Tip-out windshield install problem

A

Alg

Aug 10, 2014
I just installed the Honda tip-out windshield and have a problem. If I tighten the knobs thru the hinge arms they won't hold the windshield open or closed. In other words, if I tighten both knobs I can still open the windshield. if left like this, the windshield will bounce all over while riding. I'm sure I installed it correctly. I think the knobs bottom out before they tighten against the hinge arms. Anyone install a windshield? Help!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Alg,
Just want to ask to make sure.. But did you install the washer between the hinge and the knob?
If it is there, then it is set up correctly.
Option for a easy fix would be to add a second or thicker washer from the local hardware store.

A

Alg

Aug 10, 2014
There are actually two washers, one on either side of the hinge arm. I installed both as per drawing. If I tighten the knob all the way, the hinge still moves freely. I can't lock the windshield in a position. It feels like the knob "bottoms out" before it tightens against the hinge arm. The washer would be difficult to duplicate because it has an unusually large hole to fit over the shaft of the knob.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hum... that's weird. Not much to really mess up there.
Do you think the bolt bottoms out on the ROPS?
Or... Do you think the shaft is too long for where it slides on the arm?
I could see easily timing the bolt, but the shaft the arm slides on would be difficult to trim.

You contact your dealer about it, but if it was me.. I'd just a well make a washer.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I installed mine this fall. Only have had it in the closed position, but it has held tight. There should be a black washer on both sides of the "cam" arm.

The clamping arm should screw in for adjustment. I can turn mine in further, such that you can't fold over the arm. Is yours bottoming out before getting tight?

Hard to explain in words, maybe we can exchange pictures to figure out the issue?

A

Alg

Aug 10, 2014
Took it all apart and found both 1/4 nuts that the knob screwed into were bad. Replaced both and works fine! Thanks for everyone's input.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!