P1000 Tire Advice Please

Sjc3081

Sjc3081

Jan 16, 2017
Wappinger NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you already have the deluxe wheels Kanati Mongrel come in 27” and 28”x 14@ wheels . Also Quadboss makes a nice DOT tire that is road and trail capable.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
LT tires are the way to go. You can also mount them on your deluxe wheels if you like. Ive had LT tires for the last 3-1/2 yrs. the ware is excellent , cost is much cheaper, ride better on pavement and can be much quieter depending on witch ine you choose. No need to buy an expencive name brand like Michelin or BF dor that machine. Most any AT or MT style will e fine, were not traveling down highways for 25-30k miles lol. As for weight, yes there a bit heavier than OEM and ive seen a slight slow down but nothing that has effected my road or my hard trail riding. People think too much into that imo. @BWAF has had a set as long as i have and has been happy as well. Again just an opinion.
View attachment 264946

Yep been great for me 7800 miles 235-75-15 I did some grooving

20200105 160649 20180406 125934 20180426 184425

SP82

SP82

Jan 21, 2021
CA
Look up the tusk terrabite tires from Rockymountainatvmc there similar to a lt tire. Come in oem sizes or larger. Dot rated and are pretty affordable. Also lighter than the comparable bfg muds. I put about 400 miles on mine this week. Work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I looked at the Tusk Terrabite tire. The sizes I need are available.

The tread looks fairly aggressive. How noisy are they on pavement? Do they howl and drum on blacktop?
There gona howl!

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks Remington. If I buy tires I'd like to reduce the in-cab noise.

UPS is expected to deliver the Deluxe take-off wheels today. The wheels should have a new set of oem tires that I've been told will howl and drum even louder than the tires on my 12" wheels.

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks Remington. If I buy tires I'd like to reduce the in-cab noise.

UPS is expected to deliver the Deluxe take-off wheels today. The wheels should have a new set of oem tires that I've been told will howl and drum even louder than the tires on my 12" wheels.
Tensor regulators have worked well for me. I bought a used set from a member and have put a few thousand miles on them. They're still working great. They suck in mud and what snow I've tried them in. The tread pattern resembles the lt tires and they are quiet on the road and dot approved. I've had great luck buying used on fb with the last several couple sets.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

The tread pattern looks like it would be less noisy than most and the list of product features claims the tire is quieter.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

The tread pattern looks like it would be less noisy than most and the list of product features claims quiter.
They've been good to us. I haul all kinds of crap and tow the back half of an s-10 pickup as a yard cart. They handled the weight well and have been an excellent all terrain tire for us. At home my use is primarily on blacktop back and forth to another property. In comparison I wore the stock 27x12" black stones off it in about 500 miles.

SP82

SP82

Jan 21, 2021
CA
I looked at the Tusk Terrabite tire. The sizes I need are available.

The tread looks fairly aggressive. How noisy are they on pavement? Do they howl and drum on blacktop?

In comparison to the stock bighorns they are way quieter on the street / blacktop. In comparison to say a Michelin street tire of course there noisier. It’s similar to a bfg mud terrain. Or any other major mud tread probably. Mine is mainly for trail use so not a big concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m gonna throw in another recommendation for LT tires. I asked all the same questions and debated and debated and went back and forth for months. Finally said “screw it” and ordered a set of 4 Maxxis Buckshot Mudders when they went on sale. My only regret is I didn’t order them sooner. I don’t ride as much blacktop as it seems you do, but I ride a decent amount to get to trails and dirt roads around me. When I first put them on I couldn’t believe the difference. It was actually quieter than my truck (it has BFG Mud Terrains). I thought I’d lose a little traction but I have went through some stuff that made me an even bigger believer in these LT tires. As for the power loss...if it did lose any, I didn’t notice it. I don’t drive hard anyway but I do put it to work hauling things around, pulling fairly steep hills, and it still gets up the road pretty quick when I press the pedal. I lost a little bit of braking performance but not enough to gripe about. On top of that, you’ll be hard pressed to ever wear them out on something as light as these machines. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

I've seen these tires mentioned several times here in the forum.

