Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hey guys, a friend of mine is checking out a used 2016 1000 deluxe with 1000 or so miles. I told him there is a clutch update that would have to be done to it and other than that it would be a great machine.

So question is, how does one get the update? I'm assuming take it to the dealer obviously but is it covered by Honda? Is it only for the original owner? Any help is appreciated thanks!

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys, a friend of mine is checking out a used 2016 1000 deluxe with 1000 or so miles. I told him there is a clutch update that would have to be done to it and other than that it would be a great machine.

So question is, how does one get the update? I'm assuming take it to the dealer obviously but is it covered by Honda? Is it only for the original owner? Any help is appreciated thanks!
Take it to the dealer Honda will cover it. Doesn't matter who owns it.

Reactions: JTW and Tflynn
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Need to tell your buddy that there are thousands of us that never had any clutch issues, but went ahead and had the free update done. Get the muffler and heat mod done at the same time. Should be free as well.

Reactions: sharp and Tflynn
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Saw a guy and his family at the campground we stay at a couple months ago that had a P1-5 parked next to their trailer. He said it was a 2016 so I asked him if he had the clutch update done? He said ' it's an automatic and doesn't have a clutch ', lol! Stated that he loved it and has never had any problems with it. Told him there were a couple of other updates for it as well and to check out this forum. Amazes me that someone would spend that much money on something and know nothing about it. Because of this forum, I know more about his machine than he does and I don't even own one. o_O

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Saw a guy and his family at the campground we stay at a couple months ago that had a P1-5 parked next to their trailer. He said it was a 2016 so I asked him if he had the clutch update done? He said ' it's an automatic and doesn't have a clutch ', lol! Stated that he loved it and has never had any problems with it. Told him there were a couple of other updates for it as well and to check out this forum. Amazes me that someone would spend that much money on something and know nothing about it. Because of this forum, I know more about his machine than he does and I don't even own one. o_O
Yea, but your a smart feller, this site is great for gathering information and the friendships created.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I missed this convo the 1st time around but since it's back up I'll ask this....couldn't a non updated clutch be pretty seriously f'd up without showing signs and then get the update and be a ticking bomb? Or do they replace the old one in the process of updating?

Reactions: sharp
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I missed this convo the 1st time around but since it's back up I'll ask this....couldn't a non updated clutch be pretty seriously f'd up without showing signs and then get the update and be a ticking bomb? Or do they replace the old one in the process of updating?

When the clutch cover is installed a clutch inspection is done. If bad you get free clutch installed, compliments of Honda.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
When the clutch cover is installed a clutch inspection is done. If bad you get free clutch installed, compliments of Honda.

Ahhh...Inspected....LOL. So theoretically, you could buy a 2016 with a clutch that's overused but not yet "ready" to be replaced. Got it.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I suspect you would have no
problem getting the clutch upgrade along with other recall items just bundle them all into the conversation

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!