Test Drove the Pioneer

S

_stranger

Sep 29, 2013
Newfoundland Labrador
Visited local dealer to take the Pioneer for a little spin around the lot. Gee, not bad at all. Feels solid and of quality make. Decent power, pickup. Ample for the woods. Shifted awesome, pretty sweet.

I was alittle throw off by the sitting, just a smiggin of extra cab space would be nice. However the driving position was correct, upright and didn't distract when I got her rolling. Gee guys ..what to do ? I'm impressed with the features as described here such as engine breaking. I love her stance, tuff looking, great style.

I'm 6'2, 240 (plan on losing) and well, she wasn't THAT bad to sit in. Didn't notice any calf cramp or irregular pedal angle. She shifted from R to D very well. Lots of fun.

Basically it's coming down to the Pioneer or the XP900, which is significantly more deniro but does give you more for the extra.

I'll have to revisit the Honda dealer to check, double check, triple check (you get the idea)

May I ask please from you guys ..your thoughts. And given your experiences ..what is, are the advantages of the Pioneer (beside price)

I want a quality machine, tuff, reliable, trusted. Maybe keep an extra 3k + in my pocket. I really want a sxs (my first) to be worry free. No hassles. I'm concerned due to my lack of understanding really ..the differences between a CVT driven transmission ..and Hondas Automatic.

The Pioneer easy to work on (oil changes), easy to clean ? Lower maintainance ? The 1 year warranty is nice.

My buddy has an 800XP, nice .. but isn't growing on me. She rattles, squeaks ...noisy tranny. No engine breaking. It's a beast no doubt, but I wouldn't buy her. Maybe the XP900 ? Tuff to know what to be at.

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
Polaris machines have evolved to be pretty good. But talk to anyone who's run Hondas and then Polaris and most will tell you that the Polaris is not built with the same quality as the Honda's. But if you're looking for the performance of an XP900 then you won't get it from Honda...yet!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
_stranger said:
Visited local dealer to take the Pioneer for a little spin around the lot. Gee, not bad at all. Feels solid and of quality make. Decent power, pickup. Ample for the woods. Shifted awesome, pretty sweet.

I was alittle throw off by the sitting, just a smiggin of extra cab space would be nice. However the driving position was correct, upright and didn't distract when I got her rolling. Gee guys ..what to do ? I'm impressed with the features as described here such as engine breaking. I love her stance, tuff looking, great style.

I'm 6'2, 240 (plan on losing) and well, she wasn't THAT bad to sit in. Didn't notice any calf cramp or irregular pedal angle. She shifted from R to D very well. Lots of fun.

Basically it's coming down to the Pioneer or the XP900, which is significantly more deniro but does give you more for the extra.

I'll have to revisit the Honda dealer to check, double check, triple check (you get the idea)

May I ask please from you guys ..your thoughts. And given your experiences ..what is, are the advantages of the Pioneer (beside price)

I want a quality machine, tuff, reliable, trusted. Maybe keep an extra 3k + in my pocket. I really want a sxs (my first) to be worry free. No hassles. I'm concerned due to my lack of understanding really ..the differences between a CVT driven transmission ..and Hondas Automatic.

The Pioneer easy to work on (oil changes), easy to clean ? Lower maintainance ? The 1 year warranty is nice.

My buddy has an 800XP, nice .. but isn't growing on me. She rattles, squeaks ...noisy tranny. No engine breaking. It's a beast no doubt, but I wouldn't buy her. Maybe the XP900 ? Tuff to know what to be at.
All are you talking about a RZR, or a Ranger? It's had to answer your questions until we know which of them you are talking about.

The RZR is obviously much sportier. Google RZR ball-joints and wheel bearings. See those pages of complaints? Almost automatic replacement parts on RZRs. Usually at 500-1000 miles. In their defense, they do get beat on.

Rangers come from the same place, but usually lead an easier life. But they still use many of the same parts.

Both of them use a CVT transmission. This is how it works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEvBGT8twM

It works fine until it gets wet or abused. On Polaris models, the sheave pinching the belt acts as a "clutch", so certain type of abuse or uneducated riding can smoke one pretty quick. It is normal for belt CVT riders to carry a spare in case there are problems out on the trail. With proper use, they can be pretty durable.

