P1000 The Heater Dilemma - Which One

Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
We still haven't decided to buy a P1K5 or any model Honda SXS. That's another story. Close to pulling the trigger though.
I'm anal about knowing what I'm buying and so tend to go overboard with research. The internet makes it easy.

After lots of time researching heaters these are my thoughts.
I don't like the units that mount under the seat. My thinking is the duct runs to the dash are subject to ambient air and will loose heat plus reduced CFM through longer ducts. Maybe minimal but why do this when there are alternatives. You also loose under seat storage.

The under the hood mounted units (firewall mounted) have shorter ducts. But parts of the ducts are still subject to ambient temps under the hood.

The Super ATV heater mounts under the dash keeping the duct work inside the cab I believe. I think it has the shortest ducts. It does take up leg room though.

These are my thoughts. Any input?

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
We still haven't decided to buy a P1K5 or any model Honda SXS. That's another story. Close to pulling the trigger though.
I'm anal about knowing what I'm buying and so tend to go overboard with research. The internet makes it easy.

I don't like the units that mount under the seat. My thinking is the duct runs to the dash are subject to ambient air and will loose heat plus reduced CFM through longer ducts. Maybe minimal but why do this when there are alternatives. You also loose under seat storage.

The under the hood mounted units (firewall mounted) have shorter ducts. But parts of the ducts are still subject to ambient temps under the hood.

The Super ATV heater mounts under the dash keeping the duct work inside the cab I believe. I think it has the shortest ducts. It does take up leg room though.

Like you, I enjoy doing research as well, but in general, I have found the OEM tends to be very good products, so with that said, you might consider pricing a Pioneer with a genuine Honda heater installed?

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It won’t matter what heater you use....you will need to block the front radiator about 50% with a piece of cardboard to get really good heat.

I have an inferno under seat heater with three short runs to my feet and one long run to the dash.

On a 10f day I’ll be sitting in my cab with a sweatshirt after 10 mins of plowing. Without the cardboard blocking the front radiator some, it takes forever for measureable heat output.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2

I don't have one but did do some research and was looking at the Ice crusher heater ( something to check out ). after about 20 min. of plowing I get enough heat from the motor that I have to open the windows a little or it fogs up.

Reactions: Lady01
Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks guys.
May I make a suggestion. I wouldn't use cardboard to block the radiator. If it gets wet it can plug up the radiator when it disintegrates.

Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Like you, I enjoy doing research as well, but in general, I have found the OEM tends to be very good products, so with that said, you might consider pricing a Pioneer with a genuine Honda heater installed?
I have looked at the Honda heater. I believe I have looked at all the options.
Are you saying have the Honda heater installed at the factory when it's built?

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have looked at the Honda heater. I believe I have looked at all the options.
Are you saying have the Honda heater installed at the factory when it's built?
Believe he means buy the factory one and have the dealer install.

Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Makes sense tdhanses. I will do all accessory installs.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys.
May I make a suggestion. I wouldn't use cardboard to block the radiator. If it gets wet it can plug up the radiator when it disintegrates.
Yeah it’s quite ok to use. Waxed face is better. I use a section of a poly fake dealership license plate cause I like reusing it each year.

you’d have to drive in one heck of a rain storm to have it fail to that point. If it’s wet out you won’t need it anyway. I’m talking use in seriously cold temps..like -20F.

Seriously you’re way over thinking the heater. The differences you are stating are negligible at best.

Heat rises. This is why almost everyone places the ducts low to the floor so your feet are warm first when your out ice fishing or plowing snow in your UTV.

boat loads of previous heater installs on this site. All you gotta do is search, read some of the member build articles.

Last edited:
Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Vikes79
Thanks
I have looked at a lot of the threads for heater install's.

Papaandhistoys

Papaandhistoys

Aug 11, 2019
Backwoods of northern Michigan
I just installed the the ice crusher on my 2019 p-1000-5 le (definitely a nice unit but does have some room for improvement(just minor). I like the fact that everything, with exception of one coolant line, is all mounted under the front clip. The coolant line with the MAXSTAT in it can be mounted under the radiator but they recommend installing as close to engine as possible. The install could easily be done in two very casual days but because of having to relocate some switches into their faceplate, I also had to pull my under dash storage off so I could zip tie the drivers side duct work to the firewall. It took about four days for me (wasn’t in any hurry and did a lot of overthinking,lol) What I’ve found so far is that just putting around it gets good heat but running 25/35mph it needs some holes plugged and a cold air cover for the radiator. 908eed686eb9fdf7afff910fedbb0bc6
4adcc4e8d460b93fd5bac7c53fa5a8f6
999ca010e8da3022c023995ce1d3445e

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just installed the the ice crusher on my 2019 p-1000-5 le (definitely a nice unit but does have some room for improvement(just minor). I like the fact that everything, with exception of one coolant line, is all mounted under the front clip. The coolant line with the MAXSTAT in it can be mounted under the radiator but they recommend installing as close to engine as possible. The install could easily be done in two very casual days but because of having to relocate some switches into their faceplate, I also had to pull my under dash storage off so I could zip tie the drivers side duct work to the firewall. It took about four days for me (wasn’t in any hurry and did a lot of overthinking,lol) What I’ve found so far is that just putting around it gets good heat but running 25/35mph it needs some holes plugged and a cold air cover for the radiator. View attachment 245011
View attachment 245012
View attachment 245013

Nice job!

