TALON 1000R

ENZO

ENZO

Apr 27, 2020
CENTRAL NEW JERSEY
Ownership

1. Talon R
Whats up fellas? I'm new to the Honda Talon not new to the SXS world. I just traded in a custom Polaris RZR last week and picked a 1000R.
I've been reading on this forum for a week now and their is a ton of knowledge and support here.
Looking to change tires and wheels for a square set up. Tires preferably 30x10x15 all the way around. Can anyone tell me what stock off set is on the rims?
I was thinking a 6+1 or a 5 +1 would keep it like a stock set up but not sure.
Sorry if this has been asked.

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Whats up fellas? I'm new to the Honda Talon not new to the SXS world. I just traded in a custom Polaris RZR last week and picked a 1000R.
I've been reading on this forum for a week now and their is a ton of knowledge and support here.
Looking to change tires and wheels for a square set up. Tires preferably 30x10x15 all the way around. Can anyone tell me what stock off set is on the rims?

Welcome to the club from Tennessee;)
Pics

Reactions: Biteme
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Welcome from The Great Lakes State 😎

Pics or it didn’t happen.

#NTC

ENZO

ENZO

Apr 27, 2020
CENTRAL NEW JERSEY
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’m in love gents!
4FF7C591 64F6 4B20 9C35 324C70ABEE49
39988501 41AA 4CC5 A662 DA3E96E0EA77
D75EEF03 5CA4 4A52 A2FE E86F084B021C

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The stock tires and rims are wider in the rear and the offsets are also different (50 mm front 33 mm rear) so therefore, the hub to hub width is 80 mm narrower in the rear. To use the same wheels/tires all the way around and have the front and rear width the same, you will need to use 40 mm (approx. 1.5") spacers on each side in the rear.

Reactions: BWAF and Isaiah
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I run
Welcome to the club from Tennessee;)
Pics
6 + 1 front, 5 + 2 rear, no spacers and same width as stock, we ride mostly tight wooded trails.

Reactions: Isaiah
ENZO

ENZO

Apr 27, 2020
CENTRAL NEW JERSEY
Ownership

1. Talon R
T
The stock tires and rims are wider in the rear and the offsets are also different (50 mm front 33 mm rear) so therefore, the hub to hub width is 80 mm narrower in the rear. To use the same wheels/tires all the way around and have the front and rear width the same, you will need to use 40 mm (approx. 1.5") spacers on each side in the rear.
I run

6 + 1 front, 5 + 2 rear, no spacers and same width as stock, we ride mostly tight wooded trails.

Ok i think i got it. Thanks.

advertisement
B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
welcome and remember the Red ones are fastest LOL

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I run

This combination is not correct for a TALON.

6+1 Front and 4+3 Rear is as close as you can get on a Talon without using spacers but you will be wider on one axle depending on what brand wheel you use because the X+Y offsets are not accurate and each manufacturer does different offsets and calls them the same.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This combination is not correct for a TALON.

6+1 Front and 4+3 Rear is as close as you can get on a Talon without using spacers but you will be wider on one axle depending on what brand wheel you use because the X+Y offsets are not accurate and each manufacturer does different offsets and calls them the same.
That was for a P1, you can do the same for any model, that have different factory wheel offset from front to rear, Race Line Wheels is a good place to start your research. You can also measure your factory offsets. And order the same off sets with all four rims the same width?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
That was for a P1, you can do the same for any model, that have different factory wheel offset from front to rear, Race Line Wheels is a good place to start your research. You can also measure your factory offsets. And order the same off sets with all four rims the same width?
I tried to tell you politely that you were not correct but you couldn't leave it well enough alone so here you go again talking nonsense out of your ass. You have absolutely no clue what the hell you are talking about. I told you to go back to the Pioneer forums and f***ing stay there last week for this very reason. You are injecting Pioneer garbage here in the Talon forums and confusing the OP and he will end up with the wrong wheels if he listens to you.

You cannot simply measure the offsets on the Talon and use the same because the stock wheels and tires are different widths. The factory offsets are 50 mm front and 33 mm rear and if you use those offsets with the same rim widths on a Talon you will end up 2 inches narrower in the rear.

So, once again, go back to the Pioneer forums and quit confusing these poor new Talon owners. Your advise here is not accurate or welcome.

@ENZO, do not listen to Smitty335. His advise will cause you nothing but headaches. There is plenty of correct information about wheels/tires for the Talon here on the forums . I wanted my width to be exactly even without spacers so I created a spreadsheet and found out it is impossible with the current wheels on the market. You can only acheave even width on a Talon with the same offset wheels and 1.5" spacers. Here is how it breaks down on the Talon...

First off, don't rely on the X+Y type offset, they are not accurate and different between manufacturers.

I have done a bunch of research and measuring and came up with the following.
  1. Talon tires are not 9" and 11" wide, they are 8.7" and 10.6" so your overall width may end up a bit wider than expected if using a true 10" wide tire by about 1/2 inch or more.
  2. All measurements below are for the R model and assume a true 10" wide tire. However, the offsets and width differences apply to the X model.
All stated X+Y offsets are not what they appear to be so you should really go by the metric offset. For instance...
STI's 6+1 is 50mm offset which is really 5.5+1.5
STI's 5+2 is 30mm offset which is really 4.75+2.25
STI's 4+3 is 0mm offset which is really 3.5+3.5
System 3's 5.5+1.5 (sometimes marketed as 6+1) is a 45mm offset and is actually 5.25+1.75
System 3's 4+3 is 15mm offset and is a true 4+3

Front track width is the most important to try to remain as close to stock as you can for handling/steering purposes. You want the tire scrubbing similar to stock or as close as you can get it. That is why STI came out with the 50mm (6+1). If you run a STI's 6+1 Offset with a 10" wide tire up front, you will achieve the factory track width but will be 1.3" wider overall in the front. This is the best offset to maintain stock front end geometry.

