P1000 Tire Comparison - anyone done one?

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
1. Has anyone done a tire spec comparison? Actual height, width, weight? Maybe a spread sheet?

2. Where do you think is the best place to buy tires online? Price and shipping. Dealership is $$$!

3. Are you guys mounting them your self or having someone do them for you on your stock rims? I have 12" steels that I want to keep. What about these self balancing beads? I got them on motorcycle last summer and they work great for that application.

Thanks guys. I tried searching but there is so much I got lost for about 45 minutes.

Reactions: Isaiah
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
One of the online tire sites (mud throwers maybe?) usually posts some actual numbers. Most will give them to you if you ask.
I agree, a nice site or page dedicated to this would be cool.

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have been using the beads also on my 2wheeler for years, not needed on the pioneer.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We should compile the info here. I’ll start

30x10-14 K9 Super Grips, measure 29” tall at 11psi.

Reactions: Rick53 and Isaiah
L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
There are infinite set ups with tires/wheels/offet etc. It is endless.

I've haven't seen a comprehensive spreadsheet but one would be nice for someone to do while figuring it out.

This isn't an easy task and you will have to think thru many things to filter it down for your needs.
It can be frustrating as there isn't a quick, easy answer and as you ask 1 question. you will get 3 back.

-DOT matter to you now or in future?
-Rock crawling or turf or hard tops
-Tread pattern
-Mud digging or sand? Thread matters
-TIre manuf. you prefer
-Wheel size / replacement and offest
-Is rotating them important to you?
- how many plys on side walls, for road use or rock crawling, it all makes a difference.

Or find someone riding where you do and see what they use. :)

good luck.

Reactions: Napaul and Isaiah
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There are infinite set ups with tires/wheels/offet etc. It is endless.

I've haven't seen a comprehensive spreadsheet but one would be nice for someone to do while figuring it out.

This isn't an easy task and you will have to think thru many things to filter it down for your needs.
It can be frustrating as there isn't a quick, easy answer and as you ask 1 question. you will get 3 back.

-DOT matter to you now or in future?
-Rock crawling or turf or hard tops
-Tread pattern
-Mud digging or sand? Thread matters
-TIre manuf. you prefer
-Wheel size / replacement and offest
-Is rotating them important to you?
- how many plys on side walls, for road use or rock crawling, it all makes a difference.

Or find someone riding where you do and see what they use. :)

good luck.

I actually started a spreadsheet yesterday for what I am looking for. I know it sounds crazy to some, but I want to stay with a stock size tire: 27x9x12 in the front and 27x11x12 in the back. I don't need anything taller and I don't want my speed to suffer with heavier tires. All great points and questions because my spreadsheet would probably only be helpful for less than 10% of the guys on here. I'll attach it if anyone one is interested in my results. I got the numbers from various websites. I am waiting for Quadboss to get back to me because their numbers were no where to be found.

Here are my requirements:

-This is a farm machine that we also like to run on the property for fun
-DOT does NOT matter here in Upstate NY
-No rocks, no deep mud, no sand - lots of farm fields and heavily wooded rolling hills
-Has to be good in snow
-Use breakdown: 50% trails, 25% turf, 25% pavement
-I am riding on OEM tires now and I do not have a manufacture preference.
-I don't have to rotate
-I've never had a flat on the 4 plys now so extra plys are not needed but would be nice
- I'm a cheap AF so I'd like to go with best value

I'd ask someone around here but UTV's are not as prevalent around here.

Edit: I am just seeing the Sunf tires. Anyone know anything about those?

Attachments

• Copy of UTV 27x12-3.xlsx
    14.8 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
I like my terribites. they don't tear up turf as badly as OEM and ride much better on hard surfaces.
what I have seen so far, they work well in mud but there should be more about mud a snow on them from others.

Reactions: Napaul and Isaiah
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I just put some truck tires on my buggy. The guy that mounted them put balance beads in the tires and I would highly recommend them. The factory tires would shake when going fast down the road. The new tires with balance beads are super smooth. Zero shaking all the way up to 66 mph. I'd definitely recommend balance beads.

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just put some truck tires on my buggy. The guy that mounted them put balance beads in the tires and I would highly recommend them. The factory tires would shake when going fast down the road. The new tires with balance beads are super smooth. Zero shaking all the way up to 66 mph. I'd definitely recommend balance beads.

Good to know!

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I actually started a spreadsheet yesterday for what I am looking for. I know it sounds crazy to some, but I want to stay with a stock size tire: 27x9x12 in the front and 27x11x12 in the back. I don't need anything taller and I don't want my speed to suffer with heavier tires. All great points and questions because my spreadsheet would probably only be helpful for less than 10% of the guys on here. I'll attach it if anyone one is interested in my results. I got the numbers from various websites. I am waiting for Quadboss to get back to me because their numbers were no where to be found.

Here are my requirements:

-This is a farm machine that we also like to run on the property for fun
-DOT does NOT matter here in Upstate NY
-No rocks, no deep mud, no sand - lots of farm fields and heavily wooded rolling hills
-Has to be good in snow
-Use breakdown: 50% trails, 25% turf, 25% pavement
-I am riding on OEM tires now and I do not have a manufacture preference.
-I don't have to rotate
-I've never had a flat on the 4 plys now so extra plys are not needed but would be nice
- I'm a cheap AF so I'd like to go with best value

I'd ask someone around here but UTV's are not as prevalent around here.

