Talon i4wd swapped to manual lockers

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Been talking to this guy that has a talon and this is a straight mud machine. Its on portals and i believe 36s or 37s. Hes having some kind of issue with "i4wd"limp mode where it cuts the power instead of moving. From the video kinda looks like its trying then just presses the clutch in the sense.

What would all have to be done to swap a talon to manual locker.
Minus the axles and front diff obviously.
He can have the axles made no prob.
Im not sure if talon has turf mode? Or is it locked rear?
Are the gear sizes the same between the 2 or will he have to do rear diffs also?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Isaiah
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Talon has a locked rear, no turf mode. I think there is a small difference between the front and rear ratios too. Can't help with the other questions.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
That helps with 1 means a 700 shifter would be idea for the dash.

Reactions: HondaTech
H

HondaTech

The electronics are whats going to be the big hill to climb. If the PCM doesn't sense wheel speed it would throw a code and potentially cause the same issues.

I don't think the i4WD is causing the issue, sounds like he may have an actual problem with a component. As long as the sensors can see speed from the axle it won't know the wheel side is doing. Since the portals are after the sensor location the axle should be moving at the same speed it would in a stock machine.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Been talking to this guy that has a talon and this is a straight mud machine. Its on portals and i believe 36s or 37s. Hes having some kind of issue with "i4wd"limp mode where it cuts the power instead of moving. From the video kinda looks like its trying then just presses the clutch in the sense.

What would all have to be done to swap a talon to manual locker.
Minus the axles and front diff obviously.
He can have the axles made no prob.
Im not sure if talon has turf mode? Or is it locked rear?
Are the gear sizes the same between the 2 or will he have to do rear diffs also?

The front diff internals are very similar to the original TraxLok but add a antilock brake system to provide "traction control" of sorts. If you figure out a way to swap the internals to a locker you'll have a line at your door with buyers!

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
The electronics are whats going to be the big hill to climb. If the PCM doesn't sense wheel speed it would throw a code and potentially cause the same issues.

I don't think the i4WD is causing the issue, sounds like he may have an actual problem with a component. As long as the sensors can see speed from the axle it won't know the wheel side is doing. Since the portals are after the sensor location the axle should be moving at the same speed it would in a stock machine.
Thats the problem hes having if he goes through. Hole no problem but if he stops in a hole. Problem. Hes done been through a few bounty holes in this thing and no problems its only when he stops in something with a soft bottom essentially.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I thought it could possibly be the portals but im seeing alot others on his post without portals experiencing the same exact thing. No codes. No problems till they stop in something soft. Then still no codes it just wont go.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I need someone to help me make a override for the 4x4. Im 99% sure it will work as i expect. Just need a test dummy.

What we will do is engage the 4x4 but not the i4wd.

I'm not sure how it will function in reguards to the i4wd at that point. I don't have a talon to test on.

It plugs into the front diff and you will need to supply 12v and maybe a ground.

H

HondaTech

I thought it could possibly be the portals but im seeing alot others on his post without portals experiencing the same exact thing. No codes. No problems till they stop in something soft. Then still no codes it just wont go.

So no lights on the dash at all? If the machine isn't detecting a fault and the indicators aren't lit, then it would appear that nothing is actually wrong.

Sounds like maybe the mud is stopping the machine from spinning the tires and its not a failure, just to much holding it down.

Reactions: TripleB
advertisement
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
So no lights on the dash at all? If the machine isn't detecting a fault and the indicators aren't lit, then it would appear that nothing is actually wrong.

Sounds like maybe the mud is stopping the machine from spinning the tires and its not a failure, just to much holding it down.
No lights no codes. Toss it in 2 wheel and it spins them no problem but not enough to move the machine . Toss it in 4wd and itll act like it wants to move almost like the 700s in thick mud then shut down/dethrottle. Iv only seen it in 1 spot where it really shouldnt have turned them but all the rest it should of went no prob.

Reactions: Plumber32
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I need someone to help me make a override for the 4x4. Im 99% sure it will work as i expect. Just need a test dummy.

I'm not sure how it will function in reguards to the i4wd at that point. I don't have a talon to test on.

It plugs into the front diff and you will need to supply 12v and maybe a ground.
Man if i was working right now id probably go buy 1 just for you to do it cause i love the talon look but with everyone having this issue with the i4wd around me. Not a good buy

Reactions: Plumber32
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
No lights no codes. Toss it in 2 wheel and it spins them no problem but not enough to move the machine . Toss it in 4wd and itll act like it wants to move almost like the 700s in thick mud then shut down/dethrottle. Iv only seen it in 1 spot where it really shouldnt have turned them but all the rest it should of went no prob.

......probably to prevent him from smoking the clutches, just a guess

Reactions: Alan_Vander
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Id actually like to see.a comparison talon i 4wd vs pioneer 1000 on same size tires but without the i 4wd in same hole to see if the mech does the same thing or not. But id think something like this wouldnt be an issue. 318fc585c03654731a9965dae875ec04

my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R

I'll be your test dummy!

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Id actually like to see.a comparison talon i 4wd vs pioneer 1000 on same size tires but without the i 4wd in same hole to see if the mech does the same thing or not. But id think something like this wouldnt be an issue. View attachment 212877

That's not a bad hole, but with no portals or IGR those are some big tires to move on a heavy 4 seater. A PV3 with a tune would probably help that guy in the video. You can take out the torque management with the PV3.

Reactions: Alan_Vander
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
That's not a bad hole, but with no portals or IGR those are some big tires to move on a heavy 4 seater. A PV3 with a tune would probably help that guy in the video. You can take out the torque management with the PV3.
He has a tune on it not sure it thats it or not but something like that is the same time thats stopping the one with portals.

Reactions: BWAF
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
He has a tune on it not sure it thats it or not but something like that is the same time thats stopping the one with portals.

Weird, hopefully they'll figure something out. The only time I've ever seen the i4WD legit not work was a guy trying to get through an off camber hole at Zona when the Talon first came out. It acted pretty similar to that.

Reactions: CID
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!