I wish we had a simple way to measure sound level in a Pioneer or Talon at a certain road speed so we could compare actual readings.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
UPS delivered by take-off Pioneer Deluxe wheels and tires this afternoon. The tires still had the tiny mold nipples on the treads so Honda of Russellville must have removed them and installed aftermarket wheels and larger tires as soon as their Pioneers were unloaded.

I installed them and took a about a ten mile ride around the neighborhood. It's too early to say how the noise level compares with my oem 12" wheels and tires but the ride is definitely smoother. I don't know yet if that's due to the tread design or better balance of each tire and wheel.

I was wearing cheap Walmart hearing protector ear muffs so the ride was quiet.

The information, suggestions, and photos provided by many of you was extremely helpful. When I posted this thread I knew essentially nothing about the wheel and tire options available and I'm grateful to each of you.

For now I'm going to use the Maxxis tires mounted on the 14" wheels. I have several ideas now about the tires I'll purchase for the 14" wheels in the future.

showme69

showme69

Dec 25, 2020
Washington, MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
LT tires are the way to go. You can also mount them on your deluxe wheels if you like. Ive had LT tires for the last 3-1/2 yrs. the ware is excellent , cost is much cheaper, ride better on pavement and can be much quieter depending on witch ine you choose. No need to buy an expencive name brand like Michelin or BF dor that machine. Most any AT or MT style will e fine, were not traveling down highways for 25-30k miles lol. As for weight, yes there a bit heavier than OEM and ive seen a slight slow down but nothing that has effected my road or my hard trail riding. People think too much into that imo. @BWAF has had a set as long as i have and has been happy as well. Again just an opinion.
View attachment 264946
Can you give details on your setup? Looks like you have the stock a-arms. Once my stock tires wear out I will probably go with LT tires because we do more road riding than anything. I don’t want to go as far as changing a-arms, etc. but understand I may need spacers with some setups. Just trying to figure out exactly what I’d need to have to move up to 28” tires as far as wheel offset, spacers etc. front and back to run the same tires all around with no rub problems.
And as a side question, what skid plate do you have?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Can you give details on your setup? Looks like you have the stock a-arms. Once my stock tires wear out I will probably go with LT tires because we do more road riding than anything. I don’t want to go as far as changing a-arms, etc. but understand I may need spacers with some setups. Just trying to figure out exactly what I’d need to have to move up to 28” tires as far as wheel offset, spacers etc. front and back to run the same tires all around with no rub problems.
And as a side question, what skid plate do you have?
I do have SATV arms and spacers for my 30's. you can do 28's LT with stock arms, i would suggest spacers so u don't rub. @RB3offroad has nice spacers set for you. Ive run there stuff for the last 5 yrs.
I have Rival skid plates. they are aluminum, Have had them the last 5 years as will. They have takin a beating and still holding up. they also curve up the side a bit and heat the frame. There also ridged enough that they study up the whole undercarrege frame as well. they also come with arm guards.

showme69

showme69

Dec 25, 2020
Washington, MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do have SATV arms and spacers for my 30's. you can do 28's LT with stock arms, i would suggest spacers so u don't rub. @RB3offroad has nice spacers set for you. Ive run there stuff for the last 5 yrs.
I have Rival skid plates. they are aluminum, Have had them the last 5 years as will. They have takin a beating and still holding up. they also curve up the side a bit and heat the frame. There also ridged enough that they study up the whole undercarrege frame as well. they also come with arm guards.
Thanks for the reply. I had looked at the RB3 spacers and was probably going to go with them. It probably won’t be until next year so not in a big hurry. I’ve been looking at the Rival skid plate too and trying to decide which one to go with. I’m leaning toward the Rival right now.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks for the reply. I had looked at the RB3 spacers and was probably going to go with them. It probably won’t be until next year so not in a big hurry. I’ve been looking at the Rival skid plate too and trying to decide which one to go with. I’m leaning toward the Rival right now.
9DBDDE08 3CA7 4E80 82FF 41C03E3150BB

not the best pic. This is the Rival on my machine.

HawkDriver

HawkDriver

Mar 31, 2017
Sierra Vista, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you already have the deluxe wheels Kanati Mongrel come in 27” and 28”x 14@ wheels . Also Quadboss makes a nice DOT tire that is road and trail capable.
Any idea what the load rating is for these? I have been looking at them, cant find any info about it. It seems every tire I seem to like has a really low rating.

Reactions: Lady01 and Isaiah

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!