100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sure everyone carries recovery gear but what extra tools do you bring on the trail with you? Spanners sprockets and wrenches, what do you carry beyond your winches? Do you bring air compressors or cans of fix a flat? Hi-Lift, Scissor or Bottle Jacks. Without overloading your ride, what do you think the most important tools to have are out on the open trails and what do you store it all in?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I consider GPS a tool. Mounted bottle jack, pressure gauge, tire plug kit, bottle of slime, air compressor, lithium ion jump starter, rain gear, bug spray, ball hat and gloves, flashlight, multi purpose tool kit and small first aid kit. A few zip ties. Other than recovery stuff, I think that's it.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I consider GPS a tool. Mounted bottle jack, pressure gauge, tire plug kit, bottle of slime, air compressor, lithium ion jump starter, rain gear, bug spray, ball hat and gloves, flashlight, multi purpose tool kit and small first aid kit. A few zip ties. Other than recovery stuff, I think that's it.
Is there any benefit to Slime over fix a flat, and do you not use Quad Boss? I have a Delorme InReach GPS I'll be using. I didn't think of rain gear. Makes sense to get some rain pants maybe..Jump starter is a great idea!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Is there any benefit to Slime over fix a flat, and do you not use Quad Boss? I have a Delorme InReach GPS I'll be using. I didn't think of rain gear. Makes sense to get some rain pants maybe..Jump starter is a great idea!

I wouldn't think so, just want something to plug the hole if I can't find it. I use a Bestek jumpstarter, Amazon like $60. NOCO makes a nice one too. My first trip out I forgot bug spray and it sucked!

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do any of you guys use some type of MaxxTrax? Those are the orange things in the back seat. they can be used for traction in sand mud or snow. I've used them in different scenarios involving my truck and tractor. Could be used a bridging device too.

IMG 0161

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I recovered a quad off my brother last weekend. It is important to carry a little come-along. A winch doesn't work pulling something sideways, or when the rig is upside down or threatening to tumble further down the hill... been there, done that.
Multi - Three broken ribs

PS: good list Trig
Al
20170430 123429 HDR

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I recovered a quad off my brother last weekend. It is important to carry a little come-along. A winch doesn't work pulling something sideways, or when the rig is upside down or threatening to tumble further down the hill... been there, done that.
Al
View attachment 43261

Good idea! I have one in a case too that will probably fit in the toolbox...gonna check that out.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Al
View attachment 43261
A come along for side pulling is also a great idea especially since I see myself traveling alone. Any recomendations for weight limit on one?

Reactions: cowboyjeff
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
A come along for side pulling is also a great idea especially since I see myself traveling alone. Any recomendations for weight limit on one?
Yes! I got mine for self-rescue. Get a small one. It'll rattle around in your tool box and take up space 99.5% of the time. A big one will just piss you off and you'll leave it at home. If you have a hard pull then just use a pulley / snatch block.
PS I carry a SPOT tracker around my neck when I go alone.
Al

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
I can tell you from previously being a tire guy, fix a flat makes a mess inside your tire that sucks bad when you take it off the wheel. It "fixes" the flat, but also leaves a bunch of liquid inside the tire, which creates an out of balance potential for higher speeds.. I know that speed and p500 don't go in the same sentence, just sayin. As far as I know the slime sticks everywhere inside as opposed to just a tiny spot..JMO

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can tell you from previously being a tire guy, fix a flat makes a mess inside your tire that sucks bad when you take it off the wheel. It "fixes" the flat, but also leaves a bunch of liquid inside the tire, which creates an out of balance potential for higher speeds.. I know that speed and p500 don't go in the same sentence, just sayin. As far as I know the slime sticks everywhere inside as opposed to just a tiny spot..JMO
Any knowledge of Quad Boss doing something similar?

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Any knowledge of Quad Boss doing something similar?
I've never seen the quad boss first hand, but i imagine it is the same as slime in that it coats the whole tire surface and stays that way vs the can of fix a flat. However if the fix a flat gets you back to the trailer, i guess the plus side is no need for a compressor too.. but i wouldnt leave fix a flat in a tire long term.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Don't know how long it takes to set up but I've put slime in trailer tires before, when adding air, green sh** oozing out of the valve. Couldn't imagine breaking that tire down at that stage, would certainly be a mess. Only plan to use it if I absolutely have too.

banjobart

banjobart

Dec 8, 2015
East Lansing, MI
Ownership

1. 500
I swear by the Dynaplug tire plugger. It only takes a minute and it has never failed myself or friends. You just push the plug in and pull the tool out. The plug stays in the hole. No reaming or glue. Plug the hole, spit on it and if it still bubbles add another plug. Twice I have used a row of four plugs to plug what looked like a stab from a knife. I have used the Dynaplug on my mower, wheelbarrow, pickup truck and motorcycles.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm looking to fill my tires with Quad Boss. At @Alan 's suggestion.

Reactions: cowboyjeff
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As far as a tire plug kit, I have the super awesome heavy duty kit by ARB. The plugs that come with the set are really thick. The tools are even better. Tough Stuff!
Tire repair

cowboyjeff

cowboyjeff

Nov 20, 2015
I have that same plus kit but made or sold by trail gear, it was about $12.00 5 or 6 Years ago.

Reactions: 100Acre
cowboyjeff

cowboyjeff

Nov 20, 2015
I carry a Snatch Block. a 30' foot 30,000 jeep tow strap, A very nice plug kit, a small Air compressor, and a half a dozen 99 cent disposable rain pants and jackets. Both my P-500's have 3500 pound winches on the fronts. I carry all this under the front hood, I have soda pop crates tied in under the hood, works great for anything that can get dusty or maybe even a little wet.

Reactions: CaboJim and 100Acre

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!