Multi Three broken ribs

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
So afew days ago I head out on a 100 km ride through some west coast forest, on the logging roads. I drove the '17 P500 and baby brother was on the '13 Honda 500 Rubicon quad. Started out nice...

20170430 113055 resized 1

Most of the ride was on more wide-open, gravel trails. We stopped for lunch at the top of a powerline over-looking our goal, the town of Port Alberni. One choice of direction was a bit of a gnarly down-hill. I asked my bro to check it out with the quad. If he thought the P500 could do it, then I'd follow. He stopped for a second at the top of it, then all I saw was the quad going over and kicking the rider off, 75 feet down a steep slope. I've seen YouTube videos of machines going over, but it's different when you see it live...

20170430 123113 resized 1

If you zoom in, you can see his legs sticking out to the left of the machine. He slid face down the hill on his belly. As he slid, the machine hit him twice and landed on top of him. He crawled out. He was in shock abit and confused. He'd broken three ribs and initially was struggling to catch his breath. First words he said were 'rocks are hard'. It's hard to tell from the images, but it was a steep hill. I was worried if I touched the machine it would continue tumbling another 500 feet to the bottom of the hill.

20170430 123429 HDR

Assisted the victim up the hill to where I had sensibly decided to park the P500. Then I started to figure out how to get the quad on it's wheels and up the hill. I figured we'd tow it back to the truck. I tied the machine to a big rock in case it did start to go.

20170430 124207 HDR

I used a come-along to get the quad on it's side. It got too tight to work with the come-along so I decided to do the rest of the job with the P500's winch (a Superwinch 3500SR). It was 85 foot away so used some rope to extend my reach.

20170430 130419 HDR

Two motorcycle kids came by and helped with the recovery. Once the machine was at the top, I let the oil settle down and it started first try. The beating it took and it still ran fine. The P500 was just excellent for winching the quad up. The winch never heated up. Bro drove the P500 the 35 kms to the truck... every pothole was painful. I drove the banged up atv.

What did I learn?
- don't let your brother decide if a trail is safe. Look yourself. He said he never would have tried that descent... doesn't know why he did.
- you can't have enough line. I used a 16 foot tow-strap, a 12 foot load strap, short pieces to tie the quad off to the rock, a small come-along, and my 50 feet of 5/16" marine braid line. All I had left was about 100 ft of 1/4" poly.
- rocks are hard. He's got 3 broken ribs, is on pain-killers and the docs say it'll take 6 weeks to recover. Lucky it wasn't worse. His full-face helmet is a write-off, but kept his noggin intact.
- Hondas are tough. I watched that thing tumble down a shot-rock hill and land upside down. All I need is a new front bumper, front rack and handle-bar.

Ride safe, Al

Last edited:
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Wow, sorry for the bad day. It could have been worse though. Thanks for posting it for us to read. We always need a reminder to stay safe.

(Delton) "I HATE light scratches too. Makes me think I left some fun on the table. So I go back out there and cover them up with deep scratches. Works every time lol."

Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
So afew days ago I head out on a 100 km ride through some west coast forest, on the logging roads. I drove the '17 P500 and baby brother was on the '13 Honda 500 Rubicon quad. Started out nice...

View attachment 42470
Most of the ride was on more wide-open, gravel trails. We stopped for lunch at the top of a powerline over-looking our goal, the town of Port Alberni. One choice of direction was a bit of a gnarly down-hill. I asked my bro to check it out with the quad. If he thought the P500 could do it, then I'd follow. He stopped for a second at the top of it, then all I saw was the quad going over and kicking the rider off, 75 feet down a steep slope. I've seen YouTube videos of machines going over, but it's different when you see it live...

View attachment 42467
If you zoom in, you can see his legs sticking out to the left of the machine. He slid face down the hill on his belly. As he slid, the machine hit him twice and landed on top of him. He crawled out. He was in shock abit and confused. He'd broken three ribs and initially was struggling to catch his breath. First words he said were 'rocks are hard'. It's hard to tell from the images, but it was a steep hill. I was worried if I touched the machine it would continue tumbling another 500 feet to the bottom of the hill.

View attachment 42475
Assisted the victim up the hill to where I had sensibly decided to park the P500. Then I started to figure out how to get the quad on it's wheels and up the hill. I figured we'd tow it back to the truck. I tied the machine to a big rock in case it did start to go.

View attachment 42468
I used a come-along to get the quad on it's side. I had it tied to a big rock just up the hill. Then it was too tight to work with the come-along I so decided to do the rest of the job with the P500's winch (a Superwinch 3500SR). It was 85 foot away so used some rope to extend my reach.

