Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Ive got a 5gal bucket that i keep it in and have used to fetch water when its near by. We actually used it to scoop puddle water when spraying 100acre's machine out. But when there inst water near, something like a rotopak is useful,
Just a thought..3 gallon trash can mod under P500 seat can be a good bucket if needed, and a good place to store filled water jug/plastic bag...keeping the center of gravity low and out of sight. The takeover experience has my mind thinking overtime! LOL. Just ordered 2.5 RotoFuel can with free mount special now. $69. Free mount not for RotoPaxs

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I believe that for different types of terrain, one might want to consider an all around better system to get to where you're going. So far my 25" tires have functioned well in much of the terrain out west but here in the east where lots of the trails were not only rocky and steep but also muddy and deep. All over the RRB trails I found myself continually bottoming out and hard. I'm extraordinarily thankful that I purchased the SSS OffRoad UMHW skid plates. Without them I'd of been up a Stinking Creek with lots of underside damage. I am curious how @trigger did with his stock plastic armor?
I'm thinking now about going with a 27" tire and 1" wheel spacers for better clearance and stability. If I head west anytime soon and am limited by trail width, I could always remove the spacers as needed. Also my front rim took many hits and it now shows 5 sizable dents along the bead edge. Even though each tire has two quarts of Quad Boss in them, I was still loosing air towards the end of the day on Saturday. Which in itself made me feel more tippy to the left. Will aluminum rims be any better as far as denting/bending is concerned? I'm also wanting to pick up and mount a spare tire somewhere on the P5. I'd also like to look into some better shocks at some point too for a smoother ride as well.
Although my big box on the back holds a lot of gear for when I'm riding way out in the backcountry alone, it also blocks a good rear view for when backing up and reverse maneuvering. Plus the more space you have, the more crap you bring, weighing down your vehicle even more.
There are a few things that I think are more important to have on hand which I'll be purchasing soon, and those items so far are are: One of those 12 volt air compressors. The one I have is a nice ARB but it's large and isn't 12v. One must remove the battery cover to access the terminals to operate it as it only comes with alligator clips. It's great for my Overlanding rig but not for the Pioneer.
Another item on the must purchase list is one of those 12 volt water pump with intake filter and sprayer nozzle to clean out the radiator. Myself and quite a few others seemed to have overheating issues due to clogged radiators. Because of the high amounts of dust and mud, I think carrying an extra air filter is a must as well. I'm really glad I brought a spray bottle of Cinch window cleaner and microfiber rags with me. it was non streaking and did a great job removing all the mud and dust from my windshield.
I think adding a snorkel is also a important addition. There were a few creek crossings that I wondered if I was gonna go too deep and get flooded. That and I believe it'll help with less dust being sucked into the airbox.
I'm very thankful for my winch as it's pulled much larger machines out of the mud and saved my butt a few times as well and I know there were a few folks out there without them. So, whomever reads this please note this as being one of the 1st accessories you should purchase! Without one, you may find yourself stuck and s*** out of luck. Although I've not had the chance to use it on my P5, I have a great heavy duty tire plug kit made by ARB and keep it in the box all the time.
Again, overall my machine outperformed any and all of my expectations and gave me a better peace of mind when riding at RRB. It climbed the steepest trails and powered through the muddiest bogs and ruts. I think with a few more changes soon, the Scarab will be climbing trees!
If anyone else has any suggestions for must haves please feel free to add them here and thank you..

My stock skids took a beating. Folded one corner back pretty good. New skids are on the list.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
My suggestion would be buying a 1000
I knew this was coming...but you know, he has a good point. When the rocks and ruts get bigger, bigger machines just deal with them better. And let's face it, most of the parks out there are being worn by ever bigger and more powerful machines.
On a 50" trail...or those worn in by quads like the ones I grew up riding, I'd bet the 500 is awesome.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
My suggestion would be buying a 1000

Not that same old tired ass suggestion again? :rolleyes:
I suggest breaking away from the same old group and riding with some P5's to appreciate what they can do. Saw P1's struggle to climb rocks that I drove right around. If the ruts get too deep hammer the throttle or pull out the winch cable.
The Mud Wall

Went through everything I pointed it at. ;)

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I suggest breaking away from the same old group and riding with some P5's to appreciate what they can do. Saw P1's struggle to climb rocks that I drove right around. If the ruts get too deep hammer the throttle or pull out the winch cable.
View attachment 73276

...and i also meant to say that at some point, bigger machines are FORCED to go through things that smaller ones go around. I should point out that most of those trails i grew up riding, a 1000 wouldn't even fit in.