IIRC it took me about a full weekend installing my inferno heater under the drivers seat.

The biggest issue is getting the air out of the system. It’s not easy and nearly impossible without a vacuum pump if your heater ends up being the high point in the system.

I boiled mine over upon the first install as I didn’t get all the air out. It took raising the front end several feet while running to get the air migrated to the front radiator.

Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did the same as Vikes. Mounted inferno under the seat. Main reason is that I did not want to loose any cab/leg space as cab space is a premium. I’ll have 3 riders in the front fairly often. Works great. Two vents on panel below seat and two vents on dash center. Three outputs on my heater. One hose to dash that splits to feed two dash vents and then two individual hoses feed the two vents below so most of heat comes from down below and rises. I have blocked radiator as well. I’ve got grandkids that love to ride and without heat I’d probably park it for the winter. Just too cold otherwise.

Papaandhistoys

Papaandhistoys

Aug 11, 2019
Backwoods of northern Michigan
Nice job!

IIRC it took me about a full weekend installing my inferno heater under the drivers seat.

The biggest issue is getting the air out of the system. It’s not easy and nearly impossible without a vacuum pump if your heater ends up being the high point in the system.

I boiled mine over upon the first install as I didn’t get all the air out. It took raising the front end several feet while running to get the air migrated to the front radiator.

That air is a pain for sure! I ran water through my heater/hoses before I hooked them up, ram it for a while with radiator cap off to burp some air out and then finally clamped off the top radiator hose, up near the radiator cap and that forced the water through the lines and out went the air. Refilled the the radiator and the tank and I’ve been good to go so far.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
It won’t matter what heater you use....you will need to block the front radiator about 50% with a piece of cardboard to get really good heat.

I have an inferno under seat heater with three short runs to my feet and one long run to the dash.

On a 10f day I’ll be sitting in my cab with a sweatshirt after 10 mins of plowing. Without the cardboard blocking the front radiator some, it takes forever for measureable heat output.
Good point. The DR650 motorcycle has an auxiliary oil cooler and if we don't block them off in cooler temperatures, our oil will turn milky from the condensation that never burns off. Since the P1K and Talon don't have a sight glass like the DR, you'll never know, bad juju.

The prototype, replaced with a heavy plastic notebook divider.
IMG 5296 XL

The replacement -
IMG 5306 XL

IMG 5309 M

Reactions: Lady01 and Vikes79
koma

koma

Dec 1, 2020
East Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I thought about getting an oem heater and might end up having one at a later time. I ended up throwing my Honda 2000 generator in the back and put a small ceramic heater on the floor board. Works well and can hardly hear generator running. $28.00 and I had heat.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I just installed the the ice crusher on my 2019 p-1000-5 le (definitely a nice unit but does have some room for improvement(just minor). I like the fact that everything, with exception of one coolant line, is all mounted under the front clip. The coolant line with the MAXSTAT in it can be mounted under the radiator but they recommend installing as close to engine as possible. The install could easily be done in two very casual days but because of having to relocate some switches into their faceplate, I also had to pull my under dash storage off so I could zip tie the drivers side duct work to the firewall. It took about four days for me (wasn’t in any hurry and did a lot of overthinking,lol) What I’ve found so far is that just putting around it gets good heat but running 25/35mph it needs some holes plugged and a cold air cover for the radiator. View attachment 245011
View attachment 245012
View attachment 245013

I installed the Ice Crusher Heater, over a period of days working on and off. If I would have stayed on it straight it was probably a 12 hr job for me. I like the fact it is mounted under the hood, and the heater ducts are short. I think the return air duct drawing from the cab is a good feature too. I installed the maxstat under seat near the motor. Took a few tries to bleed the air out of the system. The Maxstat initially had a 180 degree thermostat, that I replaced with a 192 degree stat. I have Gen 1 soft doors, and the heater worked fine as long as I was driving less than 15 mph. Any faster and the door tops flex open and pour cold air in the cab. I have Gen 2 hard doors on order and expect that should solve the problem. They are due in next week.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey just for s***s and giggles try taking the two bolts out of the front access door in the floorboard center and taking it out. Massive heat for free takes :30sec to see if it works for you. Works really well when moving.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good point. The DR650 motorcycle has an auxiliary oil cooler and if we don't block them off in cooler temperatures, our oil will turn milky from the condensation that never burns off. Since the P1K and Talon don't have a sight glass like the DR, you'll never know, bad juju.

The prototype, replaced with a heavy plastic notebook divider.
View attachment 245055

The replacement -
View attachment 245056

View attachment 245057
That’s a great point about the oil @CID!

Ive always blocked radiators in the cold...tractors, cars, trucks etc.

I want the factory fan cycling in cold weather...it means the engine is holding at operating temp and every thing is toasty as it should be. If it gets to hot I just cut back the board a bit.
I don’t have that milkshake crap in any of my oil caps ever.

koma

koma

Dec 1, 2020
East Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’ve got three places I need to block the wind from coming in and I think I’m done with it until the spring change over.
need to find a shifter boot of some kind and figure how to close a few gaps around the steering column.
242BE196 8FBF 4514 BCB2 128C3BE01944

Reactions: Lady01 and Vikes79

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!