The Dreaded Click in the right rear

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
so i have been experimenting on what is causing the click. so i removed the axles and filled the tube with grease. the click was gone with no new parts. it lasted sill it pushed most of the grease around the splines. it took a few weeks till it started clicking. so the click must be the spline end of the axle in the diff. as it rolls with resistance it is jarring around. no how to pertinently fix this somehow.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
My right rear has started clicking pretty loudly recently when cold, off the trailer (even if it's 80* out). But it goes away within a mile. Since I'm usually solo, I'm wondering what happens when Murphy shows up? Does the CV lock up and I'm done right there or will I be able to limp back to the trailer? fwiw: I hit 8000 miles today.
x.gif

PaulF took one of his axles/CV joints apart and found pretty bad wear damage, including black steel, implying heat was involved. My apologies if I remember that wrong. That was before I knew how to bookmark threads, so I have no idea where that was.

Seeing Paul's damage, axle replacement is the only option unless you know how to replace a CV joint and are up to the task. New to SxSs, I have no idea what's involved and I don't 'think' Honda sells the CV joint separately.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
@Hometeam I wish I had video of your axle! Lol! This thing sounds like someone shaking a jar of marbles while someone scratches their fingernails on a chalkboard. Still holds up and takes a beating.

@CID with all the remote riding you do, I’d pick up a spare rear axle and rig up a way to bring it along with you. If you did break one, you could ride out on it but depending on how it breaks it could seize up. When I grenaded my driver rear, it was fine until I got on hard pack and damn near violent on asphalt. The broken cage pieces would seize up and bind that rear wheel.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks, Adam, that's exactly what I was wondering - I might get out and I might not. :oops: I really need to learn how to do that, in person, not watching a u-toob video. 👍

Reactions: Adam490
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
@Hometeam I wish I had video of your axle! Lol! This thing sounds like someone shaking a jar of marbles while someone scratches their fingernails on a chalkboard. Still holds up and takes a beating.

@CID with all the remote riding you do, I’d pick up a spare rear axle and rig up a way to bring it along with you. If you did break one, you could ride out on it but depending on how it breaks it could seize up. When I grenaded my driver rear, it was fine until I got on hard pack and damn near violent on asphalt. The broken cage pieces would seize up and bind that rear wheel.
Uhhh yeah its a little noisy to say!! 😀 I will try and get a video of it and post it. Mine appears to be the driver side. I was gonna go till breaks but I'm not sure I can stand it much longer (like nails on a chalk board)!! It is a rhino 2.0. And I have put it through the paces waiting for it to break!!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Uhhh yeah its a little noisy to say!! 😀 I will try and get a video of it and post it. Mine appears to be the driver side. I was gonna go till breaks but I'm not sure I can stand it much longer (like nails on a chalk board)!! It is a rhino 2.0. And I have put it through the paces waiting for it to break!!
Is this in your Talon? I was under the impression that the stock axles and CV joints are at least as good as any aftermarket, including the Rhino 2.0. Availability issues or just cuz? Did you put it in or did you buy used and it was already there? How many miles on it now? Just curious, 🤔 trying to learn ever thang I can before I'm walking a long way back to the trailer. :eek:

Smittyp

Smittyp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 3, 2020
Morgan co. Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
2021R LV
I had around 2000 miles on the stock axles. When the right rear got bad enough for me to replace it. So I just replaced both axles with the rhino 2.0 I got around 700 miles out of them before the right rear started sounding bad. At around a 1000 miles the right rear broke. I then rebuilt the one stock axle that was bad and put both stock axles back in. The rebuild axle has a 1000 miles on it now and doing good

