P500 Tire/Wheel Recommendations

T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Looking to get some new tires and wheels for p5. I ride mostly in Southeast KY in rocky, rutted, muddy trails with pretty steep hills. I guess looking for all around tire. Hoping to gain a little ground clearance and width for stability. How much width would 5+2 give me? I’ve been looking at BH 2.0. I also looked at some 4+3 wheels. Just not sure what would be the best combination and still not to much on the p5. I appreciate all the help.

Reactions: 500oneer
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Been really pleased with my Kenda Bearclaw HTRs in 27x11x12 on all corners with 5-2 rims. Rides, handles great.... you’ll wanna put on fender extender/ mud flaps though. Not sure on 4-3 rims like the sound of those though never tried. My set up will just touch on compressed and near full lock (edge of tire to fender) not a big deal to me though. Love the HTRs. No matter what you get ensure they are radials.. way smoother, better all round traction I think. I stayed with 12” rims for more side wall flex for improved ride as compared to a 14” rim.
Cheers.

T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Thanks for the info. Several years ago I had Bearclaws on four-wheeler. But they wasn’t radials. They seemed to do well. I guess the extra width causes a lot of mud in you face. Where did you get fender extenders.

Reactions: Smitty335
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I'm riding in Whitley Co. I have HTR 27s on 12s, 4+3, no spacers. 53.5 inches wide. 9s on front, 11s on rear: equal front/rear width. No rubbing at all, excellent grip on all terrain, not too wide, darn near perfect.

However, as noted, this does throw some mud. Whether that's an issue for you I can't say. It was an annoyance for us so I installed the full set of Mudbusters. Front flaps, rear flaps, rear fender extensions. Certainly catches the mud now, but honestly I don't much care for the rear look. Per my tape measure, I'm at 56.5" fender to fender. Tire footprint still 53.5.

Had it in some mud holes today. The Mudbusters are great for protection; mission accomplished there. Just not wild about the 'tires tucked in' look. Call me vain. Yep, it's a trade off.

Haven't yet had it on any tight trails. Pretty sure I'm gonna be scraping the front flaps and rear fenders now. We shall see.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
@THeck, if you find yourself in the Corbin area, I'm more than happy to toss you my keys!

T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Thanks for the info. We come to Corbin occasionally. We live at Pineville.

Reactions: Smitty335
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the info. Several years ago I had Bearclaws on four-wheeler. But they wasn’t radials. They seemed to do well. I guess the extra width causes a lot of mud in you face. Where did you get fender extenders.
Made them from 3mm thick UHMW... think I have pix in my link. Made for the front only then hung a mud flap just in front of rear wheels. Works great, for the most park.... if in lots of muddy conditions at speed you end driving into mud flipped up by front wheels. 😂🤣

T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Ended up with 26 x 9 x 14 up front and 26 x 11 x 14 in rear. Just went with bighorns and system 3 wheels. Made it about 2” wider, a lot smoother and gave me more ground clearance. Thanks again for everyone’s input.
F8D6D047 CF2B 49DD 9DF4 A7D009C7B9BD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!