Talon Talon R Owners - Would You Be Willing to Spend Some Money to Improve Your Turning Radius?

Would you be willing to spend (estimating $700) on a Talon R steering rack to help turning radius?

• Yes, I'd be interested and willing to spend the money.

• No, the investment isn't worth the benefit to me.

• Maybe if the cost were around $500.

Results are only viewable after voting.
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Maybe. I said "appears" and "approximately" but I think a swap would be a good place to start.

An easier method for the masses might be for someone to fabricate (or machine down) inner tie rod ends that will allow the rack to travel more. Or if there are enough threads, provide a new lock ring with a built in spacer. Kind of the opposite of the stoppers mentioned that come with the SuperATV forward arms. This would entail simply replacing the inner tie rod ends and/or lock rings, setting the toe and centering the wheel if necessary...

Examples...
View attachment 178416

Of course, all of this depends on how much abuse the outer joints will tolerate. I'm sure that Honda built in a little safety margin there but the question is how much? I was looking at the service manual (stating that the R should turn in 32 degrees) and never noticed on my machine (with 1500 miles) that my rack wasn't centered. The steering wheel was actually put on crooked and the steering centered to the crooked wheel. Checking per the manual, my machine turned 3 degrees more (35 degrees) to the left and 3 degrees less (29 degrees) to the right from the factory and my left outer joint is just fine. Last night I corrected this and centered my rack and wheel per factory specs.
Resized 20200124 232137

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the measurement. Looking at that, I doubt there is enough threads to add any spacers by the time you factor in the thickness of the lock ring and the depth at where the full threads start in the rack. There doesn't appear to be any threads until until after the lock tab notches and even if there were, we shouldn't count them because they are not 360 degrees...

Upload 2020 1 25 10 5 40

So, only options appear to be to change out the entire steering gear box (UGH!), or come up with some modified inner tie rod ends.

Time to break out the lathe :)

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Thanks for the measurement. Looking at that, I doubt there is enough threads to add any spacers by the time you factor in the thickness of the lock ring and the depth at where the full threads start in the rack. There doesn't appear to be any threads until until after the lock tab notches and even if there were, we shouldn't count them because they are not 360 degrees...

View attachment 178493

So, only options appear to be to change out the entire steering gear box (UGH!), or come up with some modified inner tie rod ends.

Time to break out the lathe :)

personally,
I would spend $217 long before permanently modifying / potentially compromising any steering gear part strength.

and I have a lathe / milling machine in my garage.

that’s just me.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
personally,
I would spend $217 long before permanently modifying / potentially compromising any steering gear part strength.

and I have a lathe / milling machine in my garage.

that’s just me.
I think you misunderstood me here. I thought this thread was more of a talk about discovery, not actually permanently modifying a machine, until it is figured out. None of us know exactly how far the outer CV and the rest of the R suspension can be pushed and I read this thread as total experimentation.

I am totally with you on this and I would never put anything modified like that on any machine for anything other than measuring, testing and determining the maximum amount (if any) of extra turning angle an outer CV on an R could be pushed to.

I think it would be a total waste to spend $200+ on a rack and half a day to install just to find out the R is already at its max and then just putting back most of the movement in spacers that restrict it back to almost stock. I was thinking more like spending $30 on an inner tie rod end and machining off 1 mm at a time, removing the shock and articulating the full suspension at full lock to see just how much it will take before it reaches 47 to 50 degrees and just how much before it starts to bind.

Better yet (now that I have thought about it) I will just add 1 mm washers on the inner tie rod end (there is enough threads to experiment) and get the same results without any machining or cost of a tie rod end.

This will give everyone a good idea on just how much you can increase the turning angle without spending any money. R&D at its cheapest :)

Then if it is found that you can in fact increase the turning angle the entire (or near the entire) amount that an X rack provides it will be well worth $200+ and an afternoon of fun swapping it over.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I think you misunderstood me here. I thought this thread was more of a talk about discovery, not actually permanently modifying a machine, until it is figured out. None of us know exactly how far the outer CV and the rest of the R suspension can be pushed and I read this thread as total experimentation.