The Pioneer uses the same drive train as the older Big Red 700, and the Rincon ATV. It is a 3 speed auto much like an automotive transmission, except rather than using ATF, it uses the engine oil. Engine oil is thicker than ATF, so the Pioneer does require a small amount of warm up in cold temps, and is sensitive to what weight oil is used. Stick with the recommended, and you'll be fine. It also has only 3 speeds, so first is higher then what most of us are used to. This leads some to feel ( incorrectly ) that the machine is too high geared. Google "torque converter torque multiplication", and you can read as to why the Pioneer can pull just fine with a higher first.
This lack of a belt in the drive train has sold untold numbers of Rincon's, BR's, and now Pioneers. Some people are just never comfortable with a "rubber band" machine.

I felt the cab plenty roomy, and i am about your size. Maybe a little too upright, but i think this was necessary to get 4 seats in a 2-seat wheel base. Other than that, it is a Honda, and will probably outlast 2 Polaris.

So what it comes down to is this: You buy the Pioneer. Your Polaris/Can-am buddies have more power, and constantly make fun of you on rides...right up until the point where their fast, powerful machine smokes a belt or breaks a tie rod end. Then they humbly snort Honda exhaust all the way back to the truck while you tow them. This repeats again and again.

It aint fast or flashy, but i can say with complete confidence that it is the most durable of any SxS.

Reactions: jinx
S

_stranger

Sep 29, 2013
Newfoundland Labrador
Cool. Thanks for the response. I get a good sense from what your sayin and how you say it (word it) that I can trust your experienced input.

I'll write a going concern of +/- for each machine, the Pioneer 2 seater and the Ranger XP900. What has come to mind this afternoon is my eventual purchase of a trailer. Given price for Pioneer, I can afford a trailer when the moment comes. I'm happy to be learning the process in my neck of the woods for now.

Than there's the "happiness factor". The happiness, satisfaction knowing I am riding a dependable machine. No second guessing water crossings and worrying if I've soaked a belt. Don't have to be checking the CVT all the time for dust, water, and condition. I just wanna ride wherever, at any given moment, for any length of time, in any condition ..and not concern myself with any known venerability.

Further to the "happiness factor" is ..do I need to spend 3k - plus more to get 3k -plus more enjoyment ? To go 10 mph faster, have alittle more slam ? Hmm .. If that's the case where does the return level off ? Do I have to spend 5k - plus for increased levels of enjoyment and satisfaction ? Not ideal measure of comparing.

Yah, maybe the XP, BRP does have heightened experience. But I'm sure I could whip that little pioneer around most terrain and she'll handle it very well and keep coming back for more.

Yes, this is a concern when reading Polaris forums. I understand and take forums with a grain of salt ..but makes ya wonder when one notices a lot of threads started by topics of issues, problems. Trying to keep the positives ahead of the negatives sometimes doesn't add up.

Everywhere ya turn around here people are driven a Polaris. Gettin pretty bored with that as well. Local dealer factor I suspect ..and other. Until now, Polaris was pretty much the only choice. Seems theres more choice now in the market.

Beautiful fall day here today. Perfect for sxs'ing ..

Sigh*

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
_stranger said:
Than there's the "happiness factor". The happiness, satisfaction knowing I am riding a dependable machine. No second guessing water crossings and worrying if I've soaked a belt. Don't have to be checking the CVT all the time for dust, water, and condition. I just wanna ride wherever, at any given moment, for any length of time, in any condition ..and not concern myself with any known venerability.
Sounds like a Pioneer to me.

Polaris deserves credit for taking the market where it is, but they simply don't match Japan in quality and durability. Some people feel that speed and huge suspension travel are worth this payoff.

Personally, i don't know if price has anything to do with happiness. The MOST off-road fun i ever had was my first quad, a Suzuki 250 Quadrunner, circa 1989. Wasn't fast, powerful, or long travel, but it did open up new worlds and make every day an adventure. The act of short shifting the machine and just letting the engine run at lower-mid RPM cruising through the woods just became addictive to me. The is another reason I've never cared much for CVT's...that constant RPM whether you need it or not. It upsets the experience for me.

