Transporting Your New Honda Pioneer

R

rzrmudder

Apr 6, 2013
We all know the feeling, the dealer just handed you the keys to your new Side by Side. You are super excited to get it home and take it for the first ride, so you load it on the trailer in a hurry, slap a few straps on it and head home. This mistake could leave a novice rider in a very tough situation if it was to come loose. To help prevent a costly mistake I have put together a basic “How To” for securing your new Pioneer for the journey home.

When preparing to load it onto the trailer be sure to take the following steps:
Step 1 – Before driving onto the trailer put the SxS in 4-wheel drive, differential lock. Do this by moving the 4wd shifter to the 4-wheel lock position and moving the unit forward aprox. 3 feet or so until the locked light comes on. This will insure all 4 wheels are locked down equally.

Step 2 – Drive it on the trailer to the spot you wish to secure it. Then engage the park brake by pulling the leaver down until tight. Dont put a superman grip on it, just one decent pull will be ok.

Step 3 – Secure the SxS with 4 tie-down straps. Review the images below indicating where to hook the tie-downs. Pull the straps very tight. We assume you know how to use tie-down straps. Do not use rope or other items as replacements for straps.

Step 4 – Rock the SxS to insure it is tight and secure. Insure the SxS is turned off, collect the key, check all doors, rear bed and tail gate to insure they are locked in place. Recheck the straps a final time.

Now you will feel safe and insure your new SxS makes it home save and sound.

Sxs tie down

atvsnowman

atvsnowman

Mar 28, 2013
Wouldn't want to just slap a strap on and have it roll off the trailer on the way home.. That would make me sick. Nice to know ahead of time where to strap it. My straps going to be seeing lots of use.

Reactions: Swampcollie
greenatv

greenatv

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep, nice to know this. I wold not of put it in 4wd diff lock if I did not read this. I see how it would help keep it in place.

Reactions: S L SPENCER
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
This is something I see all the time. Even seem them come off the back of trailers because "smart" individuals think a strap over the seat will hold it on. You should always insure your SxS or ATV is strapped down. It is also a good idea to check it about a mile or so down the road to insure they are still tight. I would be sick for weeks if my new SxS came off the trailer.

M

motorman587

Sep 12, 2013
Do you leave it in drive also?? Or do you put it in netural???

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I left mine in drive.
Honda does state what gear position to leave it in.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
We all know the feeling, the dealer just handed you the keys to your new Side by Side. You are super excited to get it home and take it for the first ride, so you load it on the trailer in a hurry, slap a few straps on it and head home. This mistake could leave a novice rider in a very tough situation if it was to come loose. To help prevent a costly mistake I have put together a basic “How To” for securing your new Pioneer for the journey home.

Step 1 – Before driving onto the trailer put the SxS in 4-wheel drive, differential lock. Do this by moving the 4wd shifter to the 4-wheel lock position and moving the unit forward aprox. 3 feet or so until the locked light comes on. This will insure all 4 wheels are locked down equally.

Step 2 – Drive it on the trailer to the spot you wish to secure it. Then engage the park brake by pulling the leaver down until tight. Dont put a superman grip on it, just one decent pull will be ok.

Step 3 – Secure the SxS with 4 tie-down straps. Review the images below indicating where to hook the tie-downs. Pull the straps very tight. We assume you know how to use tie-down straps. Do not use rope or other items as replacements for straps.

Step 4 – Rock the SxS to insure it is tight and secure. Insure the SxS is turned off, collect the key, check all doors, rear bed and tail gate to insure they are locked in place. Recheck the straps a final time.

Another very important factor is always use tie downs with closed hooks, vie of spring loaded catch. When you haul a S X S and tie off on numbers the body roll will put slack the opsite side tie down

M

mjlehner

Apr 30, 2017
Cedar Rapids, IA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Thanks.

Reactions: Smitty335
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I tie off at 4 separate points, with 4 straps. I leave mine in turf mode and neutral. Dont want any rocking while trailering to be transferred through the trans or diffs.
20170726 182103

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I tie off at 4 separate points, with 4 straps. I leave mine in turf mode and neutral. Dont want any rocking while trailering to be transferred through the trans or diffs.
View attachment 53559
I've got a 18 foot Big Tex trailer as well, pulls great, it's got the full rail around the bed and 8 4000 lbs d rings to tie off from and had skid plate welded on the back of the trailer, not a dove tail. Our cabin is in Pettigrew AR. I was involved in a 50 MPH head on get together this January with trailer and P1 in tow. If it wasn't for the rails my P1 would have been totaled and in a ravine or in the bed of my truck. Great looking trailer!

Reactions: RiThomp70
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This is the only thing I've found that works around here. We trailer on some rediculously rough roads. No matter where you strap, it has to be below the suspension. If you strap to anything above the suspension, it will come loose because of the bouncing. This has worked well for me.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is the only thing I've found that works around here. We trailer on some rediculously rough roads. No matter where you strap, it has to be below the suspension. If you strap to anything above the suspension, it will come loose because of the bouncing. This has worked well for me.

View attachment 53562
Yea , I seen that, but for me, I have a lot of different configurations that I haul. Wonder if they have strip you could install? Well that wouldn't work for me either. I haul wood splinter and all kinds of stuff with narrower wheel base than my S x S and have a wood bed. I like the setup though.

hondapro

hondapro

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2015
Central Pa.
Ownership

1. 700-4

View attachment 53562
I use the same system,works great for me.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!