P1000m5 Tires & Wheels.....one more time

Reno58

Reno58

Oct 21, 2017
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Getting wheels and tires for my P1000-5 and wanted advice on a few specific brands, sizes, etc.

Wanting to go same size wheels all four corners - 14x7 5.0/2.0
Wanting to go same size tires all four corners - 28x10-14

Wheels: STI - either HD3 (black) or HD5 Beadlock (black)
Tires: Tusk Terrabites
Sedona Rockabilly
GBC Kamari Mongerl

I drive mostly on hard pack county roads with a fair amount of pavement. No serious mudding, but occasional creek crossings. Mostly easy riding to enjoy outdoors/countryside and critters.

My biggest concern is will any of these tire/wheel combinations result in rubbing or fitment issues. I want good tire life too.

My P1000-5 is stock suspension wise.

Your input is appreciated.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You should have no problems running any of those tires as they generally run smaller than branded. I have the hd3s in 5+2 amd really like them. The mongrels or terrabites will probably give you the longest life on hard pack.

Reactions: Reno58 and Delton
Reno58

Reno58

Oct 21, 2017
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
GlockMeister, thanks for input. I'm also considering the General Grabber AT2. Reading posts from members of this forum I understand the GGs are capable of high mileage.

Reactions: GlockMeister
J

JTW

If I were buying wheels and tires.. I’d buy 15’s and run an all terain truck tire! Haven’t seen a lot of difference between traction if you get a good aggressive tread pattern and you should get much better life. I stuck with stock wheels and 14x10’s on all 4 with terrabites. I’m not disappointed but I can’t say that it’s what I’d do over.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is my experience with 15" wheels - if you are going to run them I would go bigger than 28" tires or be prepared to run more pressure in your tires. I am currently running 15" wheels and 28" tires - I have had a few pinch flats that have caused issues. I typically run 12lb of air and that has not been enough on the front for a couple of rocks :eek:. I think there is not enough sidewall to help absorb the impacts. now the Honda rides stiffer on this combo than on the bighorns but I also think any thing will be stiffer than the bighorns.

Reactions: joeymt33 and Reno58
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I put 29" tires on mine that measure a little over 28. Only rubbing I had was on my aftermarket skid plate. I trimmed that and no more rubbing. The Tusk Terrabites are supposed to be good.

Reactions: Reno58
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I were buying wheels and tires.. I’d buy 15’s and run an all terain truck tire! Haven’t seen a lot of difference between traction if you get a good aggressive tread pattern and you should get much better life. I stuck with stock wheels and 14x10’s on all 4 with terrabites. I’m not disappointed but I can’t say that it’s what I’d do over.
What truck tire would you look at?

Reno58

Reno58

Oct 21, 2017
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
JTW - I've been looking at 15" rims - not really that much more price wise but my concern is possible limited selection of light truck tires (all terrain) in that size (comparable circumference and width) plus seems to me could increase chances of tire rub.

Ragnar406 - Good point on possible pinch flats. Again, with "taller" tire could come with tire rub. Plus LT tires require higher tire pressure which would equate to harsher ride.

Still leaning toward STI HD 3 or 5 in 14" and Terrabites or Mongrels in 28s. My existing tires have a little more life so I'm gonna slow this process down a little in order not to make an expense mistake.

Again thanks for input and observations! You guys are great!

FzyMtnMan

FzyMtnMan

Lifetime Member
Jan 9, 2018
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm preparing to buy 14x7 5.0/2.0 wheels and 28x10-14 tires all around....does this make the rear width profile more narrow? Stock wheels are 9 on the front and 11 on the rear. Is a set of spacers for the rear necessary in order to get the tire profile of the front and rear to be equal. The ride hasn't arrived yet so I can't do a hands on measurement of the stock wheels, just doing some homework before I order.

advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm preparing to buy 14x7 5.0/2.0 wheels and 28x10-14 tires all around....does this make the rear width profile more narrow? Stock wheels are 9 on the front and 11 on the rear. Is a set of spacers for the rear necessary in order to get the tire profile of the front and rear to be equal. The ride hasn't arrived yet so I can't do a hands on measurement of the stock wheels, just doing some homework before I order.

1” spacers are needed on rear if you use same offset on all 4 to have same width front and rear. Torque and thread lock the spacers to the hub.

FzyMtnMan

FzyMtnMan

Lifetime Member
Jan 9, 2018
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1” spacers are needed on rear if you use same offset on all 4 to have same width front and rear. Torque and thread lock the spacers to the hub.

Thanks much!
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FzyMtnMan

FzyMtnMan

Lifetime Member
Jan 9, 2018
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let me take this a bit further.....

What are the advantages/disadvantages of running same size wheel/tire on this rig? (my reason is for changeability when away from any assistance) Width equals stability, that's understandable. I'm wondering why Honda created this stock offset, traction? looks? weight carrying capacity?

Does a spacer create any negative issues?

I'm accustomed to horseshoes, saddles and panniers, just want to make sure I can get back from where I'm going with this mechanized critter.

Cheers

J

JTW

Same size wheel and tire=

Pros- rotatable, one spare for all 4

Cons- cost, slight loss of load rating with narrower rear tire

One inch spacer wont make a lot of difference other than giving you the same track. Down fall is you have one more thing on there. If you’re going to buy wheels.. buy 15’s so you can open up your tire options to the light truck tires!! I’m running 10x28’s on the stock deluxe wheels.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let me take this a bit further.....

What are the advantages/disadvantages of running same size wheel/tire on this rig? (my reason is for changeability when away from any assistance) Width equals stability, that's understandable. I'm wondering why Honda created this stock offset, traction? looks? weight carrying capacity?

Does a spacer create any negative issues?

I'm accustomed to horseshoes, saddles and panniers, just want to make sure I can get back from where I'm going with this mechanized critter.

Cheers

There’s a long discussion about it elsewhere that (didn’t really get anywhere) has been beaten resuscitated beaten brought back to life and finally killed off so I’m not posting a link.

Basically to summarize it: If you’re using it to even the offset on the rear for aftermarket wheels with similar offsets to factory and it ends up similar to factory there’s no downside of extra wear/forces on suspension or changed tippyness.

Downside is the spacer lugnuts are hidden behind the wheel and can possibly come lose without anyway of checking other than removing the wheel.

I may sooner or later put them on the rear to even it back out. Maybe not, you don’t HAVE to.

wider spacers and you open a discussion that is going to vary greatly depending on everything you have added or subtracted or modified on the machine. Along with its weight and where you added/subtracted it height and location wise.

Reactions: JTW
FzyMtnMan

FzyMtnMan

Lifetime Member
Jan 9, 2018
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys! In all my fishing around I must have overlooked a thread. Cheers

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys! In all my fishing around I must have overlooked a thread. Cheers

I remember the thread being mentioned. You are not missing much. I will find it and tag you in it. But be warned, we went off topic for sure.

Reactions: FzyMtnMan

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!