I am totally with you on this and I would never put anything modified like that on any machine for anything other than measuring, testing and determining the maximum amount (if any) of extra turning angle an outer CV on an R could be pushed to.

I think it would be a total waste to spend $200+ on a rack and half a day to install just to find out the R is already at its max and then just putting back most of the movement in spacers that restrict it back to almost stock. I was thinking more like spending $30 on an inner tie rod end and machining off 1 mm at a time, removing the shock and articulating the full suspension at full lock to see just how much it will take before it reaches 47 to 50 degrees and just how much before it starts to bind.

Better yet (now that I have thought about it) I will just add 1 mm washers on the inner tie rod end (there is enough threads to experiment) and get the same results without any machining or cost of a tie rod end.

This will give everyone a good idea on just how much you can increase the turning angle without spending any money. R&D at its cheapest :)

Then if it is found that you can in fact increase the turning angle the entire (or near the entire) amount that an X rack provides it will be well worth $200+ and an afternoon of fun swapping it over.

No need to do all that. Just Jack the front up, unbolt tie rod and see how much farther you can turn the knuckle before the cv binds. Obviously you don't want to be right at cv bind.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
No need to do all that. Just Jack the front up, unbolt tie rod and see how much farther you can turn the knuckle before the cv binds. Obviously you don't want to be right at cv bind.
Well, kind of. That would work if everything was straight but we are dealing with some pretty acute (and multiple) angles here, especially when the suspension is full articulated and the CV angle is at its most critical. For instance, moving the tie rod 1 mm shorter will not be the same as moving the inner tie rod end into the rack by 1 mm...

Upload 2020 1 25 17 3 42

Now this could all be figured out by the angles but measuring the angles it tough on an R because the tie rod angles down AND forward at the same time and the angles change as the suspension changes so the measurements at level will not equal the measurements at full articulation.

Your method could get you close if calculated properly, maybe even close enough for this purpose.

View attachment 178555

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Well, kind of. That would work if everything was straight but we are dealing with some pretty acute (and multiple) angles here, especially when the suspension is full articulated and the CV angle is at its most critical. For instance, moving the tie rod 1 mm shorter will not be the same as moving the inner tie rod end into the rack by 1 mm...

View attachment 178557

Now this could all be figured out by the angles but measuring the angles it tough on an R because the tie rod angles down AND forward at the same time and the angles change as the suspension changes so the measurements at level will not equal the measurements at full articulation.

Your method could get you close if calculated properly, maybe even close enough for this purpose.

View attachment 178555

I was only talking about checking the angle of the cv. I would focus on that first, then move on to checking if the tie rod ends will handle the angle. I have a feeling the cv is the limitation.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I was only talking about checking the angle of the cv. I would focus on that first, then move on to checking if the tie rod ends will handle the angle. I have a feeling the cv is the limitation.
Sorry, I didn't read your post correctly so what I said didn't really address your post.

You are correct and the angle the CV will tolerate is easy to figure out and simple to establish. Measuring the angle of the CV at any given suspension level and turning angle is also fairly easy but I am not talking about either of those measurements. I figured that was a given and I am beyond that point.

What I am talking about is once the maximum CV angle is established, how much can we manipulate the inner tie rod travel to accomplish the maximum allowed CV angle, that is the time consuming part that will require some trial and error. We need to move the inner tie rod end inward a controlled/measured amount so that we can accurately measure the effects on the CV angle at any given suspension level and turning angle and make sure we don't exceed the maximum angle.

Once that amount is established, then someone can set about putting together the correct combination of parts to make it work without breaking anything,

If we had the engineer's drawings, we would have it figured out by now. Short of that, it is going to be move inner tie rod, measure, move inner tie rod, measure, etc until we figure it out. And due to the angles and changing arch of the knuckle, I do not think it is linear. For instance...