Heightening the experience without getting in the way of it is something Honda has always been very good at.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you want fast spend 20k get a RZR 1000 and don't buy the Honda, if you want something that is going to be fun, durable and you will spend almost no time working on(other than to add accessories or change the oil every once in a while, buy the Honda) I'm 6"2" 200 and it is fine for me. I have been clearing land to put our house on in a few months and I am pulling 35' pine trees to an area where I can buck and cut, then burn. I've cleared almost 2acres by hand this way, I am carrying a 55gallon sprayer in the bed full of water, myself and sometimes a buddy that is about my size, IMO, I think it has plenty of power, I have dug numerous holes in multiples of 4 when a tree gets hung on a stump. That's with 700-900lbs in addition to the Pioneer itself on the tires.

On to CVTs, I bought the Honda because when I told the dealer what I was going to be using it for he offered me an early oil change in the price of the pioneer or 5 extra belts and a service manual for the Polaris. That said once these trees are down, it's going to be 95% fun with the occasional pull-behind trail mower or small greenfield plant with a Kolpin dirtworx. I don't ride 50mph through the trees, I know that sooner or later I'm gonna crash and I am old enough and have too many responsibilities to deal with that now. I could probably do 45 (top out @there) on the Honda, it handles well and you can power slide the heck out of it, up to @45. I think I could better the ride by removing the sway bar but carrying a load without it would be dangerous and it's pretty good as is, I have ridden it for several hours straight during the break in period and was not beaten up by the ride quality. I carried my wife, her mother and father around in it the other day to show them our land, it was her mothers 60th birthday and she had a smile on her face in the back seat. I don't think the ride is that bad based on that either.

Without mods I think the Rangers all top out about 40-50mph depending on model, from what I hear the Pioneer is about 45. I'm not going to be racing it, I don't have to have the fastest SxS around but I do want to to do what it's going to do all day long everyday and never complain. So far it has done that, every Honda I have ever owned has done that, change the oil, tires, and add gas and just keep going. I have had other brands and I have had to work on them, some more than others.

You are going to get varying opinions about capabilities, because everyone's capabilities are measured from a different perspective, their own.
In the end you will have to make a choice based on your needs and what you are going to want to use it for the majority of the time.
Best of luck and hope this has helped.

EDIT: forgot 4 person in length of 2, great getting between tight trees, could not have gotten some of the places I've been with my pioneer-4 with a Ranger crew.

Reactions: jinx
M

Mandride

Sep 17, 2013
I did the same brain scratching as well. You hear that Polaris is the bomb as well as CanAm.

I first defined my goal of what I want it for. Mine was the ability to use it to work on my land and be agile in the woods. I use mine in the Virginia Mountains, meaning tight trails, lots of steep hills, many creeks. I then decide I wanted it to provide access to my land for my friends and my wife's friends. Meaning a ladies ride as well as a fun ride.. The real question down to what is the real needs.

Is it high speed? Can be fun but how often is that necessary? I have had my Pioneer 4 over 40 with more throttle still breaking it in. I am thinking fast enough.

So putting all that together I researched every manufacture, and watched you-tube videos for comparisons then went and looked myself.

I found the Pioneer the best of two worlds: Model of a two seater with a utility bed for work on the farm and the ability to carry 4 with out the extended wheel base that makes it hard to maneuver on trails. you are also 2 feet shorter with the Pioneer than other utility based sxs.

I have owned many toys in my life and Honda has been the one that out last all of them. I currently have three 4x4 in my shed and now the Pioneer. That is two Fourtrax and one Rincon. After owning the Rincon and understanding the value of the transmission in it was one of the selling points for me.

Even after adding accessories to mine it is still cheaper than the others, The winch is 4,000 lbs and lifetime warranty. Hard top, Lights, makes for a really nice ride. Everyone that has ridden in it was very comfy and I weigh over 300lbs with three other adults and went up very steep hills with no problem.