Did you make it through that?
Did anything make it through that?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 73276

The 500 is NOT a bad machine, but it can do things the 1000 can’t.

Fit between trees, take 4-wheeler trails, ride in 50” parks.

A lot of guys have modified their machines to fit their needs the smaller machine fits people’s needs too.

It depends on the riding you do or the work you do.

I have built mine to go up and over things AND work hard around the homestead.

It was going up WidowMaker Friday and today it had a 40Gal sprayer and a trailer behind it hauling cut trees, tomorrow it will be smoothing gravel on the driveway.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
...and i also meant to say that at some point, bigger machines are FORCED to go through things that smaller ones go around. I should point out that most of those trails i grew up riding, a 1000 wouldn't even fit in.

Did you make it through that?
Did anything make it through that?

Lol, Jackal went through it first, it was ugly but he made it so I figured I could, got even uglier but I got through it too. Then Mudder had the idea of throwing some logs down in the deep trench so you weren't pressed up against the mud wall and the rest of the group got through it.
Btw, I threw those logs in there and got plastered with mud!

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lol, Jackal went through it first, it was ugly but he made it so I figured I could, got even uglier but I got through it too. Then Mudder had the idea of throwing some logs down in the deep trench so you weren't pressed up against the mud wall and the rest of the group got through it.
Btw, I threw those logs in there and got plastered with mud!
Trigger the Rut Rim Riding Logger

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Being that I spent most of the time steering with my left hand while holding Bayleaf back with my right hand and not having power steering, my left hand is in a sort of numb pain. I think I need to look into power steering.

J

JTW

Being that I spent most of the time steering with my left hand while holding Bayleaf back with my right hand and not having power steering, my left hand is in a sort of numb pain. I think I need to look into power steering.
Just buy a 1000 3 and save yourself a lot of time and trouble

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
View attachment 73276

Amen and for much less $$$

Reactions: 100Acre and trigger
GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
After riding 140+ miles at RRB a few things crossed my mind. Yes, better suspension from WE is needed. Those that have the WE front shocks said they noticed a better ride but they still were sore after long riding days. I think ground clearance will always limit the limits of the machine however this P5 I have will go anywhere and do anything I wanna do. I was amazed at the trails @JACKAL took us on and we never had problems crossing deep water crossings, big rocks or off cambers. Extreme hills with very rough rocks were no match to this machine. it handled mud and ruts like a boss and without a front locker. Yes, there is a place for a locker but I really don't think its needed in this machine because ground clearance often gets machine high centered in ruts and it truly wouldn't matter if all 4 was spinning! Electric power steering is a must if your going to be riding this type of terrain. Mine from SuperATV was a one handed breeze driving. Assist was perfect to me. SSW skidplates did a wonderful job of protecting the frame. 27" Tusk Warthog 8 ply radial tires were the best I've ever had. I never got stuck once and I think the tires and the size helped me clear things and give me the traction to get through everything. I debated of buying the Throttle Maxx but I did not and wanted to see if my leg/shin would get tired and sore from long riding and it never bothered me once without it. I do like the idea of adding the storage under the seat for items and I'm looking into other carrier options besides the Harbor Freight cargo carrier I had as it did not hold up what so ever in the conditions. I got to ride with Mudd Man and several P1000's and 700's and I thought how nice it would be to ride fast and clear bigger rocks like they did. How nice it would be to have more interior space, more leg room, more storage options and more power. But I realize how much I save in money compared to those bigger machines and that I went everywhere they did without a issue. I was able to go on tight trails that the 1000 will never be able to go. Yes their are tradeoffs, but I'm 150% happy with my P500 and with a couple of upgrades, I'll be ready for Utah in September.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got my collapsing 1.3 gallon bucket and 12Volt pump with sprayer today! The bucket can double as a water dish for Bayleaf among other uses. I think it was @Dragon21 who had the pump at takeover, so thanks for that!

IMG 4556
IMG 4562

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!