1mm inward movement might angle the CV an additional 1 degree but 4mm inward movement might angle the CV an additional 6 degrees. Gonna take some trial and error to get it right.

Or, we could just take a wild guess, hope for the best and maybe break s*** :)

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Sorry, I didn't read your post correctly so what I said didn't really address your post.

You are correct and the angle the CV will tolerate is easy to figure out and simple to establish. Measuring the angle of the CV at any given suspension level and turning angle is also fairly easy but I am not talking about either of those measurements. I figured that was a given and I am beyond that point.

What I am talking about is once the maximum CV angle is established, how much can we manipulate the inner tie rod travel to accomplish the maximum allowed CV angle, that is the time consuming part that will require some trial and error. We need to move the inner tie rod end inward a controlled/measured amount so that we can accurately measure the effects on the CV angle at any given suspension level and turning angle and make sure we don't exceed the maximum angle.

Once that amount is established, then someone can set about putting together the correct combination of parts to make it work without breaking anything,

If we had the engineer's drawings, we would have it figured out by now. Short of that, it is going to be move inner tie rod, measure, move inner tie rod, measure, etc until we figure it out. And due to the angles and changing arch of the knuckle, I do not think it is linear. For instance...

1mm inward movement might angle the CV an additional 1 degree but 4mm inward movement might angle the CV an additional 6 degrees. Gonna take some trial and error to get it right.

Or, we could just take a wild guess, hope for the best and maybe break s*** :)

I see what you are saying. I feel like you are overthinking it a little, but I also have broken a lot of parts :D

I don't think 1 or 4mm is going to make any noticeable changes.

What I'm saying is, jack the thing up and start adjusting those threads out and shortening the tie rod to maintain the correct toe. You don't need washers to just test in the garage. I wouldn't want to loose any thread engagement there anyway.

I think whoever said they ordered a rack for an x is going about it the right way. Yes there is potential to be out the cost of the rack, but at least he has the option to just put his R rack back in and call it failed experiment. It's really the only way to see if it will really work anyway.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did some extensive measuring this evening and here are my results (someone please double check my work). Keep in mind that most manufacturers say that a fixed CV like the outer one on the Talon is designed to run at a maximum of 47 to 50 degrees. The Talon's CV designed maximum angle in not known.

For these tests I carefully centered my steering and performed the "Turning Radius Inspection" as outlined on page 3-27 of the service manual to make sure the steering was centered before testing. I only tested the left side.

At normal ride height, full left lock, the CV angle is at 39 degrees.
At full extended suspension, full left lock, the CV is at 47 degrees.
At full extended suspension, full left lock PLUS 6 degrees that an X rack should provide, the CV is at 52.5 degrees.
The CV starts to show signs of bind at 54 degrees and is fully bound at 55 degrees.

At full extended suspension, full left lock PLUS 6 degrees, the boot is stressed, the CV clamp only has about 1mm of clearance and the stock wheel just hits the lower control arm at the rear. My aftermarket 15X7 45mm offset wheels also just touch the control arm and I believe that 15X7 50 mm offset wheels will probably bind. In any case, high angle boots with flat style boot clamps should be installed and either 30mm or less offset wheels (or spacers) will be required to gain a little clearance at the control arm. I did not test 14" wheels...

Upload 2020 1 26 1 16 55

This is not a very good pic but the wheel is just touching the lower control arm...

Upload 2020 1 26 1 17 31

For my needs, Honda already has the suspension as far as it should go. The occasional slow 48 to 53 degree CV angle might be OK for those that mostly trail ride and just need a little extra turning and rarely hit full suspension extension, but I mostly Dune and Crawl and when duneing, I go full lock full, full extended suspension at higher speeds MANY times during a day's ride so I will be keeping mine stock to maintain the max 47 degree CV angle.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
From what paulf posted, there isn't a lot of room for more steering at full droop. However, there is a lot to be had at ride height. If one was very aware of the limitations, they could probably limit the full lock steering to only tight maneuvers when the suspension is more or less at ride height.

