Talon Recalls?

H

HondaTech

Some tips (?). Note that I’ve never done any of this.

1. I think @HondaTech drops the skid and removes them out the bottom, no interior dismantling needed.

2. I’m pretty sure this is right - Someone else suggested removing the 3 bolts holding the clutch assembly (?) to the front diff is easier than screwing with that infernal C clip with the shaft in the buggy. This info is somewhere in the link in my sig.

3. Diff doesn’t have to be removed, just pulled forward, a ratchet strap will help. This might also be in my sig link.

4. If I ever unknowingly post misinformation, feel free to yank a knot in my tail. 😊

We go the clips down pat now. I can get a driveshaft out in under 45 minutes just about.

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
Is your friends machine still under factory warranty? Or was the offer to pay for the shaft a goodwill thing by Honda?
1 year warranty ran out 2 mos ago. It was a great gesture by Honda. It's just unusual as they seem to admit it's a known failure by providing the main part but not making a change to the design for 2022 machines. Then, Ride Now is wanting $1600 for labor when the Videos I've seen shows it being a 4 hour job.

Reactions: TripleB
BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
Oh, and I’m pretty sure I have a recall sitting on my desk about caliper bolts coming loose? 🤔
I haven't seen that one. I've had my X2 since Feb. So far, no notices from Honda about any recalls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I haven't seen that one. I've had my X2 since May. So far, no notices from Honda about any recalls.
Just got home, the notices are for the airhorn screws on my 2 Talons (I don't have 2, one got stolen, recovered, heavily damaged and replaced, I got both notices). If there's one on the caliper bolts someone else will have to confirm it - I have no idea where my notice for that is, if there is one. I'm pretty sure I didn't dream it up though.

I was almost right, Richard aka Hondasxs is making a master recall list for all Honda SxSs. Not caliper bolts though, the bolts fastening the disks to the hub.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobFarrell
BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
You have never dealt with an Engineering department of a big company have you?
It isn't a simple "tack weld" on the cup.
It could require testing for harmonic vibrations due to possibly being out of balance.
What happens to the base material and it's longevity when the heat from a weld is applied to it.
At the bare minimum, they should be doing a supplier audit to identify whether it is a design or manufacturing issue.

My previous employer needed 15-25 signatures on an ECRN/ECO (Engineering Change Release Notice/Engineering Change Order) before we could revise a drawing. And we were a simple pipe fitting manufacturer.

I can only imagine the amount of time Honda would have to dedicate to this to revise the assembly.

There is a pretty good chance these warranty claims have to hit a specific number($$) before Engineering gets involved. And only after a higher up in a different department submits the paperwork to them to investigate.
What you're saying makes sense but I'm still going to tack-weld the caps down on mine.

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
We go the clips down pat now. I can get a driveshaft out in under 45 minutes just about.
Please elaborate.... waiting for new prop shaft to arrive. Then will start disassembly.

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
Its a known problem. The bearing caps are loose on some so they will turn and spit out the C-clip allowing the bearing cap to fall out. I marked the bearing caps on my 2020 Talon and still ok at 6,000 miles. My 2019 Talon had the drive shaft U-joint wear out at around 20,000 miles. Both warranty drive shafts failed in less then 3,000 miles. I got the 4th drive shaft bearing caps spot welded. I do carry a sawzall with a 9 inch blade so I can cut the drive shaft in half and pull the drive shaft off the sub trans. It would suck to half to drive it a long way with the banging. There is room to cut the drive shaft through the skid plate hole for the coolant drain bolts.

View attachment 341083View attachment 341084View attachment 341085View attachment 341086
QUESTION: Based on your experience in removing and reinstalling the Talon drivel-lines, I am thinking you know what I am looking for. There is a clip that holds the drive-line in place that needs a "special" tool. It works like a snap-ring pliers so when you squeeze, it opens the jaws. THe tips need to be flat and almost like an inside-out pair of needle-nose pliers. What is the name of this tool and where can I find one (reasonably priced)??? Thanks!!!

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
It'll DM you the process and tools.
Sorry but I have yet to see or find the DM you refer to above. All I really need at this point is the tool to remove & replace the clip that holds the line in place. I know it's like a snap-ring pliers where they open when you squeeze but the tips need to be flat and more similar to a reversed pair of needle nose pliers.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
QUESTION: Based on your experience in removing and reinstalling the Talon drivel-lines, I am thinking you know what I am looking for. There is a clip that holds the drive-line in place that needs a "special" tool. It works like a snap-ring pliers so when you squeeze, it opens the jaws. THe tips need to be flat and almost like an inside-out pair of needle-nose pliers. What is the name of this tool and where can I find one (reasonably priced)??? Thanks!!!
Check these out.

Not sure if that "size" will work, but has some keywords you can look on Amazon for.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
PaulF said - (info in the New Talon Owners thread linked in my sig)
"Not sure why anyone would go to that extreme and chance breaking the aluminum hub on the front drive clutch when the front drive clip is extremely easy to release with the right tool. Took me all of 5 seconds to release it. All you need is a pair of parallel retaining ring pliers like these..."

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
Oh, and I’m pretty sure I have a recall sitting on my desk about caliper bolts coming loose? 🤔
Did you find anything on a caliper? I know there was a recall for some bolts inside the air-box but hadn't heard about anything relating to a caliper.

Reactions: Smitty335
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
A nice step by step procedure would be nice as a sticky on here or somewhere for us guys that will half to eventually deal with the drive shaft issue. I'm know it would take some time to lay it all out but it would sure be appreciated by a bunch of DIY talon owners.

H

HondaTech

Sorry but I have yet to see or find the DM you refer to above. All I really need at this point is the tool to remove & replace the clip that holds the line in place. I know it's like a snap-ring pliers where they open when you squeeze but the tips need to be flat and more similar to a reversed pair of needle nose pliers.

Yeah my apologies, ive been busy as all get out at work and with other engagements.

I'll write up out procedure here soon and get it posted here.

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks so much,,, I'm going to eventually get the retaining pliers needed ,, I like the ones shown that have the pocket for the retaining clip to catch in. I tack welded mine and so far so good with 4600 on the clock but I keep a watchful eye on them all the time.

Reactions: BobFarrell
H

HondaTech

PaulF said - (info in the New Talon Owners thread linked in my sig)
"Not sure why anyone would go to that extreme and chance breaking the aluminum hub on the front drive clutch when the front drive clip is extremely easy to release with the right tool. Took me all of 5 seconds to release it. All you need is a pair of parallel retaining ring pliers like these..."
View attachment 344701
These are what we use

Reactions: CID
BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
Ok!!! Got the retaining clip pliers and was able to get the propeller shaft installed!! As I'm going thru reassembly, I found something. Today's question for the experts: Did this come off the Talon and if so, where??? It could easily be for something else or the dog found a new toy. I just don't remember seeing it and am stumped. Thanks!!

20220722 214557 20220722 214551 20220722 214546

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!