BOX1

This leak look familiar?

N

Nutter9305

Feb 21, 2021
Hell
Ownership

1. Talon x4
2020 x4. We just took about a 20mile road trip to a local winery and I got home and noticed this little bit of leakage around the rear passenger side diff wheel shift

any ideas? No weird sounds of anything just the fluid doesn't seem to be dripping anymore.

Thanks
20210402 205321

Reactions: Biteme
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Clean that boot really good, crevices and all and look for any tears. But that looks more fluid than what I’ve seen from boot leaks before...🤔

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Mine was the left front. What may be happening is explained in post #17 linked in my sig along with some other useful Talon info. It's also possible that the seal may just have to wear in and will quit on its own.

Reactions: Biteme
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
One of the wine bottles you transported back in the bed leaked and dripped through one of the drip holes.

• Haha
Reactions: CID and Biteme
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hard to see the case in the photo, i don't see a drip running down the side of the case. Any chance the oil was replaced recently and a small mess was made?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
That's easy, clean it up, ride and see if it's still leaking.

H

hondatalonr

Feb 6, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
That is not a seal leak. If were a seal there would be evidence of oil on the side of case like already mentioned, I see appearance of some sort of liquid above the axle shaft on the frame. Like CID said clean it up and drive and recheck.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Upon a closer look, it appears there is some sort of fluid coming from the drain hole in the frame. The rear diff and sub-trans vents go into the upper part of the frame. If you overfilled either then you may be getting some spitting out the vent , running through the frame and out that hole.

Did you by any chance recently change or add fluid to the rear diff?

Reactions: Stilly1155 and CID
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Upon a closer look, it appears there is some sort of fluid coming from the drain hole in the frame. The rear diff and sub-trans vents go into the upper part of the frame. If you overfilled either then you may be getting some spitting out the vent , running through the frame and out that hole.

Did you by any chance recently change or add fluid to the rear diff?

View attachment 264679
I might add that if you did add oil remember that the fill hole is not the fill level

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I might add that if you did add oil remember that the fill hole is not the fill level
Yes and I am going to go out on a limb here and say the rear diff is overfilled.

If overfilled to the fill hole (instead of the level check hole) then the fluid will expand when it gets warm (like a 20 mile trip to the winery) and vent out the diff hose. It will then run down the frame, out the hole and all over the place similar to the OP's pics...

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
fwiw: the oil check hole is the same as the oil fill hole on the front diff - there isn't a separate, lower check hole. Page 3-19 in the service manual.

Reactions: Stilly1155
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had its 1st maintenance from Honda my guess it was over filled thanks for all the input guys!
Easy fix. I would just pull the check plug out and wait for it to stop draining. If it was filled to the top of the case it will take a while- gives you time to contemplate what other simple task may have been fouled up

Reactions: Stilly1155 and CID
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!