P500 Tree climbing?

D

Dynamicfigure

Jan 12, 2021
WA
Now that the new 520 is here and I've started driving it around I'm noticing everything you all have said about going about anywhere is pretty true. So far I haven't thrown a hill at it which it won't go straight up.

Some of the paths on our property are pretty ridiculously steep tho and it has me wondering if while climbing up a steep section in the little beast, if it can roll over backwards, or do you loose traction before that occurs?

I know a stupid sounding question, but a new owner is wondering.

Mind you, this is referring to going straight up the fall line and not sidehilling in any way.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
As a new SxSer, that's one of my 'fears' - I don't know when the tip over backwards angle is and have no 'feel' for it. Although not a 520, I think 'most' of them will 'climb a tree' right up until turtle -ing over. The tilt table number on a Talon is 37.3* but that's a static number, when you add in the dynamics of a rough trail, a small bump might put me over at 30* but at least I have a reference number and a tilt gauge on the dash. Out here, we get to ride a lot of sandstone called slickrock, traction is pretty much unlimited. Short version - I don't have a clue. :eek:

Last edited:
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Now that the new 520 is here and I've started driving it around I'm noticing everything you all have said about going about anywhere is pretty true. So far I haven't thrown a hill at it which it won't go straight up.

Some of the paths on our property are pretty ridiculously steep tho and it has me wondering if while climbing up a steep section in the little beast, if it can roll over backwards, or do you loose traction before that occurs?

Mind you, this is referring to going straight up the fall line and not sidehilling in any way.

That's kinda a tough one to answer. I'd say it all comes down to how heavy your right foot is. LOL!!

Reactions: toddvdh
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500

I have climbed some very steep hills with no issue. Went up a solid rock hill once, had the wife walk because I was not sure what would happen, she was on her hands and feet getting up the hill and little P5 crawled right up.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
The walking up it technique is a good one. Chances are you will lose traction before flipping over backward; however, if you stop then that's when the challenge begins, i.e., figuring out how to get back down safely. Example,

advertisement
B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Never worried about that. Think before you go. I have went up. Stuff and flipped the old 350x over on its back and side before. And I wouldnt think of trying hills lile that with a 520. I like it to much. Now we have had a hard time with switch backs and ruts going uphill. The last ride I had to go down and around a stump with a rut and I had to sit in the passenger side while the wife pushed down on the bed to get us 3 wheels on the ground without tipping it over

• Wow
Reactions: CID and Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!