highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
My line of Talon under seat cargo boxes was very exciting to create. I spent many hours in my shop cutting foam core poster boards into shapes to mock up the boxes which are made from 5052 aluminum. Aluminum is my choice of fabrication metal for UTV applications because it's light weight and easily survives the mud and water environment.

The X2-d, driver seat box was the first to be completed and fabricated. There's not much room under that seat but I maximized the usable volume while leaving just enough clearance for the seat base to snap into place. The original design included using a 4" boat type hatch due to space restrictions of accessing the opening through the seat base frame. That size proved to be rather limiting on what could be placed inside the box so I moved up to the 6" hatch that is still used. That works out great for usable access for larger items and is a shelf item that doesn't require custom manufacturing. These hatches are imported from China because I could find no one in the US that handled this style of lever lock hatch. Even though imported, I can get these in one weeks time Fedex!!

All 3 box designs were originally made from flat cut panels that required welding of all corners. This required a lot of welding so the design was revised for bending some of the corners to make the boxes from the least amount of components. I'm very proud of these designs. They were challenging not only to fit the available spaces and provide a practical opening size, but also to manufacture in an economical way.

Talon X2 d Box

IMG 7933

Talon X2 d  REV D 100 FOR BENDS Model

Once I got my hands on a 4 seat Talon I began designing the X4-d, driver seat box and the X4-p, passenger seat box. The X4-d box is a deeper version of the X2-d box, since there are no electronic components under this seat. This doubled the box size. This box was the driving force behind bending as many corners as possible.

Talon X4 d Box

Talon X4 d  REV D 100 FOR BENDS Model

Then I have the big daddy X4-p box. I was very surprised that Honda left this huge space empty an inaccessible from any side. This box took several mock ups to create the max size that could be installed in the space considering the framing components under the plastic. It's a tight fit but gives the most storage for the buck. Because Honda left no access to this space, the plastic under the seat requires cutting as you can see in the last photo here. I provide instructions for cutting the plastic as needed.

Talon X4 p Box

Talon X4 p  REV D 100 FOR BENDS Model

X4 p installed  2

Sheetmetal X4 p installed

These boxes aren't cheap to produce. The retail price reflects that. I want people realize that I enjoy tackling design challenges like these cargo boxes even when the end results are not easily attained. Some may think that these don't provide much storage for the cost but I consider these solutions for storage that was never available. I'm not here to only make a buck. My goal is to create great products that I am proud of and have no hesitation of using myself. A lot of thought went into the designs as well as much research into the hatches to make these boxes accessible without having to unbolt the seat frames.

Considerations were made for a driver side bag. I contacted a California bag company with a preliminary design and they were not going to be much cheaper. And I'm not a bag fan for the environment these are in. They get filthy and to clean them you have to remove the contents and the bag from its location. To much hassle. My aluminum boxes stay in place and wash down like everything else on the machine.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Talon underseat cargo boxes will be on sale this week, 11-28-22 thru 12-4-22. I've also opened these up to pre-orders. If these sell out during the week, I'll honor the sale price on pre-orders made during this sale.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!