i4wd vibration

S

stevens

Jun 24, 2022
central wisconsin
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
have a 2021 honda pioneer 1000 le. put into 4wd first time today on gravel road. when slowing down get a metalic sound almost like it disconnects..no lights. step on gas and 3 or 4 seconds of a metalic axle noise? is this normal?
thanks

Reactions: Smitty335
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
have a 2021 honda pioneer 1000 le. put into 4wd first time today on gravel road. when slowing down get a metalic sound almost like it disconnects..no lights. step on gas and 3 or 4 seconds of a metalic axle noise? is this normal?
thanks
Welcome from south Florida

We need pics, or a video w/ sound if you can so it can be best diagnosed.

Could it be the engine lugging sound, like maybe you're in a gear too low? Maybe an exhaust shield rattle......I've had a small rattle coming from one of my heat shields since new (can't pin point it) so I just turn up the radio 😂😂😂

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Complete Stop, shift to 2wd, drive, making sure it engages, then shift into I4wd on the fly. Dash should say I4wd,
Then sift out of I4wd to 2wd on the fly, dash should say 2wd.
Then stop completely and shift into turf and 2wd should be gone from the dash.

The operative is the "stop" before shifting in and out of 2wd. Making sure you have your rear differential engaging-disengaging, correctly and not making any noise.

That's how I know what my LE is doing.
My rear differential cables needed adjustment when new. Likely yours does too.
As JE said, they do make some noise from other normal stuff.
JMO

Last edited:
J

Justonly

Feb 16, 2021
Mound, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does it sound like rattling pipes under you seat. If it does HONDA says that is normal. I am not happy.
I go across a frozen lake up here and all it does is make that ungodly noise running in snow. They claim you are not
supposed to ride it on hard packed trails either. If i knew this before a would have gotten the regular 4-wheel drive.
My chevy equinox AWD does not may a noise. WHO KNEW.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Does it sound like rattling pipes under you seat. If it does HONDA says that is normal. I am not happy.
I go across a frozen lake up here and all it does is make that ungodly noise running in snow. They claim you are not
supposed to ride it on hard packed trails either. If i knew this before a would have gotten the regular 4-wheel drive.
My chevy equinox AWD does not may a noise. WHO KNEW.
I'm not going to say a dang word!

• Haha
Reactions: JenElio
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My I 4wd makes absolutely no noise when engaged. Any speed.
There is a tire scuff sound just like all 4wd in low lock, except you don't get the feedback in steering and sharp turns.
I ride mine on all surfaces because I sometimes forget to shift out of 4wd, because it's that smooth.

Last edited:
B

benji03

May 18, 2021
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Do not currently own
Not sure if your issue has been resolved but I had this exact issue (below)with my 2021se last spring just before my first/break in service. Found this post back then under a Talon thread. No noise or issues since.. Good luck!!
Gentlemen,

Good news. Honda has addressed my issue. So what happened is from the factory the shaft from the sub trans to the front differential was out of alignment. The shaft has slip rings that allow the shaft to be clocked differently at each side. The shaft was 90 degrees off from where it should be. There are 'A' and 'B' marks on the shaft that line up with each perspective side of the sub trans and differential. After aligning the shaft up where it should have been the noise stopped. The noise was actually the binding of the U-joints at certain RPMs and causing an oscillation. Fortunately, no damage was done to the vehicle. I was told I was 1 of 4 people across the country that got to experience this. I told them I was glad to be a part of the club.... lol.

Last edited:
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thank god it's not a belt problem......

• Haha

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!