P500 Trailering with rear panel ?

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have the short OEM wind deflect on the front of my sxs with a roof,I just added the rear OEM back panel .Is it safe to tow this on a trailer at interstate speeds or am I going to have issues with something? Should I take the back panel off for towing?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have the short OEM wind deflect on the front of my sxs with a roof,I just added the rear OEM back panel .Is it safe to tow this on a trailer at interstate speeds or am I going to have issues with something? Should I take the back panel off for towing?
Not sure whether this is specific enough to your situation or not, but, I've been trailering mine long distance (600 miles) and I can tell you that the windshield should be removed. The roof does fine, and I don't have a rear panel. If you're trailering yours with the back against the wind, I would say maybe it's ok with it on, but if it's catching the wind, a solid no. IMO

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
I would say if it was a full front windshield, you would be fine but depending on which way (frontwards or backwards) you are trailering would determine that with a deflector...if frontwards, think of your rear window as a parachute..not good. I hauled from PA to KY with both on (full windshield and rear fabric window) and no issues...

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Roll it up...tie off on rollback
Takes 5 min. ....
I leave my windshield on...

Reactions: iowaguy
sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
I bought a plastic windshield for a Polaris Razor off ebay 2+ years ago and I would have made a terrible windshield, but it made a good rear panel. They were $30 when I bought mine, they've gone up a little to $51. Tough, like I said mines been on over 2 years, trailered it to Colorado and back 4 times, 1000 miles each way, at freeway speeds and it hasn't got a tear in it. I'm tempted to go ahead and buy an extra just in case they stop selling them.

FRONT WINDSHIELD for 2012 POLARIS RZR & RZR4 570 800 900 XP LE Razor RZRS 4 S

Last edited:
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I bought a plastic windshield for a Polaris Razor off ebay 2+ years ago and I would have made a terrible windshield, but it made a good rear panel. They were $30 when I bought mine, they've gone up a little to $51. Tough, like I said mines been on over 2 years, trailered it to Colorado and back 4 times, 1000 miles each way, at freeway speeds and it hasn't got a tear in it. I'm tempted to go ahead and buy an extra just in case they stop selling them.

FRONT WINDSHIELD for 2012 POLARIS RZR & RZR4 570 800 900 XP LE Razor RZRS 4 S
Do you tow with a windshield on ?

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
i remove mine every time. you can see it bowing at 75+MPH

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
i remove mine every time. you can see it bowing at 75+MPH
Thanks for all the response on this ! I think I will play it safe and take it off for towing.

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
I have the Honda tip out full windshield and Honda roof on my 500, along with the plastic rear panel. Like I said I've towed it 1000"s of miles. One of my best friends has a cabin in south central Colorado and it's just a little over 1000 miles out there. We pulled it once with my 1/2 ton Ford on my 14 ft trailer. Once we hauled it in the back of his 3/4 ton diesel Chevy and twice we pulled it on his trailer with his truck. The CO trip is 2/3 f interstates and all but the last 100 miles is flat straight 2 lane roads. We've tried it with windshield and back panel out and with them in. I've checked the mileage several times and I actually get a little better mileage with the windshield and back panel in than I do with them out. With my 1/2 Ford, 5.0 motor, it was 1 mile per gallon better on flat ground, freeway driving. 14mpg vs 13mpg. I've checked this several times and it's always come out the same. I've never checked it in the back of the truck with the windshield out, as the only time I've had it there was the one trip and we had the cab of the 500 packed with stuff we didn't want to get wet. It's 75 miles from my house to our deer camp, two lane roads all the way and hilly, I make this trip at least every 2 weeks, always with the 500 in tow. I've checked the mileage here too and there's no difference in the mileage. This trip is slower, with the transmission in trailer haul, with lots of hills and curves, so the speed is a lot slower. I've stopped checking now, the windshields stay in for me. One thing, I've never towed or hauled the 500 backwards. That straight up back panel might make more of a difference than the sloped windshield facing the wind, I don't know about that. I've owned my 500 since July of 2014, we've made lots of trips together. Anyway, good hauling, hope this helps.

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If a person isn't trailering too often or too far, it's probably not an issue. I have left mine on, but I won't be any longer. I transport it between my properties in Arkansas, Oklahoma and New Mexico regularly and I'm seeing some minor wear from the effects of the constant wind working it. It only takes ten minutes (less) to remove it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!