View attachment 42469
Two motorcycle kids came by and helped with the recovery. Once the machine was at the top, I let the oil settle down and it started first try. The beating it took and it still ran fine. The P500 was just excellent for winching the quad up. The winch never heated up.

What did I learn?
- don't let your brother decide if a trail is safe. Look yourself. He said he never would have tried that descent... doesn't know why he did.
- you can't have enough line. I used a 16 foot tow-strap, a 12 foot load strap, short pieces to tie the quad off to the rock, a small come-along, and my 50 feet of 5/16" marine braid line. All I had left was about 100 ft of 1/4" poly.
- rocks are hard. He's got 3 broken ribs, is on pain-killers and the docs say it'll take 6 weeks to recover. Lucky it wasn't worse. His full-face helmet is a write-off, but kept his noggin intact.
- Hondas are tough. I watched that thing cart-wheel down a shot-rock hill and land upside down. I'll need a new front bumper, front rack and handle-bar.

Ride safe, Al
Quite the tumble!!! Couold have been worse.

Reactions: sharp
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Holy Smokes!!! Man, thank God he's ok.

How did you keep your head enough to take pictures while he was still under the bike?
(I would have been freaking out)

GREAT WRITE UP AND DOCUMENTARY, BTW!!!

Hah. That would be pretty cold taking a picture before checking the victim! As soon as I saw him taking the hard way down the hill, I ran down and checked him. Once I was satisfied he was going to survive, I moved back up the hill to get some rope to secure the quad. Part way up I thought... this is a good time for a picture. I never freaked out. When you're faced with a situation, you have a job to do, and taking the time to panic isn't helpful.

Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Relieved he wasn't hurt worse. That said, broken ribs are no picnic.
Not trying to make light of the situation, but the "rocks are hard" comment made me chuckle. He obviously has a good sense of humor.
I wish your brother a speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Standing at the top of the hill looking down Frank Baron would say "HOLLY CRAP!!!" and if were my brother I would have hollered "SUCKES TO BE YOU!!!"

Reactions: swsebek and sharp
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
How did you keep your head enough to take pictures while he was still under the bike?

Lol, that's what I was thinking as I read it.

That would be pretty cold taking a picture before checking the victim!

When your brother sees that pic he's gonna say wth...?
Glad he and the quad are ok. Broken ribs suck, hard to breathe.

Reactions: Miss_Oak and sharp
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Glad that everything is going to be OK.

Thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: sharp
sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
I broke ribs on both sides in a truck wreck Feb. 2016. First thing I figured out was when a horse kicked me 30 years ago and I thought he'd broke my ribs, he didn't, they weren't even close to broke. If you've got broken ribs there ain't no "thought" to it, you know. I also had surgery to put a plate on a broken leg and was bruised up really bad just about all over, but I didn't know that anything was hurt at all, except the ribs. I figured out that ribs a somehow connected to every molecule in your body and if one atom in a single molecule moves, broke ribs hurt.

lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Wow, sorry to hear about the accident! I'm really glad your brother is going to be ok. It's great that you were able to keep your composure in an emergency situation. At times like that, it's hard to do, but it's the most effective way, if you can stay cool.

Reactions: uconn411
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Thank God he's ok ! My good friend who was 70 at the time (14months ago) flipped my Honda Rubicon over on him . He was in so much pain it took me 6 hrs to get him 8 miles to emergency room . Two miles of trail 6 miles of paved rd all in my Side by Side . Trauma level 4 they said as they loaded him into a helicopter to fly him 100 miles to a different hospital as they were a level 1 only .
Broken sternum , 7 broken ribs in the front , all ribs on the left side broke on the back side too , broken collar bone and a collapsed lung .
Two weeks in icu , and 14 months later he is doing good . Still some pain now and then and he can't hit the golf ball as far but still here ! Oh yes he did have a helmet on and it got fractured too but , his head didn't . Yes I should have called for a helicopter but I had no clue how bad he was .Yes now he's titanium man 1 big plate on his sternum and 9 small ones on various ribs .

Nascar

Nascar

Feb 20, 2017
Cariboo, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Hey Al, sorry to hear about the accident and glad your brother didn’t get hurt more than he did. Good thing you were well equipped and level headed.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Glad it was not worst for him. Get well soon. Reminds me of a head on deer strike on my street bike, broken bones and thumb not right after surgery. On four wheels now.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!