Those da_n Winches

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a SuperWinch Terra 45 on my 2021 P1K5. I've primarily used it to lift my plow blade, so there are short hauls and not too much weight.

Today, I found myself stuck on an uphill ice sheet of a road. I spun the yellow dial to "Disengage", pulled the wire rope out, and hooked to a tree. Spun the yellow dial back to engage and for the F n life of me, I cannot get the thing to spool the rope back in. I've flipped the yellow dial back and forth, have tugged and fed rope, and it still won't engage to pull the rope back in.
The motor is running and here and there it kinda tries to pull the rope. But if there's any tension on the rope, the motor spins but does not engage to retract.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Reactions: ChadD
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like you need to install a harbor freight badlands winch, it’ll work.

Reactions: Scoop and ChadD
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sounds like you got ice in there and won’t engage. After the plow season I find a hill with a slight incline and hook to a tree at the top then I spool all the cable out. I get grease on a rag and rub it in.the entire cable. I spray the winch with wd-40 and then silicone spray. Then I use the winch to pull the machine up the SLIGHT incline and guide it back in tight and neat. While it’s completely out check to make sure it’s connected properly to the spool. There’s a little ball bearing that the cable loops around that keeps it from pulling out of the spool. If the cable just comes off the spool then start looking for that bearing ball.after it it completely in then I spray spool and cable with lithium grease. And try not to ever pressure washer the hell out of your winch.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!