Pushing a stock cv over 50* isn't going to last long.

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Time to revive this thread and report back with my findings:

I took my time before posting a response so that I could put some real trail miles on and test for issues. I've got 104.6 miles on the X rack with steering stops. Those 104.6 miles were down in Tennessee at the Royal Blue trail system across all trail difficulties with Dragon's Back and Widow Maker being the most difficult terrain. If you aren't familiar with this terrain......I tested the $h!t out of this setup.

I'm happy to report that my mods are working great and the turning radius has noticeably improved. I was not able to use the full rack travel that the X model has, but I was able to reclaim 3/16" of travel on each side of the rack.

3/16" + 3/16" = 3/8" more total usable steering rack travel. It may not sound like a huge improvement, but it was noticeable in switchback mountain trails and I"m satisfied with the return on my investment.

So, without further ado, here's what I did:

Important Note
  • I cannot confirm whether or not this modification will work with stock Talon 1000R lower a-arms. I have L&W Fab high-clearance lower a-arms and they appear to give more clearance for the wheel & tire when the wheel is at full turn/lock. OEM lower a-arms will likely rub the wheel/tire, but I cannot say for sure. Try at your own discretion.
Parts:
  • 53840-HL6-A01 - BOX, STEERING GEAR (Talon X steering gearbox)
  • SSK-002 - Steering Stop Kit from SuperATV. I had to call and order this kit. It was not available directly from their website to order. They have a Polaris kit listed that you can order that will not work for this application. The SSK-002 kit is included with the Talon 1000X forward a-arm kit [AA-H-TALX-1.5-HC-02].
Install & Overview Video:

Photo Comparison of 1000R vs 1000X Steering Gear Boxes:

X gearbox = shiny new part
R gearbox = dirty part

IMG 2708
IMG 2711
IMG 2712

B

Bigblue1

Feb 3, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Time to revive this thread and report back with my findings:

I took my time before posting a response so that I could put some real trail miles on and test for issues. I've got 104.6 miles on the X rack with steering stops. Those 104.6 miles were down in Tennessee at the Royal Blue trail system across all trail difficulties with Dragon's Back and Widow Maker being the most difficult terrain. If you aren't familiar with this terrain......I tested the $h!t out of this setup.

I'm happy to report that my mods are working great and the turning radius has noticeably improved. I was not able to use the full rack travel that the X model has, but I was able to reclaim 3/16" of travel on each side of the rack.

3/16" + 3/16" = 3/8" more total usable steering rack travel. It may not sound like a huge improvement, but it was noticeable in switchback mountain trails and I"m satisfied with the return on my investment.

So, without further ado, here's what I did:

Important Note
  • I cannot confirm whether or not this modification will work with stock Talon 1000R lower a-arms. I have L&W Fab high-clearance lower a-arms and they appear to give more clearance for the wheel & tire when the wheel is at full turn/lock. OEM lower a-arms will likely rub the wheel/tire, but I cannot say for sure. Try at your own discretion.
Parts:
  • 53840-HL6-A01 - BOX, STEERING GEAR (Talon X steering gearbox)
  • SSK-002 - Steering Stop Kit from SuperATV. I had to call and order this kit. It was not available directly from their website to order. They have a Polaris kit listed that you can order that will not work for this application. The SSK-002 kit is included with the Talon 1000X forward a-arm kit [AA-H-TALX-1.5-HC-02].
Install & Overview Video:

Photo Comparison of 1000R vs 1000X Steering Gear Boxes:

X gearbox = shiny new part
R gearbox = dirty part

View attachment 188860
View attachment 188861
View attachment 188862
Jason, it's good to hear that you had some success with your experiment! Did you by chance do a before and after measurement of your turning radius?

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Jason, it's good to hear that you had some success with your experiment! Did you by chance do a before and after measurement of your turning radius?

That is something I didn’t do. I didn’t have a great way to take quantitative measurements so I can’t provide that kind of data.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!