P1000 Towing Question

O

Oegbert

Oct 14, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First time poster here. I have been a member for a while but haven't had anything to add to any discussions yet so I haven't said anything. I have had a 2018 P1k-5 for about 6 months now and really enjoy it. I bought it mainly for hunting but enjoy just riding around on our forest service roads here in Arizona. I have a question about towing them behind my truck How does everyone know where to position them on the trailer so that the weight is evenly distributed? I have tried getting what I feel is the center of the buggy just front of the trailer axle but I'm not sure it is correct. Thanks for any input.
20191205 163332

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First time poster here. I have been a member for a while but haven't had anything to add to any discussions yet so I haven't said anything. I have had a 2018 P1k-5 for about 6 months now and really enjoy it. I bought it mainly for hunting but enjoy just riding around on our forest service roads here in Arizona. I have a question about towing them behind my truck How does everyone know where to position them on the trailer so that the weight is evenly distributed? I have tried getting what I feel is the center of the buggy just front of the trailer axle but I'm not sure it is correct. Thanks for any input.
View attachment 169593
I normally try to put the engine/trans over the trailer axle since that’s the heaviest part of the rig. Depending on your trailer you might have to pull forward until you start to see the rear suspension of you truck start to load up and then stop.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
@JTW .... Lol

What @Russ989 said. I pull mine around with my Tacoma with a tandem 2500lb axle trailer. I pull it up until I see the rear start to squat.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are loading on a single axle trailer, you can very easily tell when the weight shifts from rear of trailer to front of trailer. After front of trailer drops down onto truck hitch, pull forward another foot at least to add the necessary weight to truck. If you have a REAL truck, pull as forward as you want to ...... lol.

O

Oegbert

Oct 14, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the replies. I have a GMC Canyon with the Duramax diesel engine. It tows great. I can cruise uphill at 70mph with no problem.

Reactions: BigOL3 and Russ989
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

As long as your tow vehicle can handle it, the more tongue weight the better

not entirely accurate, even with a Polaris the video however is a great example of why you need tongue weight, you don’t want to put too much weight on the BUMPER hitch of a truck or your front brakes can become less effective. A gooseneck hitch can be loaded basically to payload capacity of the tow vehicle because it puts the weight SLIGHTLY forward if the rear axle instead of several feet behind it. The leverage at the bumper will lower the front weight bias(take weight off the front contact patches of the truck) potentially causing issues controlling your vehicle and load.

Physics is a cold hearted b****.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
they say 10% of trailer weight and cargo on the trailer ball.

R

rickoshea

can't say enough about airbags.i never have issues hauling around all the crap i have to haul around.

Reactions: hoghead76
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
not entirely accurate, even with a Polaris the video however is a great example of why you need tongue weight, you don’t want to put too much weight on the BUMPER hitch of a truck or your front brakes can become less effective. A gooseneck hitch can be loaded basically to payload capacity of the tow vehicle because it puts the weight SLIGHTLY forward if the rear axle instead of several feet behind it. The leverage at the bumper will lower the front weight bias(take weight off the front contact patches of the truck) potentially causing issues controlling your vehicle and load.

Physics is a cold hearted b****.

That’s why I said as long as you tow vehicle can handle it the more the better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TripleB
G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the same trailer,what everybody has said.I want to know what kinda fuel mileage u get w that duramax towing ur pioneer,thanx in advance
Some folks don't know enough to be able to read between the lines, I was filling in.

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I measured right at 250lbs tongue weight then added these Erickson wheel chocks so it's the same everytime. Pulls great.

Tiedown

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the same trailer,what everybody has said.I want to know what kinda fuel mileage u get w that duramax towing ur pioneer,thanx in advance

No definitely no duramax here, I’m not sure who you meant to reply to.

Reactions: farmtimpioneer
farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have been pulling trailers of all kinds and weights for many years and the best thing that I have found for a bumper pull trailer is load leveling Boomer Bars it transfers some of the bumper weight to the front of the truck, it will keep Your truck and trailer from bucking as bad on the bumps also, I will not pull a trailer without them especially a trailer with any amount of weight involved

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Opps the guy that started this thread ,the canyon w the duramax
Oegbert

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!