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Both of my Talons make the loud clicking noise until I go straight for a few miles to warm up the grease then no noise. I have over 6,000 miles on my 2020 Talon and 33,000 on my 2019 Talon.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Is this in your Talon? I was under the impression that the stock axles and CV joints are at least as good as any aftermarket, including the Rhino 2.0. Availability issues or just cuz? Did you put it in or did you buy used and it was already there? How many miles on it now? Just curious, 🤔 trying to learn ever thang I can before I'm walking a long way back to the trailer. :eek:
Sorry yes in my Talon 2021 RLV with 2200 miles on it. At around 1500 miles my boot got cut so I ordered 2-rhino 2.0 to put in place of my 2 stock rears (both having zero issues but the 1 boot), with the plan to fix the one and keep them as spares. In less than 500 miles one or both of my rhinos started popping. One is really really bad but won't totally break yet. I plan to fix the stock boot and throw my stocks back in asap. I am going to try a few things when I have time to mess with it....but mine felt like it is the driver's side outer....I don't think it will just up and break on you without an impact that would break an axel anyway. I have put the rhinos through some tough stuff and it hasn't broke completely. We broke both rhinos 2.0 on the rear of the yxz last time we were out though!(

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Sorry yes in my Talon 2021 RLV with 2200 miles on it. At around 1500 miles my boot got cut so I ordered 2-rhino 2.0 to put in place of my 2 stock rears (both having zero issues but the 1 boot), with the plan to fix the one and keep them as spares. In less than 500 miles one or both of my rhinos started popping. One is really really bad but won't totally break yet. I plan to fix the stock boot and throw my stocks back in asap. I am going to try a few things when I have time to mess with it....but mine felt like it is the driver's side outer....I don't think it will just up and break on you without an impact that would break an axel anyway. I have put the rhinos through some tough stuff and it hasn't broke completely. We broke both rhinos 2.0 on the rear of the yxz last time we were out though!(
Thanks for the details, Dood. 👍 Broke both rears on the yxz - yer worse than @CumminsPusher :oops:

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Thanks for the details, Dood. 👍 Broke both rears on the yxz - yer worse than @CumminsPusher :oops:
We broke both the rears when we were riding with the Blown Budget guys. My 14yo got a little throttle happy while sending it!! All Fun! It was a fun ride! I have some stock in rhino axels as I have around 8 of them between our machines. I am getting ready to find out how good their warranty is. And I agree with @SLOWPOKE693 and I have had better luck with stock axels than the aftermarket ones, but it is easy to just pull one out of the box and throw it in. @CID for you out on a trip, I have never had a broke axel keep me stuck out on the trails yet (now it will happen to me🤣). I have pulled them and stuck a rag in the hole in some situations, if I needed to pull the axel. We have traveled over 20 miles on 1 broken axel while in Tennessee in the past. But its not to bad doing an axel swap on the trail either.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
We broke both the rears when we were riding with the Blown Budget guys. My 14yo got a little throttle happy while sending it!! All Fun! It was a fun ride! I have some stock in rhino axels as I have around 8 of them between our machines. I am getting ready to find out how good their warranty is. And I agree with @SLOWPOKE693 and I have had better luck with stock axels than the aftermarket ones, but it is easy to just pull one out of the box and throw it in. @CID for you out on a trip, I have never had a broke axel keep me stuck out on the trails yet (now it will happen to me🤣). I have pulled them and stuck a rag in the hole in some situations, if I needed to pull the axel. We have traveled over 20 miles on 1 broken axel while in Tennessee in the past. But its not to bad doing an axel swap on the trail either.
Just wanted to report back on this and say that I am really impressed with the SuperATV warranty. My axels were bought over a year ago and we abused them. I told them exactly what we did to break them and with no questions they are sending me 2 new axels. Easiest warranty I have ever done!! I will also say @SuperATV has also always been helpful for me whenever I have reached out him. This has been my experience to date with them!! So Thanks SuperATV for sticking by your warranty!

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Just wanted to report back on this and say that I am really impressed with the SuperATV warranty. My axels were bought over a year ago and we abused them. I told them exactly what we did to break them and with no questions they are sending me 2 new axels. Easiest warranty I have ever done!! I will also say @SuperATV has also always been helpful for me whenever I have reached out him. This has been my experience to date with them!! So Thanks SuperATV for sticking by your warranty!
Thanks man!! Warranty is easy! We just want to hear the story behind the break... 🤣 🤣 🤣 I've heard and seen some good ones.

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!