P500 The wait is almost over

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
One more work day until I pick up my new (2016) Pioneer 500. After spending a year on a 2015 Rubicon and falling in love with the simplistic nature of some Honda machines, I'm more than a little excited to add the P500 to my little Honda Family. It looks to be a rugged and reliable little beast and that is exactly what I'm looking for.

Is there anything that any of you would consider a MUST DO before taking this thing out on the trail? Or any advice on little nuances that I should be aware of? I already plan to extend the vent lines on the fuel tank and differentials but didn't know if there is anything else that should be done to protect my new family member. I'm a firm believer that if I take care of it, it will take care of me.

Thanks for any insight you have to offer. And, you guys have some awesome build threads; certainly something to shoot for.

R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I know you can not wait! You will love it no doubt! There are so many ideas and options you can do...you will NEVER be finished. Just ask @trigger....he has been done a dozen times it looks like! ;)

You are absolutely right...you take of the Honda's and they will be there for a VERY long time! Just get your wallet open and go ahead and save your card info on your computer! :) :)

Reactions: Mudder and trigger
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Thanks. It is exciting. I am more excited about this one than I was my 1000-5. For some reason, I have learned that I like the smaller ATV's and SXS's better. Maybe it's the reliability factor or the fact that I truly feel as if I can go anywhere.

As far as options go, I'm researching the rear rack pretty hard. There are so many options and ideas but that is what is making it fun.
When I pick it up tomorrow, it will have 26 x 9x12 and 26 x 11 x 12 Bearclaw HTR's mounted and a KFI winch. After that, my wishlist is relatively short.
1. 1/2 windshield
2. Soft roof
3. Light Bar
4. Rear rack organization (box, basket, whatever)
5. Skid Plates
6. Ram Mount for GPS

But, I also know me and know that it will never be a finished product. When I started writing this 20 minutes ago, I only had 4 things on my list :)

Reactions: trigger and R-Lamm
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Nothing you really need to do before taking it out, it'll do just fine stock. Always things you can do to make it better though. Bigger, more aggressive tires, giving it a wider stance, unhooking the sway bar. Once you tweak the mechanical aspects a bit then you get into the comfort goodies, stereos, lights and looks.
And yes, I'm done...no, for real this time...honest, I swear...unless the locker comes out or I get an itch for those WE shocks. :D

R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Nothing you really need to do before taking it out, it'll do just fine stock. Always things you can do to make it better though. Bigger, more aggressive tires, giving it a wider stance, unhooking the sway bar. Once you tweak the mechanical aspects a bit then you get into the comfort goodies, stereos, lights and looks.
And yes, I'm done...no, for real this time...honest, I swear...unless the locker comes out or I get an itch for those WE shocks. :D
@trigger is EXACTLY right! You will be ready to play once you get it. And I also agree with his suggestions there. Sounds like you are already on the right path and have a good game plan ahead of ya. Told the wife after I got mine that all the add on's were more fun than the actually buying of the machine it seemed!

And yeah...good luck with that stopping @trigger :rolleyes:;):)

Reactions: trigger
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Oh yeah, I forgot about wheel spacers. Oh, and those WE shocks are extremely tempting. I'm going to have to keep a picture of my kids over my credit/debit cards to remind me not to tap into the college fund...

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Congrats! Ready to roll off the showroom floor. On the rear basket comment, check out an inexpensive hitch cargo carrier, just leave the hitch piece off. Perfect fit and lightweight. Northern Tool, Harbour Freight often sells for $80. Or the 3 gallon trash can mod under drivers seat is a quick option for essential tool/winching stuff storage. PS, dont worry about hard shifting at first, gets better, many good threads on improvements. And have them show you the emergency shift lever stored under drivers seat, ...just in case. Chooglin glove box is a jewel. Send pics.

40A2CD79 4867 4C96 BEE3 57B073F002F3 68F813E9 9480 460F A51B E17099626314

Last edited:
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Congrats! Ready to roll off the showroom floor. Will likely want to carry stuff, so check out an inexpensive hitch cargo carrier, just leave the hitch piece off. Perfect fit and lightweight. Northern Tool, Harbour Freight often sells for $80. Or the 3 gallon trash can mod under drivers seat is a quick option for tool storage. PS, dont worry about hard shifting at first, gets better, many good threads on improvements. And have them show you the emergency shift lever stored under drivers seat, ...just in case. Send pics.

View attachment 59347
Awesome, thank you for this. I never thought of the cargo carrier. That will certainly hold me over until I figure out what I want to do more long term. And the emergency shift lever is probably a good thing to know about :) I need to order the service manual too. The list grows...

hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Congrats on your new machine.
here is another option I went with.. Kolpin outfitters box with rotopacks mounted to it. all lifts off in seconds if you need to haul something 58789 7a6535357f46b24d2529c1b88a0949be

R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
That would be fantastic. If it's anything like my other Honda's, this should be true.
Should you ever have any questions on servicing your machine...there is a HIGHLY likely chance that someone on here has already done it and posted about it to share with others. If you ever have any questions about something, do a quick search or ask and someone will help you out. Great group of people on here who are definitely willing to help each other out!!!

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Congrats on your new machine.
here is another option I went with.. Kolpin outfitters box with rotopacks mounted to it. all lifts off in seconds if you need to haul something View attachment 59354

I definitely think some sort of dry storage would be a good idea. I was looking at plastic truck boxes too but I want to wait until I have it in my garage so I can get appropriate measurements.
And Rotopax or some sort of fuel carrying system is a must.

I'm going to have to make a priority list and start a "go fund me" page

Last edited:
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Should you ever have any questions on servicing your machine...there is a HIGHLY likely chance that someone on here has already done it and posted about it to share with others. If you ever have any questions about something, do a quick search or ask and someone will help you out. Great group of people on here who are definitely willing to help each other out!!!
You are 100% correct on this one. I have never been on a forum with so many people that are willing to help. Even when I had my P1K-5, there was always someone that already knew the issue I was having and how to fix it.
I learned with that machine and when I had my Yamaha Viking that having a quality forum leads to truly understanding your ATV/UTV and how it works. Looking forward to learning about this one. Should be similar to my Rubicon, so that's helpful.

sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
One more work day until I pick up my new (2016) Pioneer 500. After spending a year on a 2015 Rubicon and falling in love with the simplistic nature of some Honda machines, I'm more than a little excited to add the P500 to my little Honda Family. It looks to be a rugged and reliable little beast and that is exactly what I'm looking for.

Is there anything that any of you would consider a MUST DO before taking this thing out on the trail? Or any advice on little nuances that I should be aware of? I already plan to extend the vent lines on the fuel tank and differentials but didn't know if there is anything else that should be done to protect my new family member. I'm a firm believer that if I take care of it, it will take care of me.

Thanks for any insight you have to offer. And, you guys have some awesome build threads; certainly something to shoot for.
Go play right away
You will never get all the accessories
On.. Seems like you might be done then you’ll find another..
Have Fun

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Congrats! The P5 is a great little machine and a blast to ride...and upgrade...lol. We have lots of folks on the forum here who will have no problem telling you all the ways you can spend your money to make your P5 your own!

Reactions: R-Lamm
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the club.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!