jtucker

jtucker

Lifetime Member
Jan 12, 2017
North GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I am working on a buddies 2019 Talon 1000R. He has a popping in the rear and I was going to take the rear axles out and grease the splines on the axles. The axles are stuck and we tried to pry them out and it didnt work so we made a axle slide hammer puller and it is not working DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS

H

HondaTech

If it's popping, greasing anything isn't going to work, the axle will need replaced.

Get the inner joint apart and clean the inner cup out

Find a nut that threads onto the end of the slide hammer

Weld nut into cup

Use slid hammer to pull cup out of diff

It's the only way I've had any luck

jtucker

jtucker

Lifetime Member
Jan 12, 2017
North GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
We built this axle puller and it has bent 1/2 steel, we had a pretty good bite on it

20230922 144002 20230922 143958

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Russel shows how he got the axles to release from the diff and it worked for me. I think the service manual says the same thing, hit it with a long screwdriver from the opposite side (no, you can't hit it straight on, your angle will be about 45*). I used a Harbor Freight 15-1/2" long prybar. Don't pry against the diff, you could damage the seal.

I saw a guy pull a RZR axle straight out by hand but when I tried that, the circlip inside the CV joint separated, not the one in the diff - so I had to cut the boot apart to remove the axle and then hammer the last of the CV out of the diff. Russel puts text in the video - Do Not Jerk The Axle Out Of The Diff.

One of these -
OIP

Jump to 3 minutes -

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
My rear axles are 100 times easier to remove than the fronts.

• Wow
Reactions: CID
jtucker

jtucker

Lifetime Member
Jan 12, 2017
North GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I put the forklift against the frame and pulled tight and tried tapping on it, we tried tapping on it as we turned it, and we also tried putting an air chisel with blunt end on it to vibrate it out and nothing is working

20230925 113219

Reactions: Smitty335
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any chance something like this will/might work?
I am not familiar with how much room in on a Talon diff.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I put the forklift against the frame and pulled tight and tried tapping on it, we tried tapping on it as we turned it, and we also tried putting an air chisel with blunt end on it to vibrate it out and nothing is working

View attachment 403967
I had to give the prybar (post #3) a few really good hits to get mine loose (idea shown in the video). You're working in a well-equipped shop, I'd copy the slide hammer in post #3.

H

HondaTech

I'm telling you find a nut the same size as your slide hammer threads

Weld that nut into the cup

Slide hammer it out

It's the only way I've gotten them out when there this stuck

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
jtucker

jtucker

Lifetime Member
Jan 12, 2017
North GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
we got it out we pushed it in as far as it would go and then hit the puller where the slide hammer attaches with a hammer as hard as we could and it came out
Thanks for all the help and suggestions

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Wow, looks like I'm up for a fight. Trying to get mine out right now. Slit a inside boot on a rear axle.

• Sad
Reactions: CID and Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not enough room to slide the black piece in there.
It doesn't have to get between the CV and diff, the 'black piece' jaw is wide enough to straddle the CV taper. The grabbing U shape only has to be deep enough to get past the centerline of the CV diameter on the tapered surface.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
It doesn't have to get between the CV and diff, the 'black piece' jaw is wide enough to straddle the CV taper. The grabbing U shape only has to be deep enough to get past the centerline of the CV diameter on the tapered surface.
Yea, its too tight for that. The opening isn't wide enough to get it back there. But I work in the steel industry. I am going to have one of my customers laser cut one that will work for the future needs

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
jtucker

jtucker

Lifetime Member
Jan 12, 2017
North GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
the puller that I posted in this thread is what we got mine out with. Just didn't use the slide hammer we hit it with a sledge hammer

• Haha
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
The welded nut works. Only took 3 slides with the slide hammer. Now my buddy who welds is also an engineer at Cummins so he felt it was best to weld a big bolt in the back of the joint, then weld a large nut on that and then the slide hammer nut inside it. So it was over kill but it works.
IMG 2357
IMG 2358

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!