Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ok Tractor heads, I was going to use my sub-soiler a few weeks ago to lossen up the soil to bury my pup. Went to use it and bent/broke my top link. What did I do wrong?

• Sad
Reactions: ChadD and Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Ok Tractor heads, I was going to use my sub-soiler a few weeks ago to lossen up the soil to bury my pup. Went to use it and bent/broke my top link. What did I do wrong?
See a few posts about that on Tractor.net. It happens, mine is bent some from backing up/pushing with a bush hog. Sorry but not much help with advice Smitty. Some said they found replacements at Tractor supply.

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Finally fixed my Kubota B7800 crank but no start, no fuel flow issue. Replaced fuel stop solenoid and relay.
IMG 3258IMG 2877IMG 3257

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe had your top link not adjusted to the proper length? Long time ago I was using a pulverizer and had the top link too short. It caused the pulverizer to flip up and the top link flipped down where it was completely vertical and was actually touching the pto shaft.

Also, are you using the correct size top link for your tractor?

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds like you need a heavier top link. But, you may break something else, like where it attaches to the tractor. Pick your poison.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
To note, I had a 7' box drag. I used it on a sub compact 35 horse tractor and it worked great for years. Hooked it to my 100 hp tractor one day. That was a mistake. My driveway it rock midway and when I hit the rock, the box drag frame bent up at a 45 degree angle. Never did fix it. It's in the weeds hiding from the big tractor. Guess what I'm saying is, if you hit something stout enough, somethings going to give somewhere. The weakest link.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's what I'm afraid of.View attachment 395159
Yeah that’s the elcheapo top link not surprised you bent it .

A subsoiler can pull dam hard especially if you have hard ground or rocks or other debris underneath the surface.

My advice would be to slow down and not run so deep on the first pass.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Saw this video yesterday how that skid steer attachment goes through brush. Impressive.https://youtu.be/ASSHKVdrUTA
I looked at one similar to the video….to me it looked like those are made in China and the metal thickness is on the skimpy side.

I bought a smaller one from Spartan equipment for my smaller Gehl 35hp skid steer. It’s stout as f and will cut 2” diameter willows like butter.

It’s really pushing the limits of my older skid steer, been having to clean up and tighten things from years of abuse from the previous owner, but the cutter is simply awesome.

My skidsteer brake lockout fried so I’m waiting for parts, but this is what it looks like and some of the work I’ve done with it. It was all overgrown 6’ tall or so of all kinds of junk.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thought you said you bent it. You killed it. Winner of the day.
Bought a new heavy duty one at TS Saturday, it's not a class II like my three point connections. I like a weak link. The ground is very dry dry. I can drop a hole and push against the axel housing, but if I break that. High dollar repairs! The ground is very dry and hard.

Reactions: Mudder and Vikes79
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Bought a new heavy duty one at TS Saturday, it's not a class II like my three point connections. I like a weak link. The ground is very dry dry. I can drop a hole and push against the axel housing, but if I break that. High dollar repairs! The ground is very dry and hard.
You need some buddy help. Enough buddies and beer and they can soften the ground in front of you as you trench.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yeah that’s the elcheapo top link not surprised you bent it .

A subsoiler can pull dam hard especially if you have hard ground or rocks or other debris underneath the surface.

My advice would be to slow down and not run so deep on the first pass.
I hadn't even stuck it in the ground but about 6 inches and traveled maybe 2 foot.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!