Talon Recalls?

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
That is a cushion from underneath the gas tank, they are not glued on very well.
I knew someone would know!!! Any recommendations on how to ensure it doesn't fall out again????THANK YOU!!!

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had my gas tank out for a Trail Tank 10 1/2 gal replacement, that's how I found them and saw they were poorly attached to the frame with a thin layer of poorly suited stuff. I cleaned the pads & metal and used some 3M spray stickum I had floating around to hold them in place while I put the new tank in. I don't think you can get that back in with the tank installed.

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
I had my gas tank out for a Trail Tank 10 1/2 gal replacement, that's how I found them and saw they were poorly attached to the frame with a thin layer of poorly suited stuff. I cleaned the pads & metal and used some 3M spray stickum I had floating around to hold them in place while I put the new tank in. I don't think you can get that back in with the tank installed.
How many more miles do you get out of the larger tank? I've thought about installing one.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
How many more miles do you get out of the larger tank? I've thought about installing one.
That depends entirely on your MPG on that day in your terrain. I get 20 ish cruising in the desert (High range) and got 9.8 on my last ride crawling in the rocks using 4wd and Low range all day. Crawling in the rocks is from 9 - 11,500 feet, so the fuel injection should have me running leaner (better mileage than crawling at sea levels). Stock tank is 7.3 so you get 3 extra gallons. 3 x 9.8 mpg is 29.4 extra miles. 3 x 20 mpg is 60 extra miles.

I was able to make a 145 loop on the stock tank on a desert ride with mixed terrain (mostly easy cruising) but I have the plastic fill tube removed from the tank giving me 8.7 gallons. I have no idea how much fuel I had left but I carry a 3 gallon RotoPax for my safety valve.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobFarrell
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't worry about carrying extra gas unless I think I will get near 200 miles on a given day's trip, I can push it safely to 220 miles and I believe I finally ran out at about 240 miles the one time I tested range. That's for highish speed driving in high range, on trails between 5k & 11k ft.

The tank install isn't too bad other than the lock ring holding the pump in place. If you like to ride long days then I definitely recommend the upgrade.

Unless policies have changed, order it from Weller for $10 shipping instead of from TrailTank direct for $50 to $150 shipping. Even if Weller doesn't have one on the shelf, they will have it drop shipped. I got mine before the charge hit the credit card.

Last edited:
MikeZee

MikeZee

Jun 27, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hello all, I'm new to the SxS world and forum posting as well. So, sorry of this is in the wrong place/thread. Just wanted to give anyone who cares a heads up on a new recall. I just scheduled my first service on my 21X4 FLV and they said there is a new recall. The bolt in the intake area can come loose and get thrown into your engine. That's about all the info I have on it.

Reactions: Smitty335
H

HondaTech

Hello all, I'm new to the SxS world and forum posting as well. So, sorry of this is in the wrong place/thread. Just wanted to give anyone who cares a heads up on a new recall. I just scheduled my first service on my 21X4 FLV and they said there is a new recall. The bolt in the intake area can come loose and get thrown into your engine. That's about all the info I have on it.

That recall has been out for awhile.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hi, Mike, welcome to the site.

Utah is my favorite place in the Universe. :cool:

I Fz37NDd XL

MikeZee

MikeZee

Jun 27, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thanks guys. I guess I should have done my research a little better. That recall had been out for a while. Apologies. It seems the recalls come out faster than they're machines. I love this machine either way and I love riding it Utah even more!

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Is the bearing caps falling out still a problem in 02-2024 for the Talons. This has been ongoing for years and I was postponing buying a Talon X2 hoping that this problem would be fixed. According to my Honda dealer is has been fixed in the 2023. Is this not true?
Thanks in advance.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!