highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Mudbuster fender flares help a LOT with keeping the pre-filter clean after a muddy ride yesterday. They also keep mud out of my shirt collar! These were installed immediately after our first muddy trail ride!
Dirty prefilter

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
After over 200 of these intake kits sold, the inevitable first customer return has come to pass. Customer says it's too noisy, although I tried to explain that the Talons aren't quiet to begin with. He mentioned a whining noise, which I don't believe is from the intake. That's more of a gear whine like transmission or something else. I hear the whining noise on my Talon at a steady speed down the road. The intake would be a sucking sound, which does happen mainly if you stab the throttle. That's not a whining sound though.

So, very soon I'll be taking some decibel readings, probably at the location of the passenger seat headrest, of stock versus my intake just for the knowledge and if anyone is interested in the numbers.

I don't have a problem refunding the item and fully expected some returns out of the volume that has sold. I did expect more returns earlier as more people tried the intake. Now I'm about 10 months into sales and still selling strong so I can't complain.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
In other news, PPEI is installing my intake version on their Kraftwerks race car and will be dyno testing soon. I don't expect big horsepower gains but do expect lower temps on the collected air, which turns into horsepower, and a slight ram air effect at race speed. We shall see how the testing goes. If I can get one of these kits on a pro level race car like PPEI this will open some doors!

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Just to let others know, the intake kit with the Desertcraft filter does fit with the Brick City Fab roll cage. It's tight but it does clear.
Thank you @highpocket74 for the quality product and @CumminsPusher for the coustom paint match.

20230114 170509

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
After over 200 of these intake kits sold, the inevitable first customer return has come to pass. Customer says it's too noisy, although I tried to explain that the Talons aren't quiet to begin with. He mentioned a whining noise, which I don't believe is from the intake. That's more of a gear whine like transmission or something else. I hear the whining noise on my Talon at a steady speed down the road. The intake would be a sucking sound, which does happen mainly if you stab the throttle. That's not a whining sound though.
It's definitely gear whine, I've heard it in the 3 Talons I've been in. It's bad enough that I wear foam ear plugs all the time. Hearing loss is permanent and progressive. Since we're men and it doesn't 'hurt', we ignore it until it's too late.

For reference and not using your snorkel, I kept the goofy stock air intake chamber and still have quite a loud sucking sound when I'm pedal to the metal. It's physics, 1000 cc breathing air.

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
Make sure it makes you money. They’re certainly going to mark up whatever the unit price is to make themselves money.
As well as ensure there is no exclusivity preventing you from selling direct or authorizing other retail outlets to sell.

Reactions: CID and NTCPrezJB
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I received an interesting call yesterday from a California Honda dealership. The parts manager is interested in carrying my intake kits! He said his mechanics saw them online and like the system. They want to begin offering these to customers as an option to particle separators. I guess I'll see where this goes. Wish me luck!

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
I received an interesting call yesterday from a California Honda dealership. The parts manager is interested in carrying my intake kits! He said his mechanics saw them online and like the system. They want to begin offering these to customers as an option to particle separators. I guess I'll see where this goes. Wish me luck!
That is awesome news @highpocket74!

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon x4
2d50e68f0b289df3dd5695a21098af7c

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
Congrats!!! That's awesome news and confirms my decision to purchase and install your intake over 1,500 miles ago.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I've finally found a US company that can bend and cut to length the tubes to my required shape! The cost is basically a wash compared to the time it takes me to fabricate all of the tubes. I can barely stay caught up with orders right now! It's expensive because I have to order so many! I'll probably try this approach at least one time.

At least with no 2023 changes yet from Honda, that gives me another year to make these. If Honda hasn't made an air box change within 5 model years, I doubt they ever plan too.

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
I've finally found a US company that can bend and cut to length the tubes to my required shape! The cost is basically a wash compared to the time it takes me to fabricate all of the tubes. I can barely stay caught up with orders right now! It's expensive because I have to order so many! I'll probably try this approach at least one time.

At least with no 2023 changes yet from Honda, that gives me another year to make these. If Honda hasn't made an air box change within 5 model years, I doubt they ever plan too.
Once Honda releases a design they stick with it for several years with very slight adjustments. Honestly, I'm surprised they moved the instrument gages and kept the old design. Looking at their motorcycle history (Goldwing specifically) they usually hold all their cards before a big release. To me, that means they plan on keeping this setup for a long time.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
We are up at Wolfpen gap this weekend. Finally go to test the intake kit filter cover in POURING DOWN RAIN for a few hours! Had about half a teaspoon of water in the air box drain, that’s all after 53 miles of rain. And I’m talking absolutely hard rain!!! I’m happy with that performance. Filterwears makes a good product for me.

The Talon sat outside in the rain also, which began at 2 am. We started riding at10 am and rode until 3 pm, almost entirely in the rain.

Last edited:
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
We are up at Wolfpen gap this weekend. Finally go to test the intake kit filter cover in POURING DOWN RAIN for a few hours! Had about half a teaspoon of water in the air box drain, that’s all after 53 miles of rain. And I’m talking absolutely hard rain!!! I’m happy with that performance. Filterwears makes a good product for me.

The Talon sat outside in the rain also, which began at 2 am. We started riding at10 am and rode until 3 pm, almost entirely in the rain.
Make sure the primary filter is completely dry or the little wire mesh will start to rust very quickly on the clean side.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Want to give a shout out to 10-80! Great communication and a solid product. Got the filter and dust screen fir the Talon and my P1
Fitment was good and shipping was fast. Gave a little forum discount as well.

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon x4
Want to give a shout out to 10-80! Great communication and a solid product. Got the filter and dust screen fir the Talon and my P1
Fitment was good and shipping was fast. Gave a little forum discount as well.
View attachment 381412View attachment 381413
Yep, after reading on here while waiting on my Talon, this was one of the first mods I had to do!

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X

Well, my first order of one-piece, CNC cut-to-length bent tubes is on its way! Two weeks late on shipment but at least now they are moving. These will arrive the week of April 10 (while I'm on a family vacation). The week of April 16 I'll be a busy bee welding the cover plates on and getting to powder coat.

I received a few pre-orders while waiting on the new tubes but refunded the money after a couple of weeks because I do not want to be that guy that holds someone's money hostage! They were very understanding and still want the products when available. The pre-order option was disabled after that while I've still been receiving "back in stock requests". Those requests will automatically be answered once the inventory is updated. The first goal is to get the pre-orders out and then start building inventory. I have plenty of pre-filters and covers to fill orders once the tubes are ready.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!