TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The talon belongs to my co-worker's dad but I figured I would see if someone here has had this problem.

2019 x with around 4000 miles.

It runs and drives fine but when it reaches around 40 mph it dies. No codes. It will start right back and run fine as long as no high speed. Dealer had it for 3 months and replaced fuel pump, plugs and he thinks throttle position sensor under a extended warranty. Probably a long shot but I figured i would try to help him out.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What mods done to the Talon?
Is it always the same gear it dies in?
Always 40MPH? Balls to the wall or cruising up to that speed?
Does the engine just die? Does the IP die as well? If he applies the brakes while slowing down, will it allow restart?

When did it start? After a mud pit? Randomly during a ride? One day it was good, next it wouldn't hit 40?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't have enough seat time in a Talon to know when they shift. But I wonder if it is the transmission. Maybe when it hits X gear, something internal shorts out, ECM doesn't like the signal and shuts engine to protect itself.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Does the engine just die? Does the IP die as well? If he applies the brakes while slowing down, will it allow restart?

When did it start? After a mud pit? Randomly during a ride? One day it was good, next it wouldn't hit 40?
It's bone stock but I will find out the rest.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

This is all I have as of right now.

Bone stock. I'm assuming he probably never uses manual or the paddles in auto. He doesn't know what gear it's in. Only that's in high range.

It's always between 35 and 40. Doesn't matter if he cruises to that speed or balls to the wall to that speed the engine just dies. IP stays on. Never tried a rolling restart while pressing the brake. Never swamped. One day it was good and the next day it just started dying.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Bone stock. I'm assuming he probably never uses manual or the paddles in auto. He doesn't know what gear it's in. Only that's in high range.

It's always between 35 and 40. Doesn't matter if he cruises to that speed or balls to the wall to that speed the engine just dies. IP stays on. Never tried a rolling restart while pressing the brake. Never swamped. One day it was good and the next day it just started dying.
If it is a random happened today, but not yesterday, have they inspected wiring for rodent damage?

I am curious if it can be replicated in different gears. If it always dies trying to shift 5th, will it still dies if held in 4th and given more throttle etc. Does that make sense?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If it is a random happened today, but not yesterday, have they inspected wiring for rodent damage?

I am curious if it can be replicated in different gears. If it always dies trying to shift 5th, will it still dies if held in 4th and given more throttle etc. Does that make sense?
Yes it makes sense. I'm gonna tell them tho drive it in manual and see what happens.

Last edited:
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

🤔..........have you driven it?.......just say'n!!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Tagging @PaulF

Thinking out loud here...... seems to be speed related, at least that's the info we have so far. There's 5 or 6 speed sensors on the Talon, maybe one is freaking out and losing signal.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One more question that wasn't clear from your post: Is it intermittent, or does it always and automatically happen when he hits 35-40?

Can't rule out the possibility of a ground issue as well, dunno if the Talons have shown the issue like the P1000 has been known to...

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!