Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Do you run in 4wd when your on the dirt road smoothed ours right up! Not diff lock but just 4wd

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I did the same thing that's funny:)

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Haven't changed the spring rate but I have cranked the spring adjustment down a bit. Still playing with settings a whole year later!
Clarification: "Cranked the spring rate down"

Does that mean softer setting or stiffer?

I want to soften mine for a smoother ride since I'm not carrying anything.

Then again a yeti full of beer it's kinda heavy. My personal task is to lighten that cooler.

Reactions: Tflynn and joeymt33
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Both of us have the aftermarket fox shocks so that is what we were referring to. Compression is the nut on top of the spring it's how soft or hard the suspension goes up, like if you hit a bump. Rebound is how quickly your suspension returns to its resting spot after a bump and its controlled by a knob at the top of the shock. Compression usually is what your looking for to soften but they kind of go in tandem. Counter clockwise on either softens. Now if you have stock suspension and your talking the 700-4 it has adjustable compression rate rear only shocks with an adjuster on the top of the spring. And if I remember right it was about half way in between settings on mine so yes you should be able to turn the "nut" on top of the spring counter clockwise to soften, the longer the spring becomes the softer it becomes as well as the opposite if you crack it down it becomes stiff. Always jack up the vehicle and stabilize it with the wheels in the air for ease of adjustment. Also lower tire pressures help and disconnecting your rear sway bar may help as well however in my opinion it makes the vehicle a little more unstable at higher speeds but opinions vary and that is something you should play with because it's your machine and it should be setup for you and your driving style reguadless of anyone else's opinion.

Last edited:
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Clarification: "Cranked the spring rate down"

Does that mean softer setting or stiffer?

I want to soften mine for a smoother ride since I'm not carrying anything.

Then again a yeti full of beer it's kinda heavy. My personal task is to lighten that cooler.
Like @CumminsPusher said, the fox shocks have an adjustment nut on top of the spring to either compress or depress the spring. When I said "crank it down" I meant tighten the nut thereby compressing the spring. I did this for two reasons- number one, it gave me about a 1.5-2" lift and number two, it seems to handle big hits better.

If you have stock shocks and want a smoother ride turn your rear adjuster to the softest setting (depressing the spring) and try unhooking your sway bar.

Reactions: CumminsPusher

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!