Hope this helps as well

G

GulfCoast

Oct 8, 2013
Why did I buy a Pioneer versus another Polaris? Because Honda's do something my 2 Polaris bikes never, ever did: Crank. Every time.

J

Jaykup20

Oct 8, 2013
Mandride said:
I did the same brain scratching as well. You hear that Polaris is the bomb as well as CanAm.

I first defined my goal of what I want it for. Mine was the ability to use it to work on my land and be agile in the woods. I use mine in the Virginia Mountains, meaning tight trails, lots of steep hills, many creeks. I then decide I wanted it to provide access to my land for my friends and my wife's friends. Meaning a ladies ride as well as a fun ride.. The real question down to what is the real needs.

Is it high speed? Can be fun but how often is that necessary? I have had my Pioneer 4 over 40 with more throttle still breaking it in. I am thinking fast enough.

So putting all that together I researched every manufacture, and watched you-tube videos for comparisons then went and looked myself.

I found the Pioneer the best of two worlds: Model of a two seater with a utility bed for work on the farm and the ability to carry 4 with out the extended wheel base that makes it hard to maneuver on trails. you are also 2 feet shorter with the Pioneer than other utility based sxs.

I have owned many toys in my life and Honda has been the one that out last all of them. I currently have three 4x4 in my shed and now the Pioneer. That is two Fourtrax and one Rincon. After owning the Rincon and understanding the value of the transmission in it was one of the selling points for me.

Even after adding accessories to mine it is still cheaper than the others, The winch is 4,000 lbs and lifetime warranty. Hard top, Lights, makes for a really nice ride. Everyone that has ridden in it was very comfy and I weigh over 300lbs with three other adults and went up very steep hills with no problem.

Hope this helps as well

Manride. I'm about 320lb and 6'4 do you think I'll be OK in the drivers seat? I have been wondering.

S

_stranger

Sep 29, 2013
Newfoundland Labrador
I'll be using it almost entirely for recreation trial riding. This means casual trial but as well as aggressive style riding (sharp turning, hard braking, chewing up rough sections). I'll traverse streams, brooks and creeks but you won't see me mudding, in the bogs or marsh. Trouting, tenting will require crawling over irregular dense brush to get pond side (I guess this is what is meant by off camber conditions.

This area, although not overwhelming so, can get pretty rocky. Will need caution as the 10.5 inch clearance will be tested. Time in the drivers seat will teach me the machines limitations. Mehh, 10.5, 11.0 ..up to 12.0 I don't think a half inch - inch either way isn't going to be a big deal.

Thinking ahead, the price of the Pioneer isn't locking me in to a long term financial commitment either. Yamaha, Honda are planning to roll out new machines again next year and will continue this trend as I understand it. Be alright to have some cushion if I wanted to sell, or trade for what's behind door # 2. Won't get as fleeced I'm guessin vs. if I'm carrying a 15-16 k machine I'm not really thrilled about. Or, keep the Pioneer and its lower payment and upgrade to Hondas unveiling of its next UTV - probably going to be something very special indeed.

At my buddies this weekend. Just beer talk. Kinda stuck with me though. Not knocking my pal, I'd give him the coat off my back. Funny though .. In conversation - he wouldn't travel greater distances (or alone) on his Polaris fearing CVT belt breakdown. Stuck in the middle of no where. THAT is something I don't want - second guessing your equipment when all ya need to do is seat back, ease your mind, explore ...and take it all in.

I'm not looking to accessorize it to death either. Just a soft top, GPS, camera/video, communication gadget. Probably 6-8 ply tires. That's about it. I'll suit up properly, meaning helmet, goggles, weather resistance jacket with hood (gortex or something) ... Gloves and other protective riding gear.

Pop question : Can ya get a fitted trunk for the rear cargo box yet ?

advertisement
S

_stranger

Sep 29, 2013
Newfoundland Labrador
Cool site ..

Looks promising. Universal UTV, ..even Kolpin branded for specific model may fit the back. I'd say the bed dimensions are pretty similar. Could make it work. I'd say Pioneer accessory are just on the horizon now.

Perfect for carrying provisions. Can always use more storage.

Soon ....

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!