Talon i4wd swapped to manual lockers

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I think it’s just the limitation of dct.
slow crawl doesn’t have the torque for extreme loads.

cvt can rev then engage with the meat of the power. (Then slip, wear and blow belts) learn to work with it and pick your poison.
Thats a great thought but those arent the only 2 poisons lol. Ill keep my torque converter in da 700 that i can abuse and abuse and abuse and watch others burn belts and clutches lol

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thats a great thought but those arent the only 2 poisons lol. Ill keep my torque converter in da 700 that i can abuse and abuse and abuse and watch others burn belts and clutches lol

Yea, I'm on the bench also, just watching what comes out in the wash water?

Reactions: TripleB
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yea, I'm on the bench also, just watching what comes out in the wash water?
Gods honest if talon had mechanical lock id already have one. When i buy a machine i want the least amount of electrical things on it as possible. Least amount of safety interfaces as possible. I want a machine cause its a machine and not a computer. Kinda like the old 3 wire jeeps back in the day.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Gods honest if talon had mechanical lock id already have one. When i buy a machine i want the least amount of electrical things on it as possible. Least amount of safety interfaces as possible. I want a machine cause its a machine and not a computer. Kinda like the old 3 wire jeeps back in the day.

So I guess there’s at least 2 of us lol.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4

With all due respect if a talon and krx is cyanide, a 700 is diatomaceous earth.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
With all due respect if a talon and krx is cyanide, a 700 is diatomaceous earth.
Lol. Not sure which way to take that. I know alot of people bad mouth the 700 cause they didnt and still dont understand its a midsize utility. Honestly i dont think its underpowered . To me its over geared. Comparing it to a 800 ranger of the same year it runs toe to toe with everything except its a little slower on takeoff. To me if the 1000 had a 6 speed torque converter trans . Alot of yall would be alot happier with the performance on slow terrain and mud starts.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Lol. Not sure which way to take that. I know alot of people bad mouth the 700 cause they didnt and still dont understand its a midsize utility. Honestly i dont think its underpowered . To me its over geared. Comparing it to a 800 ranger of the same year it runs toe to toe with everything except its a little slower on takeoff. To me if the 1000 had a 6 speed torque converter trans . Alot of yall would be alot happier with the performance on slow terrain and mud starts.

Oh I know exactly what the 700 limitations are. 😁

3 speeds (hard to change that)
Overall gearing (I think 45% portals and P5 diffs get you closer to useable)
Suspension (umm hard to make a utility perform like a sport sxs)
Bench seat and upright position isn’t for me.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Oh I know exactly what the 700 limitations are.

3 speeds (hard to change that)
Overall gearing (I think 45% portals and P5 diffs get you closer to useable)
Suspension (umm hard to make a utility perform like a sport sxs)
Bench seat and upright position isn’t for me.
Eh i think if the 700 was introduced with the 500 gears and topped at 40 it be a better machine for low end 45 %and 500 diffs definitely in the 37+ tire range if you can get the arms built out enough to keep from rubbing.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
When i buy a machine i want the least amount of electrical things on it as possible. Least amount of safety interfaces as possible. I want a machine cause its a machine and not a computer. Kinda like the old 3 wire jeeps back in the day.

I hear many say this, and to be clear it is entirely possible to over engineer with electronics vs. mechanical means. That said I sure bet you still want EFI instead of carburetor, CDI instead of points, EPS instead of no power steering, and electric starter instead of pull rope.

More to the original topic, this was mentioned (prior to Talon introduction) by someone who knows, that I-4WD prefers to be driven a certain way. I am over simplifying here but in essence, maintaining forward momentum and steady throttle application works the best. Doesn't matter if its deep mud or big rocks. In over 5000 miles on my P1K5LE with I-4WD I can attest this certainly seems to be accurate. I have only been in really deep mud once and stopped but could spin all 4 the tires in low range.

What is being reported by Talon owners is not what I have experienced, however I always go to low range prior to getting into high stress situations mostly rocks instead of mud. Doing so l almost never have to stop and keep moving forward even if just 4 mph.

I definitely see the logic behind the point Snuff makes about CVT vs DCT in that the belt system can "spin up" getting a higher torque load to drive line whereas DCT doesn't react anything like that.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
To me if the 1000 had a 6 speed torque converter trans . Alot of yall would be alot happier with the performance on slow terrain and mud starts.

^^^ This.

Interesting thread.

Reactions: Mudwing
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I hear many say this, and to be clear it is entirely possible to over engineer with electronics vs. mechanical means. That said I sure bet you still want EFI instead of carburetor, CDI instead of points, EPS instead of no power steering, and electric starter instead of pull rope.

More to the original topic, this was mentioned (prior to Talon introduction) by someone who knows, that I-4WD prefers to be driven a certain way. I am over simplifying here but in essence, maintaining forward momentum and steady throttle application works the best. Doesn't matter if its deep mud or big rocks. In over 5000 miles on my P1K5LE with I-4WD I can attest this certainly seems to be accurate. I have only been in really deep mud once and stopped but could spin all 4 the tires in low range.

What is being reported by Talon owners is not what I have experienced, however I always go to low range prior to getting into high stress situations mostly rocks instead of mud. Doing so l almost never have to stop and keep moving forward even if just 4 mph.

I definitely see the logic behind the point Snuff makes about CVT vs DCT in that the belt system can "spin up" getting a higher torque load to drive line whereas DCT doesn't react anything like that.
Easily until its time to work on it. I have an old cj7 with carb and upgraded cdi. I actually prefer the cdi over points but efi and carb. Ill take a carb anyday. Simply because i can adjust it in the woods on the fly. To me power steering is overated. Iv rode 4 wheelers and sxs with it and without it. Sure something big would be no problem but id rather a pump power steering than an electrical assisted system anyday. To me the ideal cvt competition is a torque converter versus an actual clutch system. Although if the dct came with a foot pedal clutch. That would be a whole new ball game. And a cvt killer.

Reactions: Mudwing and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!