highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Design progression so far. I really like this design! It's simple but gets the job done. Waiting on tubing quotes and a sample that's still a couple weeks out. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the main goal was a step (for the wives and kids), secondary goal was a tree kicker style protrusion. The cad models look great but I can't wait to build the sample unit.

Design iteration is fun! I like to build exactly what I want then keep tweaking away at it to simplify fabrication. A third attachment may be needed but I don't want to add that unless after beating this up a little proves that I need it. Not all tree kickers have 3 attachments. I'm hoping the thick plates and tubes will be more than strong enough.

The mounting plates will be 1/4" thick for strength. The tube ends that weld to the mounting plates will be beveled for a strong weld since everything is hanging from that.

View of the outside.
Talon flat nerf bar with plate step v18

View of the inside shows the bent and coped plate for the step. This design change eliminates the inside tube while retaining step strength.
Talon flat nerf bar with plate step v18 2

Reactions: Smitty335 and Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
^^ A whole lot easier to do on the screen vs bending and welding, eh, B? :)

Reactions: Smitty335
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
^^ A whole lot easier to do on the screen vs bending and welding, eh, B? :)
If you are refering to the physical fabrication, yes! My dad and I will still have to weld up the cut parts. Sure is nice being able to draw what I want and send the cad model to a CNC shop that can make all the parts with precision every time!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If you are refering to the physical fabrication, yes!
Yes.

My big bro is a welder/fabricator by trade (full-time gig). TIG and MIG for decades. Lots of work for the aerospace industry.

He also owns his own mobile welding business. He's almost never NOT on a side job.

I know none of what you, your dad, or my bro do with your hands is easy (nohomo).

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Yes.

My big bro is a welder/fabricator by trade (full-time gig). TIG and MIG for decades. Lots of work for the aerospace industry.

He also owns his own mobile welding business. He's almost never NOT on a side job.

I know none of what you, your dad, or my bro do with your hands is easy (nohomo).
It's hotter than hell down here right now too! I dread welding! I hit it early in the morning when it's only 80 degrees!

I do cad work everyday, most of the day, when useless meetings don't interrupt. I love "building" things this way. I am having to learn Fusion though, which I don't use for work. We use Autocad with third party add-ons for work.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
We use AutoCAD and Solid Works, but I'm no designer - just head of the IT department that supports them. I most likely couldn't draw a straight line with either ... :D OK, maybe that's a little over exaggeration.

My dad was a draftsman, then CAD jokey and checker for Ford. He learned CD&T in his 50's when the older guys refused to do it. They all got laid off or retired early not long after that, while he didn't. He retired in 2000 on his own terms.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Update:
Talon tubes are scheduled to ship to me by Friday 8-25-23.

After further review of the P1000, I'm undecided for sure yet if I want to design nerf bars for this. The problem is that the available connection points under the P1000 would mean that the nerf bars would become the lowest part of the under carriage and become a hangup point for crossing over obstacles. I don't like this. The JEI bars are designed like this. They did a good job to minimize hanging below the frame. I don't think I could improve that aspect.

The SuperATV rub rails are connected to the outside honda tube on the P1000 which requires drilling holes through the Honda tube in order to mount these. This is a better design for eliminating a hangup point but their tube is really only a rub rail. If I were to design something, I would probably take the SATV route of mounting.

Let me get the Talon bars figured out first. And I REALLY want to work on that Talon air box this fall and winter when the intake tube production slows down a little. I actually have a speed shop asking for a better solution than the factory air box and I will work with them to extract any horsepower that's available. This product will not be cheap which means it HAS TO BE VERY GOOD!

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
The plate is bent on the inside to form a box when you include the part that rests on the tube. Scroll up several posts and those pics show the bent plate. The whole assembly is surprisingly sturdy! I'll try to get some better pictures this weekend. Monday we are going to ride in the NF north of us. There are very few rocks there but a LOT of tight trees. All of my rear fender cracks, scuffs, and scratches have been from trees. I'll see how they work as we shoehorn the Talon through the woods.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
The powder coat cost on these is astronomical!!! It is the most durable coating as the steel will be blasted, primed for powder then powder coated. This just puts me way up there on cost!!