Talon i4wd swapped to manual lockers

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
That video is torque management. If the clutch engages much more, it will kill the motor. Thats not a 4wd issue. Just need lower gearing.
Yeah but there is one on portals with 45% reduction in the same hole doing same thing. To me Almost feels like honda shot themselves in the foot on this one. So heres what we will make a machine that has not belt but where youd burn or slip a belt we also cant go. And i dont like that cause my 700 breezes through holes like this.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah but there is one on portals with 45% reduction in the same hole doing same thing. To me Almost feels like honda shot themselves in the foot on this one. So heres what we will make a machine that has not belt but where youd burn or slip a belt we also cant go. And i dont like that cause my 700 breezes through holes like this.

Yes it does!

Reactions: Alan_Vander
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand

A talon with 45% portals in low, first gear is still about 30% taller geared than a KRX in low, stock. A good tune can help get the wheels spinning in a pioneer or talon, lots of ignition timing pulled down low.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
A talon with 45% portals in low, first gear is still about 30% taller geared than a KRX in low, stock. A good tune can help get the wheels spinning in a pioneer or talon, lots of ignition timing pulled down low.
Yeah but 45% with 37s is about like running 25s on these. Its actually less of tire size than that but add in rotating weight and that would be the equivalent. This is the thing im trying to figure out why this happens. And what can fix it. Cause these machines should be turning them in this situation. It actually does in 2wd but wont in 4wd unless its already moving.

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah but 45% with 37s is about like running 25s on these. Its actually less of tire size than that but add in rotating weight and that would be the equivalent. This is the thing im trying to figure out why this happens. And what can fix it. Cause these machines should be turning them in this situation. It actually does in 2wd but wont in 4wd unless its already moving.

What if on dry ground you hook to a tree with the talon. Will it spin? Or only if you bump it? Or either.

Reactions: Montecresto
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
What if on dry ground you hook to a tree with the talon. Will it spin? Or only if you bump it? Or either.
Pioneer spun from a dead stop after hooking to my stuck camper the last weekend up but its was diff lock machine. Smoked both right side tires.
5E61372C 6F81 47B6 AEF7 F9171C8E4167

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Not sure but i have a feeling the i4wd is not just tuned to the brakes. I have a feeling its an added bit into the throttle as well aka throttle at 50% vs front shaft sensors not registering a certain rpm then kicking it out. Id really like to see the pioneer i4wd and manual comparison to see if it is the i 4wd or the torque management. Thats the only true way i could think of seeing if it is tied in the way i think it might be. And if it is and thats what is shutting it down how do you bypass that part alone.
But it kinda comes down to when we were riding at rrb. When i had to play anchor just because of my tires on the hill. Which is also where i noticed my power drop from the altitude. Yall could spin them all day right there but thats just slick and yalls tires wasnt made for that specific terrain. I have rode with a few 1k since then and they are getting it with tires like mine same size and 25% reduction. But i have yet to see someone with i4wd around me besides the talons.

advertisement
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Not sure but i have a feeling the i4wd is not just tuned to the brakes. I have a feeling its an added bit into the throttle as well aka throttle at 50% vs front shaft sensors not registering a certain rpm then kicking it out. Id really like to see the pioneer i4wd and manual comparison to see if it is the i 4wd or the torque management. Thats the only true way i could think of seeing if it is tied in the way i think it might be. And if it is and thats what is shutting it down how do you bypass that part alone.
But it kinda comes down to when we were riding at rrb. When i had to play anchor just because of my tires on the hill. Which is also where i noticed my power drop from the altitude. Yall could spin them all day right there but thats just slick and yalls tires wasnt made for that specific terrain. I have rode with a few 1k since then and they are getting it with tires like mine same size and 25% reduction. But i have yet to see someone with i4wd around me besides the talons.

A diff-lock pioneer with 30"+ tires will do the same as the video if you get all the tires bound up good. Basically just bog and not want to move. The I4WD doesn't come into play if none of the tires are moving. In the Dynojet Powervision 3, you can see and adjust the Engine Torque map (Talon ECU) and the more throttle you give the machine without the rpm going up, the more ignition timing is pulled out, reducing power (Worse with the pioneer than the talon). In mud, you have the suction effect and its covering a lot larger surface area of the tire. With the DCT, the clutch starts locking up right off idle, theres not a whole lot of power being made there vs a belt machine being able to rev up some and get more into the meat of the powerband.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I never should of asked this. Yes i know about suction and how it works. But the more and more yall are telling me about these machines the less i want onenone of the machines i know of with 30 or over are without either portals or igr as far as around me. That i know of. that are doing this. But i also havent seen anything but the talon doing it.

P

Patron1960

Jun 12, 2020
Willis TEXAS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am about to do my first oil change on my 2020 Pioneer 1000-5 LE and I was told to only use Honda oil due to the tranny using the motor oil as tranny fluid. Now this was a dealer telling me that so it may be marketing! I want to use auto synthetic oil and just want to ask?

P

Patron1960

Jun 12, 2020
Willis TEXAS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am about to do my first oil change on my 2020 Pioneer 1000-5 LE and I was told to only use Honda oil due to the tranny using the motor oil as tranny fluid. Now this was a dealer telling me that so it may be marketing! I want to use auto synthetic oil and just want to ask?
I thought this was a new post so sorry it’s in the wrong thread!

Bohnt10

Bohnt10

RoostBoost Equipped...
Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2017
NW Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A diff-lock pioneer with 30"+ tires will do the same as the video if you get all the tires bound up good. Basically just bog and not want to move. The I4WD doesn't come into play if none of the tires are moving. In the Dynojet Powervision 3, you can see and adjust the Engine Torque map (Talon ECU) and the more throttle you give the machine without the rpm going up, the more ignition timing is pulled out, reducing power (Worse with the pioneer than the talon). In mud, you have the suction effect and its covering a lot larger surface area of the tire. With the DCT, the clutch starts locking up right off idle, theres not a whole lot of power being made there vs a belt machine being able to rev up some and get more into the meat of the powerband.

This just happened to me this past weekend at Wildcat. Got bound up on rocks at the corners and couldn’t spin the tires. Managed to get it free, but it way harder than it should’ve been....

T

Talon4TW

May 18, 2019
Kissimmee Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
I need someone to help me make a override for the 4x4. Im 99% sure it will work as i expect. Just need a test dummy.

What we will do is engage the 4x4 but not the i4wd.

I'm not sure how it will function in reguards to the i4wd at that point. I don't have a talon to test on.

It plugs into the front diff and you will need to supply 12v and maybe a ground.
Hi
If you still need someone to test it, I would like to do it.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
i'm not much help on the current issue, but i'm here to say my Talon has defueled or shut down like you are describing. i was crawling up some loose and rocky sections, it wigged out and shut down on me. and i had to role back about 2 feet and give it the gusto to make it up it. i wasn't able to stop mid way and "crawl" up the ledge. i actually thought it was going to role on me. from then on i don't crawl or stop anywhere a tire can spin. i make sure it is moving and get the juice on before and no issue.
i could hear the engine burp kinda like bouncing off the revlimiter. but i was at the just off idle.
so i'm here to confirm the shuit down issue. but i'm of no help in why it does it. i has happened to me 3-4 times.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I think it’s just the limitation of dct.
slow crawl doesn’t have the torque for extreme loads.

cvt can rev then engage with the meat of the power. (Then slip, wear and blow belts) learn to work with it and pick your poison.

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I need someone to help me make a override for the 4x4. Im 99% sure it will work as i expect. Just need a test dummy.

What we will do is engage the 4x4 but not the i4wd.

I'm not sure how it will function in reguards to the i4wd at that point. I don't have a talon to test on.

It plugs into the front diff and you will need to supply 12v and maybe a ground.
I'm curious to see what you come up with as well as the results.

Reactions: Montecresto
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!