Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
The powder coat cost on these is astronomical!!! It is the most durable coating as the steel will be blasted, primed for powder then powder coated. This just puts me way up there on cost!!

Last edited:
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
An order for 10 sets of step kickers is in to the benders with an expected delivery of 2-3 weeks.

Steel plates have been cut by my local guys in ONE day and are ready for pickup!! I've got some jig work to fine tune for quicker batch runs. I've got to find a box to ship in and get some shipping cost estimates.

These are not going to be as cheap as I wanted but I designed with 0.125" (1/8") heavy wall steel tube, 1/4" steel mounting plates MIG weleded with class 10 bolts; blasted, primed and powder coated for the most durable finish. Cheap Chinese bars are on ebay if you want to see how long they will last. For comparison, I priced out a set of S3 nerf bars shipped to me (within the state of Louisiana) and that total came to $1000 shipped to my door.

Reactions: Tramguage1
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
My efforts to make these "Step Kickers" fit perfectly every time include this welding jig. The jig holes are precisely located with the cad model so the jig can be laser cut and cnc bent. This should help make fabrication faster and the precise. This one jig will work for the left and right side step kickers.

I'll weld nuts to the bottom and run bolts through mounting plates to set their positions. The mounting plate holes are slotted to allow a small amount of misalignment. The jig holes are not slotted. I'll add some stop plates to set the mounting plate centered on the jig mounting holes. After this first run and if the step kickers sell ok, I'll make a few revisions to add male and female components to the mounting plates and tube ends so they lock together in position for welding. This is the way I build my under seat cargo boxes. Those boxes are build in 2 halves that snap together like a puzzle requiring no fixture to weld them. I don't get jazzed up as much about welding the parts as I do for figuring out things to build and how to build them. And another fun part of this is that the guy at the local fab shop with all the CNC equipment enjoys the challenges I send him to build.

This is all interesting and fun for me! I only hope that one day I can do this full time!!

Talon step kicker jig v10

C

chucksmith0706

Jul 22, 2020
Louisiana
Look amazing. Great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

chucksmith0706

Jul 22, 2020
Louisiana
You live in Louisiana?

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
So close, I live in Pineville.

Maybe within the next 10 years, the NF will clear the trails at Livingston so we can ride again!
I'm still holding my breath on Enduro. They mentioned widening the trails there and after driving by to check progress I see why. The place is almost a prairie now!! They clear cut nearly the entire forest that the trails went through!! Should be a piece of cake to widen the trails, if they ever start work. We usually go to Sandstone. It's the best trail in the NF here.

Reactions: chucksmith0706
C

chucksmith0706

Jul 22, 2020
Louisiana
Well if you get ambitious on pioneer sliders let me know. I have the Super ATV ones, as they are the only ones that play nice with Super ATV skids plates also.

Reactions: Coeus
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
The first pair of Step Kickers is set for shipping to the customer on Monday. Got a few pairs welded up Saturday and ready for the customer's choice of paint with more to come. Store item is in stock as raw steel. Choose a color to pre-order. It should take no longer than a week to ship a pre-order of a fabricated pair that only needs paint.

IMG 2012
IMG 2013

Improvements since the first prototype are the step is 1" wider at the front and 3" longer toward the rear. The proportions look more correct as well as the step being usefully larger.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Received an inquiry on the step height so I got some measurements today on my Talon with stock wheels and tires.

The top of the step is 13.5" off the ground
The lowest point of the Talon threshold is about 22" off the ground.
The Step Kickers are reducing the step-in height by almost half. This is significant if your wife is like mine.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
The current paint price is killing me! I'm going to change to a less expensive powder coat system on these. I don't have an exact price yet from the local shop but this will include acid wash etching and matte black powder, no blasting or priming. This is also done in an assembly line so that helps lower the cost too. Color options will still be the same price. I'll keep everyone posted here.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I've added an option on the website for Matte Black paint for $50. This is accomplished by replacing the blasting and priming with acid cleaning of the new steel. Part of that also is that I can have these run in an assembly line for powder coating. Painting is only done every other week, though, which could mean a 2 week ship delay after ordered. I can only do this with Matte Black finish. The other Honda colors will still be a higher price.

Reactions: chucksmith0706
Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
What is the widest point measurement with these on? And what is the lowest point measurement with stock tires (which nobody uses)?

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
This is a measurement on my machine with stock tires. (edit) These are no lower than the frame rail that they mount to.
Width is not measured but no wider than the rear tires. That was my parameter limit.

IMG 2060
IMG 2080

Last edited: