P1000 Trail Armor Skids

L

LJSXS

Nov 27, 2019
Springdale Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Today the weather was nice so I proceeded in installing the new Trail Armor Skids on today. Everything went good except I changed 1 thing. The instructions ask to use factory bolts in spots where the old bolts were with old skids. The issue with this is the TA skids are 1/2” thick so I found the factory bolts to be too short for my liking. I went to the local Tractor Supply and bought 25 bolts 1/2” longer than the factory bolts. Cost me $2.08. Everything started much easier and more importantly put more bolt threads into factory holes. All in all very happy with these skids.

3F534E3D 543B 4387 A9CB 45B558BA51B9 0634D0CB 87B6 4CFD 8386 7805B5688F98

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Today the weather was nice so I proceeded in installing the new Trail Armor Skids on today. Everything went good except I changed 1 thing. The instructions ask to use factory bolts in spots where the old bolts were with old skids. The issue with this is the TA skids are 1/2” thick so I found the factory bolts to be too short for my liking. I went to the local Tractor Supply and bought 25 bolts 1/2” longer than the factory bolts. Cost me $2.08. Everything started much easier and more importantly put more bolt threads into factory holes. All in all very happy with these skids.

View attachment 181681 View attachment 181682

Very nice!

Reactions: nitzo and LJSXS
nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice........I'll be doing the same here shortly. Besides the longer bolts any other advice? What are the a-arm guards you have? They look nice.

Reactions: LJSXS
H

HondaTech

Nice........I'll be doing the same here shortly. Besides the longer bolts any other advice? What are the a-arm guards you have? They look nice.

I've never done these skid but I've installed a couple Factory UTV skids. We usually toss the self tapping screws (if there are any for Trail Armor) and uses a nut cert instead.

L

LJSXS

Nov 27, 2019
Springdale Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’ve gone back in my purchasing history and can’t find or remember where I bought the A-Arm covers at. What I will say is that I’m not happy with them in the front currently because I had to remove the factory brake caliper cover. I would have bought something different if I had known they would come that close to the calipers. My plan is to trim off enough of the new A-arm cover that I can reinstall my caliper covers. Now regarding the skids I did use the self tapping screws that came with the kit. Everything seems good and strong. I don’t ever plan on getting into a situation where I beat the hell out of the bottom of my skids/machine, but I’ve said that before too and had a rock puncture through factory skids.

Reactions: nitzo
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’ve gone back in my purchasing history and can’t find where I bought them. What I will say is that I’m not happy with them currently because I had to remove the factory brake caliper cover. I would have bought something different if I had known they would come that close to the calipers. My plan is to trim off enough of the new A-arm cover that I can reinstall my caliper covers. I did use the self tapping screws that came with the kit. Everything seems good and strong. I don’t ever plan on getting into a situation where I beat the hell out of the bottom of my skids/machine, but I’ve said that before too and had a rock puncture through factory skids.
I don't run A arm skids, don't like them. Sold the ones I had. But run 30 inch tires and SATV A arms.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'll be pulling the trigger on either Trail Armor or FactoryUTV skids/sliders for my Talon X soon. I think I prefer the FactoryUTV slider design over the Trail Armor, but it is substantially more expensive ($200+). My biggest issue is going to be finding a way to either, 1) hoist the machine into a vertical position, or 2) roll it gently onto its side, as I have no intention of trying to install by creeping under it on jackstands. Thought about hooking the winch to a limb on a tree in the yard and just lifting it that way. Thoughts?

Steve

Reactions: LJSXS
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I'll be pulling the trigger on either Trail Armor or FactoryUTV skids/sliders for my Talon X soon. I think I prefer the FactoryUTV slider design over the Trail Armor, but it is substantially more expensive ($200+). My biggest issue is going to be finding a way to either, 1) hoist the machine into a vertical position, or 2) roll it gently onto its side, as I have no intention of trying to install by creeping under it on jackstands. Thought about hooking the winch to a limb on a tree in the yard and just lifting it that way. Thoughts?

Steve
Winching up a tree works. Just be sure to secure it with some chains/strap so it's not just dangling from the winch. I had chocks behind the rear tires as well.
IMG 20190831 104930

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!