• Thread starter Richard-Andrews_67
  • Start date
R

Richard-Andrews_67

Feb 14, 2019
South Byron, New York
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have a 2017 p 700 with about 3500 miles. In the last 500 to 1000 miles I have noticed a small vibration when I put it in 4 wheel drive. Everything is tight when I checked the front end. Good wheel bearings and no oil leaks found, diff oil changed and it looked fine. I this just normal as the miles add up or is it a more serious problem to come?

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2017 p 700 with about 3500 miles. In the last 500 to 1000 miles I have noticed a small vibration when I put it in 4 wheel drive. Everything is tight when I checked the front end. Good wheel bearings and no oil leaks found, diff oil changed and it looked fine. I this just normal as the miles add up or is it a more serious problem to come?
What speed are you driving with it in 4x4? My 2014 700-4 had a vibration in 4 wheel drive. It got worse the faster I drove. I don't think there was anything wrong with it. That's just how it was

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Both of mine always had/have slightly more vibration in 4wd. Depending on how treadware and air pressure are affecting tires, it can be a little worse or better, but it's always there to some degree.

You can also pump a bit of grease into the slip joints. Could be getting dry.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Your 2017 manual page 89
4WD -
This mode supplies power to the front and rear wheels. Steering will require slightly more effort than with 2WD. This mode is recommended for driving on surfaces with relatively poor traction.
That last sentence is an answer, sort of. The common man would think, yep that means more traction to help me get out, and you would be correct. But, it also allows the tires to slip independently, even though they are locked together.
The differential gears are slightly different sizes. The tires, for sure, are different sizes, even when new. And now you tie them together, all to the same driveline, and force them to turn at the same speed. On dry surface, the gears are binding, fighting against each other, there has to be slippage somewhere, and you feel it as vibration. Hopefully you only feel it as slipping of the tires.
If you are in 4WD, or 4WD Diff Lock, on hard dry surface, pavement is even worse, yes, you will feel it/hear it.
I know you do not have turf mode, but I already had this diagram made up so....oh well, haha
Drive mode Honda Pioneer 1000

ONLY use 4WD, or 4WD Diff Lock, on loose or slippery surfaces. 👍
edit to add
You joined in 2019, and this is your second post.
WHERE are the pics of your rig?
Come on man post up some pics. We want to see it. hahahaha
Have a good day

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!