highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
This project has turned into my second most successful product design in only 1 month. It all started with the idea to design a simple to install intake tube that didn't look homemade. My first design was to use the passenger side intake grate as passage for the tube. Although this was successful, replicating the design proved to be very challenging. There were many tubing bends required as well as replacement parts for the OEM plastic grate to close the opening around the tube. After building two of these I decided this was not very practical.

As much as I didn't want to cut my factory plastic for a tube installation, I figured I'd have to in order to develop the parts anyway. This turned out to be a good decision! The design idea came to me rather quickly but building the first few versions was a tough puzzle. I wanted the tube to penetrate the fender at a specific location that only required cutting one piece of plastic. That location was determined and the challenge was set as I had to figure the compound angles to get the tube from the air box inlet to the fender location with the simplest construction and allowing the inner fender to still be used.

The end result after much measuring, marking, cutting and welding was this.
IMG 9159

IMG 9158

The first good version is still running on my machine. After I was satisfied with the design, I then had to figure out jigs to replicate the parts required. I'm completely new to manufacturing practices so I'm no jigging expert. The cover plate was not too bad. I knew I wanted it laser cut and cnc bent for a perfect fit. The tube was a bit tough to build a jig for to get the clocking correct of the compound angles. But the whole assembly was the real task! That jig took some time to build correctly. In fact the first 5 tubes I built with the jig were test fit on my machine to verify a consistent fit. It worked! I'm still using that jig also to produce the finished product design.

IMG 9259

After my successful prototype built I did some Arkansas ride testing with friends and the intake kit. We spent a weekend of riding the Wolfpen and Fourche Mountain trails. One of the guys had a brand new stock Talon. After riding 200 miles that weekend we compared air filters and these are the results.

Talon with no pre-filter versus Talon with pre-filter.
FILTER COMPARISON

My pre-filter setup proved itself the first ride out! For an entire weekend we rode the same trails in the same conditions, often running 7th and 8th positions in the group but never out front. My front

I knew the question would come up about creating air restrictions with a second filter. The PPEI guys in Lake Charles were kind enough to test my Talon on their dyno. After 15 pulls on the dyno, 5 to warm up the Talon, 5 with the Deertcraft pre-filter and 5 without, the dyno showed no loss in performance. That translated into less than 1/10th horsepower difference between the runs.
DC Dynojet graph

Now that I had real data I knew I could sell these kits.

Desertcraft has been an excellent partner to work with for these filters. They are always helpful and make top notch US made products. I've been a dealer for almost three years and have NEVER had an issue with them. That is why I have chosen them to be my sole filter provider. They are a small California business, husband and wife owned since 1994. Terrific people and products.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Just placed an order an hour ago. Already got a tracking number. 😎
Yep. I try to get them out quickly. Sometimes I have to wait a few days for powder coat, but I’ll put that delay notice on the website. Otherwise I ship the same or the next day, depending on the time orders are placed. I still have a day job so most times I pack evenings and ship the next day.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Picked a tube with a new test color today. Metallic Gray. Hopefully to match the gray fenders of 2019-21 Talon X and the Gray Talon X4. Will share pics once installed. These tubes should blend with factory plastic like the Red, White and Blue do.

Smittyp

Smittyp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 3, 2020
Morgan co. Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
I’ve got the black one but now I’m gonna have to talk the wife into letting me get the gray one 😁

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
This color wasn’t an option earlier because I was trying to keep this simple. Then it quickly expanded to blue, white and red. This Honda. Plots blend so well with the fenders I thought why not a gray for those machines. So this last trip to powder coat I asked for gray color swatches and found 2 out of about 50 that were close.

if anyone wants to have theirs painted locally I can provide the color code. Not a big deal.

In other news I have a request from a multimillion dollar and well known performance company to private label my intakes and shifter plates. That could be a big deal for me but I’ve got to read up and get some guidance on setting up a deal like that. I’m excited that someone wants my parts to put their name on but a little hesitant also.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This color wasn’t an option earlier because I was trying to keep this simple. Then it quickly expanded to blue, white and red. This Honda. Plots blend so well with the fenders I thought why not a gray for those machines. So this last trip to powder coat I asked for gray color swatches and found 2 out of about 50 that were close.

if anyone wants to have theirs painted locally I can provide the color code. Not a big deal.

In other news I have a request from a multimillion dollar and well known performance company to private label my intakes and shifter plates. That could be a big deal for me but I’ve got to read up and get some guidance on setting up a deal like that. I’m excited that someone wants my parts to put their name on but a little hesitant also.
Make sure it makes you money. They’re certainly going to mark up whatever the unit price is to make themselves money.

Tacoma77

Tacoma77

Jul 16, 2021
Illinois
Ownership

1. Talon R
The gray looks awesome! Very pleased with this color match. What do you guys think? My Talon finally got an upgrade from the first tube I made. It was hacked on and welded multiple times the painted to try!
View attachment 348545
View attachment 348546
Would this color be a option if I placed a order for my 21 live valve R ? Very interested I've been looking at your setup for a while now
Thanks
Justin

Reactions: 906UP and Smittyp
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!