Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Instead of doing what I'm supposed to be doing I keep thinking about this thread.

I have needed to pulled my tools out twice in recent history.

1st time, riding RRB before @JACKAL became the resident expert, I think he was the first person ever to bend a tie rod on a p1k.
We where on the back side of the mountain (trail #26 where it separates from the road that drops down to the church) and didn't see a way to limp his crippled p1k back to camp.
Went back to camp and in the dry comfort of my enclosed trailer I pulled a tie rod off and handed to @JACKAL so @Hondasxs could take him back over the mountain to replace the tie rod.

It turns out the road that drops down to the church was half frozen, so @JACKAL drove with the bent side on the ice to the church parking lot then took his truck and trailer around to get it. I'm sure his p1k looked like a homeless vampire with a lazy eye coming down the hill.

View attachment 90277

The other time I broke the tools out was at Bull Run.
@DGann had a steering rack come apart.
Probably not his fault as he purchased the unit 2nd hand - gotta be careful, you never know what the rascal selling has done with the unit.
@joeymt33 did the heavy lifting to remove the broken rack and replace it.
I went back to the trailer, doped the rack out of my unit and handed it to @Delton who drove it back in to the bush to be bolted in to the stricken P700.

View attachment 90280

@jwfirebird maybe you are right, P500 owners don't need to worry so much about caring tools.
That's not a bad record when you reference 3yrs. ago as recent history on my tie rod.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
kinda cool, started on rovers, you normally start on jeeps around here, which is what i had before my first wheeler.

your stories are all the reason why you dont ride alone ad join a club. the club here has a few dozen people within atv driving distance, so even if you go out and have a mechanical problem and need help, turns a real bad day to minor issues being able to get it back to the garage, or even if its crappy out and you need a ride back for tools or parts very beneficial. club has about 120 now after 10 years, there is always someone that want to ride

dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
Lee, appreciate your tool posting, just what I was looking for. I'll be hunting, by myself in a remote area and as mush as I believe in Honda reliability I also know the value of having tools.

Reactions: trigger
C

Christepher

Oct 10, 2018
PE Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
And.. unless you're snorkeled.. oil and filter is a nice thing to have as well. (found out the hard way)

Reactions: dtng
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
oil for sure, my son slow motion rolled mine on the drivers side and the crank case vent emptied all the oil into my air intake. Once i got all the oil out of it i didn't have any with me to fill back up and drive out. 1.5 mile walk to get oil.

Reactions: dtng and Mudwing