Title or Mso for Honda Pioneer ?

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have found a Honda Pioneer but it is out of state and owner claims to be the only owner and has it financed buy a credit union

he claims that it does not have a title but a MSO

my first question is when bought from a dealer does A Honda pioneer always come with a title ?
Even though the state does not allow them to be liscensed ?

next question is how do I get it in my name even though it has a lien against it by the credit union that made the loan to him.

The state of Arkansas I live in also does not allow liscense an abt or utv

and to further complicate things I am going to offer him less than he owes on it.
it is a 2021 model which according to him he is only selling because he wants to buy s boat.

2021 pioneer 700 base with less than 50 hours on it. Amd only owned for about 3 months (I suppose that the warranty still left on it would be about 8 or 9 months) how would I get the warranty transferred to me ?
Thamks

Reactions: Biteme and ChadD
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Credit Union would have the title . He would have to pay it off before receiving the title from credit Union. Then he would have to sign the title and give it to you during payment. Then you would take the title to a driver's license place and put it in your name At your cost. Then you have proof of ownership and Honda would transfer the warranty over automatic . There's a number on the warranty book to call Honda to transfer over Warranty once you have proof of ownership. There is other ways of doing it but this would be the safest and easiest he has to pay off the vehicle to get the title.
Be careful when you're buying UTV from other people.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The Manufacturers Statement or Origin (MSO) is issued by Honda or any manufacturer with every new unit sold. The owner, dealer, or lender normally collects sales tax and registration fees and sends the MSO and funds in to the state DMV to receive a certificate of title (title).

Some buy a new Talon or Pioneer from an out of state dealer who does not collect sales tax but delivers the MSO to the buyer. The buyer can take the new unit home to his/her home state and never pay sales tax or title the machine. If the machine is not going to be registered for highway use the owner may simply keep the MSO in a file. Depending on his state of residency failure to pay sales tax may be illegal. Oregon does not collect a sales tax on motor vehicles. There may be others.

Either the MSO or certificate of title are sufficient proof of ownership.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have found a Honda Pioneer but it is out of state and owner claims to be the only owner and has it financed buy a credit union

he claims that it does not have a title but a MSO

my first question is when bought from a dealer does A Honda pioneer always come with a title ?
Even though the state does not allow them to be liscensed ?

next question is how do I get it in my name even though it has a lien against it by the credit union that made the loan to him.

The state of Arkansas I live in also does not allow liscense an abt or utv

and to further complicate things I am going to offer him less than he owes on it.
it is a 2021 model which according to him he is only selling because he wants to buy s boat.

2021 pioneer 700 base with less than 50 hours on it. Amd only owned for about 3 months (I suppose that the warranty still left on it would be about 8 or 9 months) how would I get the warranty transferred to me ?
Thamks
Some states use COT and some use MSO. I have several SXS’s purchased in different states and I have both documentation’s depending….

Bmurray

Bmurray

Lifetime Member
May 6, 2021
Missouri but soon to be Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X
Here in MO we don’t title above 50” machines or pay sales tax. However 50” does as it falls in the ATV class (stupid). If you’re buying it outright, you don’t necessarily need a title if you have the mso.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just bought a used pioneer 1000. Does anyone know if I have to pay sales tax in South Carolina when I get the title transferred to my name? The title looks like a regular car title. My 700 just had a MSO.

Reactions: Biteme
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In AR if you own a farm, no, if you don't, yes.
I've heard the same in SC. I went on the dmv website but couldn't find anything about a sxs.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I just bought a used pioneer 1000. Does anyone know if I have to pay sales tax in South Carolina when I get the title transferred to my name? The title looks like a regular car title. My 700 just had a MSO.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea I read that already. To me their definition of ATV does not include a SXS.

"All-terrain vehicles (ATVs) are designed primarily for off-road travel and are no more than 50 inches wide."

Reactions: Montecresto
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Good luck explaining that distinction to a clerk at your local DMV office.

Please let us know how you make out with that.

Reactions: WagginTail
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good luck explaining that distinction to a clerk at your local DMV office.

Please let us know how you make out with that.
Will do. Thanks

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
States differ in how they handle title/registration/ORV permits. To be safe I would contact the DMV of the state that the UTV is currently in and see if they have registration, title, or just bill of sell and MSO. Then contact your state DMV and see what is required in your state. In Missouri I had to title my P500 in order to get an ATV permit to ride on state or federal land. I bought my P500 from a guy in Illinois were they too have titles, however the guy had to pay it off his loan in order to get the title to sign over to me. The last thing you want is an UTV that you can't ride in other states or sell legally. Many states require you to purchase a permit to ride and want proof of ownership before issuing the permit.

Reactions: WagginTail

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!