Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Here we go @Alan_Vander

Now we can discuss this without getting in trouble with @Hondasxs ;)

So it's definitely not an open diff and it's not a locker.....

I'm going to have to jack up the front wheels on the [HASHTAG]#t1kx[/HASHTAG] this weekend and do some testing

Frontdiff

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Gta2a10

APSuretrac

Here's a couple pics of what they're calling LSDs, cam & pawl type.

Reactions: Mudwing and BWAF
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
yeah it looks like it but cam and pawl is like a tumble link set up on the internals of a bike rear sprocket. thats is how it acts. might get 1 full rotation but i doubt it. it really about as close as you can get to a full spool. but no road chirp when tight turning.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudwing and 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
yeah it looks like it but cam and pawl is like a tumble link set up on the internals of a bike rear sprocket. thats is how it acts. might get 1 full rotation but i doubt it. it really about as close as you can get to a full spool. but no road chirp when tight turning.

I'll jack up the front this weekend and check it out, I really haven't thought much about it cause it just works. I'll post back with my findings. Thinking with the subtrans in park and front wheels up I should be able to get an idea. I'll do it before I have a few beers so I don't get stupid, pull the diff and tear it apart just to see how it works. :confused:

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'll jack up the front this weekend and check it out, I really haven't thought much about it cause it just works. I'll post back with my findings. Thinking with the subtrans in park and front wheels up I should be able to get an idea. I'll do it before I have a few beers so I don't get stupid, pull the diff and tear it apart just to see how it works. :confused:
well the problem i have with it being a lsd. is lsd doesnt need brakes to work. if im not mistaken either polaris or can am is running them in some models.

but here is break down for lsd cam and pawl.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
well the problem i have with it being a lsd. is lsd doesnt need brakes to work. if im not mistaken either polaris or can am is running them in some models.

but here is break down for lsd cam and pawl.

I agree with you, I wouldn't consider it a LSD either with what I know about the i4wd, which isnt a lot to be honest. I'm just curious, I really expected an open diff similar to a P5 until I saw the parts diagram.

Reactions: Alan_Vander
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I agree with you, I wouldn't consider it a LSD either with what I know about the i4wd, which isnt a lot to be honest. I'm just curious, I really expected an open diff similar to a P5 until I saw the parts diagram.
its not really knowing about the i4wd that much but just watching that roller video. i really thought it was an open diff. make more sense but also require bigger housing than a cam setup. unless its a modified cam open diff. think cam and pawl but without the pawl. that would make the diff case be able to be really small. then the 4 wd actuates creating a simulated locker, im going to do some digging in that direction. i absolutely love puzzles. .

Reactions: 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
So I jacked up the [HASHTAG]#t1kx[/HASHTAG], put it in park, i4wd on and engine running (has to be running to engage). There is a definite drag when rotating the wheels but the front spin in opposite direction like a standard open diff. The drag feels similar to a LSD that has worn clutch packs or weak springs. If you spin the front without it in 4wd they both spin the same direction unless you stop one, then you get the same drag as before.

Reactions: Mudwing
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks to @JACKAL for pointing out I was blind and missed a post in another thread and @lee for the link that had the answer to my/our question in this thread.

2017 Honda Rancher 420 ATV Comparison Review - What's the Difference? Which one is Better?

This is from an article on the Rancher 420, Honda appears to have used the same design on the Talon front diff with what I refer to a a "virtual locker" (the i4wd system).

"In addition, when TraxLok 4WD mode is engaged, a torque-sensitive limited-slip front differential reduces steering effort for a lighter feel. This torque-sensitive limited-slip front differential automatically sends power to whichever front wheel has the most grip. This system also allows both wheels to maintain essentially the same speed and drive regardless of traction conditions. It also virtually eliminates torque steer and drastically reduces the effort necessary to initiate a turn, thus shortening the turning radius and improving handling."

Reactions: Mudwing
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
i dont think the talon runs the traxlok system. from what i seen they dont act the same at all. and the front driveshaft isnt locked like the traxlok system. it kinda makes sense just thinking about it . until you actually look at the 2 side by side. 9e709e8953e7eaf8ae6e599568503ae3

ToolTime

ToolTime

Oct 10, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon X
Any updates on this? I had mine up in the air and noticed the turning one tire sent the opposite tire in the same direction, which is not normal in an open differential. That being said, there wasn’t a lot of drag required to hold one still and spin the other, so certainly not “posi” or anything like it. Just wondering what all you have learned. I do understand the i4wd system pretty well, but it is all dependent on braking to slow a spinning tire and push torque to the slower tire.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!