BOX1

P500 Tires- Rears bigger than fronts?

B

Bredwordz

Jul 31, 2018
NY
Ownership

1. 500
So I scoured this forum for a month or so and was very pleased with the wealth of knowledge on here. It led me to get 14” wheels and 28” mayhem’s all around. Not that I’m dissatisfied with my purchase but as I look at my machine now, has anyone put 1 or 2” larger tires on the rear? It just seems to sit low in the arse. After mounting, I cranked the suspension all the way up in the rear and it could use a little more imo (the pics are all the way down/stock).

Which leads me to another question: Does the P5 sit passenger heavy? In the garage it looks like it leans to that side. Is this due to the gas tank? I measured and it sits nearly an inch lower to that side.
2F89B8EC C804 4E34 A270 DD2E57EB82B5 418AA508 7248 4D53 8927 B5A39FE977CA 7E2A6381 435B 481F 9914 E4D8371FA893 F92BD2A9 099D 4842 8367 0D60EADB23FC

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
It's a 4x4, keep the same height on all 4 or you could damage stuff. If it was me and I thought it was leaning I would inspect the A-Arm pivot bolts and back them off some. I don't think these lean any when sitting without a person inside.

B

Bredwordz

Jul 31, 2018
NY
Ownership

1. 500
I was thinking the front and back were independent, but sounds like they need to turn equally together in 4WD.
@pFive Thanks for the tip, I'll check tonight.
@trigger Would you suggest a small lift kit in lieu of the shock adjustment to get the desired look? Say 1-2"?

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
In 2 wheel drive they are independent but in 4 wheel drive they are locked and have to be same diameter to prevent binding and damage of the drivetrain. I don't notice mine setting back low or canted and with 26" wheels doesn't need a lift in my opinion.

B

Bredwordz

Jul 31, 2018
NY
Ownership

1. 500
In 2 wheel drive they are independent but in 4 wheel drive they are locked and have to be same diameter to prevent binding and damage of the drivetrain. I don't notice mine setting back low or canted and with 26" wheels doesn't need a lift in my opinion.

Yours does appear to sit higher. Where are your shock settings? softest? highest? or somewhere in between?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'm carrying a boat load of weight on the back of mine but it doesn't sag too bad. I adjusted the stock preloads all the way up in the rear once, hit an unexpected dip in the trail and went for one hell of a ride. Are you sure it's not just optical illusion? Have you actually measured it front and back?

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
So I scoured this forum for a month or so and was very pleased with the wealth of knowledge on here. It led me to get 14” wheels and 28” mayhem’s all around. Not that I’m dissatisfied with my purchase but as I look at my machine now, has anyone put 1 or 2” larger tires on the rear? It just seems to sit low in the arse. After mounting, I cranked the suspension all the way up in the rear and it could use a little more imo (the pics are all the way down/stock).

Which leads me to another question: Does the P5 sit passenger heavy? In the garage it looks like it leans to that side. Is this due to the gas tank? I measured and it sits nearly an inch lower to that side.
View attachment 84757 View attachment 84758 View attachment 84759 View attachment 84760

What do you have the fronts (shocks) set at? And good idea to check to see if A arm pivot bolts are maybe too tight and binding. Might also be an optical illusion too, as the top of tire to fender distance is much more on the front, making the rear appear to squat. I’d measure front frame horns (inboard of front tires) each side to level ground and on rear too. Prior to measuring set the shocks same front to rear and take for a spin so it balances out first.
As noted above in 4x4 with different diameter tires (front to back), especially with larger rear ones the problem is the rear will “push” against the front drive train. So imagine going slight downhill with a tight corner at the bottom the machine will want to roll over more readily as the rear drive wheels are pushing (ground speed) faster then the fronts and may lever the rig over easier. You need to maintain same diameter tires at all corners, in fact I rotate my tires front to back on my P5.
j

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Yours does appear to sit higher. Where are your shock settings? softest? highest? or somewhere in between?
I will check the setting tomorrow, whatever it came from the factory set at.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I don't notice mine setting back low or canted and with 26" wheels doesn't need a lift in my opinion.

The early p500 sat higher, there was some kind of flap about it.

P500 - Non-compliance sticker

The later shocks sit lower but have adjustable preload on the springs.
I heard the highest setting is similar to the early p500 setting.
Also they replaced the shocks in Canada, we just got a sticker to cover the regulatory compliance sticker on the roll bar (or let the kids have it).

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Mine is a 2016 US model and has the adjustable preload, I believe the factory is setup is the middle setting but i will check tomorrow when i go for a ride.

B

Bredwordz

Jul 31, 2018
NY
Ownership

1. 500
What do you have the fronts (shocks) set at? And good idea to check to see if A arm pivot bolts are maybe too tight and binding. Might also be an optical illusion too, as the top of tire to fender distance is much more on the front, making the rear appear to squat. I’d measure front frame horns (inboard of front tires) each side to level ground and on rear too. Prior to measuring set the shocks same front to rear and take for a spin so it balances out first.
As noted above in 4x4 with different diameter tires (front to back), especially with larger rear ones the problem is the rear will “push” against the front drive train. So imagine going slight downhill with a tight corner at the bottom the machine will want to roll over more readily as the rear drive wheels are pushing (ground speed) faster then the fronts and may lever the rig over easier. You need to maintain same diameter tires at all corners, in fact I rotate my tires front to back on my P5.
j
It might just be an optical illusion due to the front fenders being so high. All of the shocks were at the lowest/softest setting. How do you know if the A arms are binding? I pushed up and down on the back and all seem to move free.

@trigger Is yours older? Mine is a '17. After riding with the suspension on softest and stiffest, it was noticeable. I ran all the same trails for a few hours on both settings and hit many large bumps at higher speeds but never felt like I was going to lose it on the stiffest setting.

As for the P5 being "tippy" with larger tires, I would definitely disagree. Through a couple deeply rutted trails and rocky creek crossings, it felt more stable with the 28's. In fact, I came way closer to rolling (like "O sh!t" close) in a creek with stockys than I did with the 28's going through the exact same spot over the exact same rocks. I did get the 0mm offset and believe that is +2 inches offset more than stock. I am sitting at 54".

Reactions: trigger
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!