Edit: I am just seeing the Sunf tires. Anyone know anything about those?

Did yours come with the OEM Bighorns? If so, how do you like them? Did they do everything you needed them to do? A lot of people are really big fans of the BH2 tires. If they worked well for you, go with what works and just order another set of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: trigger and Rick53
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did yours come with the OEM Bighorns? If so, how do you like them? Did they do everything you needed them to do? A lot of people are really big fans of the BH2 tires. If they worked well for you, go with what works and just order another set of those.

Yes they have the Bighorns. I like them except the front tires are wearing to fast from the pavement. An option would be to to just put a new set up front because still have some life in them. They aren't the cheapest tires either. Not feeling I got a lot of value out of them is all.

I added the Sunf tires. Quadboss has to gotten back to me.

Attachments

• Copy of UTV 27x12-3.xlsx
    14.8 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Reactions: Napaul
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like bighorn 2.0... I’m getting 28 blackwater evolution next....

Reactions: trigger
tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good to know!
I have a 2018 P-3, and the original, aggressive front tire are really getting bad. The rear tires are still good, and I'm wondering if I can put less aggressive tires on the front and keep my original rear tires on the machine. I do about 90% of riding on paved roads since we don't have many trails around here. I would even consider truck tires on the front if that would work.

Tire recommendations?

Sjc3081

Sjc3081

Jan 16, 2017
Wappinger NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2018 P-3, and the original, aggressive front tire are really getting bad. The rear tires are still good, and I'm wondering if I can put less aggressive tires on the front and keep my original rear tires on the machine. I do about 90% of riding on paved roads since we don't have many trails around here. I would even consider truck tires on the front if that would work.

Tire recommendations?
Kanati Mongrels or the knock off Tusk Terrabites. Search their reviews.

Reactions: tincangob
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Tire recommendations?
Front end is out of alignment and why did you buy a trail buggy to ride on pavement?

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Front end is out of alignment and why did you buy a trail buggy to ride on pavement?
Frankly I didn't realize how few and far between the trails are in southern Wisconsin. Further north they have a lot of trails, but we must drive 2 or 3 hours minimum to get at them. If I had another chance, I'd most likely get a different machine. But I gotta dance with machine I bought. We have a vast variety of routes available here but very few trails.

I will check out the alignment.

• Sad
Reactions: CID
Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Frankly I didn't realize how few and far between the trails are in southern Wisconsin. Further north they have a lot of trails, but we must drive 2 or 3 hours minimum to get at them. If I had another chance, I'd most likely get a different machine. But I gotta dance with machine I bought. We have a vast variety of routes available here but very few trails.

I will check out the alignment.

I agree with Smitty on the alignment. Get me straightened up and they won’t wear nearly as bad. You also mentioned truck tires...if you’re riding mostly roads I would highly recommend them. I just put some LT mud tires on mine and it’s a night and day difference. I still ride mostly off-road, and they are capable there, but on pavement it’s almost like a car now. I’ve even seen some folks run all-terrains on theirs, which might serve your purposes better.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I agree with Smitty on the alignment. Get me straightened up and they won’t wear nearly as bad. You also mentioned truck tires...if you’re riding mostly roads I would highly recommend them. I just put some LT mud tires on mine and it’s a night and day difference. I still ride mostly off-road, and they are capable there, but on pavement it’s almost like a car now. I’ve even seen some folks run all-terrains on theirs, which might serve your purposes better.

What pressure you running and do you have bead locks?

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What pressure you running and do you have bead locks?

I’m currently at 15 PSI. I heard a lot of conflicting stuff about beadlocks vs non beadlocks with LT tires. I was pretty convinced to go with beadlocks until I found some non beadlocks I really liked on sale, so I thought I’d try them. I started out around 25 PSI, observed how they flexed for a while on some of the stuff I ride on, then lowered to 18 and observed for a while. Satisfied and confident, I lowered to 15. I’m still observing them at 15 for now, but plan to go lower. I haven’t seen any flexing that has concerned me so far. The ride below 18 is fairly smooth and getting smoother as I go down. At 25 you will break bones. Lol

Reactions: Russ989
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I’m currently at 15 PSI. I heard a lot of conflicting stuff about beadlocks vs non beadlocks with LT tires. I was pretty convinced to go with beadlocks until I found some non beadlocks I really liked on sale, so I thought I’d try them. I started out around 25 PSI, observed how they flexed for a while on some of the stuff I ride on, then lowered to 18 and observed for a while. Satisfied and confident, I lowered to 15. I’m still observing them at 15 for now, but plan to go lower. I haven’t seen any flexing that has concerned me so far. The ride below 18 is fairly smooth and getting smoother as I go down. At 25 you will break bones. Lol

I was at 14 for a while and it was still really harsh. Here's what I did. I let air out of the tire until I could start to see the tire flex at the ground. Then I checked pressure, 9 psi. That's where I have had them set ever since. Huge difference between 15 psi and 9 psi. Much smoother ride, and actually quite a bit more traction in the woods from the flex and larger contact patch.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!