CV boot patch?

CostaRicaTalon

CostaRicaTalon

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2023
Costa Rica
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well after a nice ride yesterday I discovered a bit of grease on the rear end.

Turned out to have the slightest little pin hole on one of the ribs of the boot.

I’ve been wanting to do my axels, so I ordered both rears, all the boots and so on…
But living in Costa Rica those can take a while to get here 😭 so I found on the internet about patching a boot with flexible RTV… And well. I tried it…

So stay tuned for updates as to whether or not this little temp fix actually holds. And for how long.
(Actually found great things on the internet. People saying they do this to get by but the boot never leaks again so they leave it. Mainly on cars tho no SxS)

IMG 8900 IMG 8901

CostaRicaTalon

CostaRicaTalon

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2023
Costa Rica
Ownership

1. Talon R
Little update: for application.
-I cleaned it well with brake cleaner and an engine degreaser.
-Spin the axel until the hole in the boot is at it maximum stretch point. (Up top)
-Sanded the boot just a bit where the hole was to allow the RTV to grab and hold the surface.
-Applied RTV. Wiped a nice bead. And let it dry overnight.

(After sitting and curing for about 24 hours now. The RTV seems extremely durable and still has flexibility like the rubber boot)

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well after a nice ride yesterday I discovered a bit of grease on the rear end.

Turned out to have the slightest little pin hole on one of the ribs of the boot.

I’ve been wanting to do my axels, so I ordered both rears, all the boots and so on…
But living in Costa Rica those can take a while to get here 😭 so I found on the internet about patching a boot with flexible RTV… And well. I tried it…

So stay tuned for updates as to whether or not this little temp fix actually holds. And for how long.
(Actually found great things on the internet. People saying they do this to get by but the boot never leaks again so they leave it. Mainly on cars tho no SxS)

View attachment 423608 View attachment 423609
Shoe goo has been used by a member or two here with shocking success if the RTV doesn’t hold for you. 👍🏻

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!