P1000 Trip to Colorado....Learned some things..... Upgrade to suspension wanted.

Kaseygirl

Kaseygirl

Dec 20, 2020
Hunter NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If I were you I would just enjoy the ride take in as much of the scenery as you can smell the roses enjoy your dogs sitting next to you life is to short!! Enjoy your ride my friend 🇺🇸

Last edited:
CRob8348

CRob8348

Dec 12, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Nice to hear the upgrades worked out. Are all these trails in the same area? Would you have a link to more info? We are hoping to get a small group together and go out next year ourselves. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
No link that I know of. I just have maps that have the trails on them. Although sometimes out on the trails the trails aren't marked the best or jack wagons destroyed the signs. Lots and lots of trails coming out of the Pitkin area. We did go to Taylor Park area, didn't do any trails out of there.

Reactions: TI722 and Lady01
Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just went to the Texas Tough Customs 3" kit and Fox QS3s, and it was a massive upgrade in ride quality. You're on the right track.
Good morning, and thanks for the input. What would one budget for this upgrade?

Reactions: Remington
Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks everyone for the input. I realize it will never be a RZR and that's not my intention.... just want to close the gap a little, smooth the ride, and get rid of the rub in the front. I think everyone agrees that the stock shocks leave a lot to be desired on the rough stuff.
Decided to go with Super ATV Arms on the front, and Elka shocks.
The reason I chose Elka..... after reading MANY MANY threads in this forum, it appears that quite a few of the guys who get Fox shocks end up changing the springs down the road anyway, and that closes the gap of the total price between Fox and Elka. I like the fact that I can give Elka all my weight and set up info up front and they match the springs to that. Yes it may cost a few extra bucks, but I'd rather do it now and not have to take it back apart later.
Thanks again for all the input. This forum is fantastic!!
After all your great research, do you think the SATV A-arms are a necessity. As you pointed out, it’s best to have everything ready for the input into Elka’s programming. What turnaround time did they give you on delievery of your shocks??

sjacobson48

sjacobson48

Apr 22, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After all your great research, do you think the SATV A-arms are a necessity. As you pointed out, it’s best to have everything ready for the input into Elka’s programming. What turnaround time did they give you on delievery of your shocks??
Spoonbill - Not sure it's a complete "necessity", but I'm absolutely happy and highly recommend them. I only did the fronts for now. I have 28x10 tires with no lift, so it gave me extra clearance by moving the wheels forward just enough to eliminate the rubbing I was getting in the front at full compression. I did notice some definite loss in steering radius, but I think that's because I installed the included and recommended steering stops. Thinking about taking those back out.
Oddly enough, the difference is only noticeable turning to the right and not the left.... so maybe it's just my alignment??

As far as the delivery on the shocks.....It seemed like forever.... I think it was like 12-14 weeks, but it was also during peak pandemic time.
Very happy with the Elka's. Makes the washboard trails much more tolerable. Still figuring out which settings are best for different terrain.
Between the shocks and upgrading the door bushings to RB3, we eliminated most of the annoying rattles!!

advertisement
Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Spoonbill - Not sure it's a complete "necessity", but I'm absolutely happy and highly recommend them. I only did the fronts for now. I have 28x10 tires with no lift, so it gave me extra clearance by moving the wheels forward just enough to eliminate the rubbing I was getting in the front at full compression. I did notice some definite loss in steering radius, but I think that's because I installed the included and recommended steering stops. Thinking about taking those back out.
Oddly enough, the difference is only noticeable turning to the right and not the left.... so maybe it's just my alignment??

As far as the delivery on the shocks.....It seemed like forever.... I think it was like 12-14 weeks, but it was also during peak pandemic time.
Very happy with the Elka's. Makes the washboard trails much more tolerable. Still figuring out which settings are best for different terrain.
Between the shocks and upgrading the door bushings to RB3, we eliminated most of the annoying rattles!!
Thanks for the honest and prompt reply! Those door rattles drove me crazy until I got the RB3 Bushings. Have you noticed any increase in ground clearance with your mods and any issues with axles or steering. ball joints??

sjacobson48

sjacobson48

Apr 22, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the honest and prompt reply! Those door rattles drove me crazy until I got the RB3 Bushings. Have you noticed any increase in ground clearance with your mods and any issues with axles or steering. ball joints??
No extra height, but it does appear noticeably "wider" through the middle because of the arch in the arms.
No binding issue with axles at all, and I already mentioned the steering difference above.
When I ordered the arms, I got them with the heavy duty ball joints already installed because I didn't want to mess with changing them out.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!