The System 3's 5.5+1.5 offset with a 10" wide tire up front, your track width will be .4" wider and 1.7" wider overall in the front. If you run a STI's 5+2 Offset with a 10" wide tire up front, your track width will be 1.6" wider and 2.9" wider overall in the front. The rear hub to hub width is 3.1" narrower than the front. Your best bet is to run the same rims front and rear and get 1.5" spacers in the rear. That way, your overall width will be the same font and rear and you can rotate your tires as an added bonus.

If you don't like spacers or don't need to rotate your tires, these combinations are currently available that make the front and rear similar in overall width without using spacers...
  • STI 50mm (6+1) on the front and STI 0mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 69.7 and 70.6 respectively (.9" wider in the rear).
  • System 3 45mm (5.5+1.5) on the front and System 3 15mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 70.1 and 69.4 respectively (.7" wider in front)
  • STI 30mm (5+2) on the front and STI 0mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 71.3 and 70.6 respectively (.7" wider in front)

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I tried to tell you politely that you were not correct but you couldn't leave it well enough alone so here you go again talking nonsense out of your ass. You have absolutely no clue what the hell you are talking about. I told you to go back to the Pioneer forums and f***ing stay there last week for this very reason. You are injecting Pioneer garbage here in the Talon forums and confusing the OP and he will end up with the wrong wheels if he listens to you.

You cannot simply measure the offsets on the Talon and use the same because the stock wheels and tires are different widths. The factory offsets are 50 mm front and 33 mm rear and if you use those offsets with the same rim widths on a Talon you will end up 2 inches narrower in the rear.

So, once again, go back to the Pioneer forums and quit confusing these poor new Talon owners. Your advise here is not accurate or welcome.

@ENZO, do not listen to Smitty335. His advise will cause you nothing but headaches. There is plenty of correct information about wheels/tires for the Talon here on the forums . I wanted my width to be exactly even without spacers so I created a spreadsheet and found out it is impossible with the current wheels on the market. You can only acheave even width on a Talon with the same offset wheels and 1.5" spacers. Here is how it breaks down on the Talon...

First off, don't rely on the X+Y type offset, they are not accurate and different between manufacturers.

1. Talon tires are not 9" and 11" wide, they are 8.7" and 10.6" so your overall width may end up a bit wider than expected if using a true 10" wide tire by about 1/2 inch or more.
  2. All measurements below are for the R model and assume a true 10" wide tire. However, the offsets and width differences apply to the X model.
All stated X+Y offsets are not what they appear to be so you should really go by the metric offset. For instance...
System 3's 5.5+1.5 (sometimes marketed as 6+1) is a 45mm offset and is actually 5.25+1.75

Front track width is the most important to try to remain as close to stock as you can for handling/steering purposes. You want the tire scrubbing similar to stock or as close as you can get it. That is why STI came out with the 50mm (6+1). If you run a STI's 6+1 Offset with a 10" wide tire up front, you will achieve the factory track width but will be 1.3" wider overall in the front. This is the best offset to maintain stock front end geometry.

The System 3's 5.5+1.5 offset with a 10" wide tire up front, your track width will be .4" wider and 1.7" wider overall in the front. If you run a STI's 5+2 Offset with a 10" wide tire up front, your track width will be 1.6" wider and 2.9" wider overall in the front. The rear hub to hub width is 3.1" narrower than the front. Your best bet is to run the same rims front and rear and get 1.5" spacers in the rear. That way, your overall width will be the same font and rear and you can rotate your tires as an added bonus.

If you don't like spacers or don't need to rotate your tires, these combinations are currently available that make the front and rear similar in overall width without using spacers...
  • STI 50mm (6+1) on the front and STI 0mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 69.7 and 70.6 respectively (.9" wider in the rear).
  • System 3 45mm (5.5+1.5) on the front and System 3 15mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 70.1 and 69.4 respectively (.7" wider in front)
  • STI 30mm (5+2) on the front and STI 0mm (4+3) on the rear. This makes the overall width 71.3 and 70.6 respectively (.7" wider in front)
Call Race Line Wheels, they know exactly how to do it. I Politely respond. Was at the Honda shop today, they had some killer Race Line Wheels for a Talon w/ BF's mounted on them, but they are behind the learning curve of wheel offsets. RZR's come from the factory with different wheel off sets front to rear as well as most?

Reactions: TripleB and Isaiah
ENZO

ENZO

Apr 27, 2020
CENTRAL NEW JERSEY
Ownership

1. Talon R

If you don't like spacers or don't need to rotate your tires, these combinations are currently available that make the front and rear similar in overall width without using spacers..

Thanks! I appreciate the info..... this is exactly what I was looking for.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks! I appreciate the info..... this is exactly what I was looking for.
One more thing that I forgot to mention. Avoid 14" wheels unless you take extra precautions, especially on the R model. They can rub on the upper control arm and tear up your rims. See this thread...

ENZO

ENZO

Apr 27, 2020
CENTRAL NEW JERSEY
Ownership

1. Talon R
One more thing that I forgot to mention. Avoid 14" wheels unless you take extra precautions, especially on the R model. They can rub on the upper control arm and tear up your rims. See this thread...

I seen a YouTube video that shared that info. I like the way the 15” rims look.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!