P1000 Turn signal problem

Bulldawg Bill

Bulldawg Bill

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2024
Wilder, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hoping someone can help or has encountered this problem before. I have a universal turn signal kit, a POS the dealer was supposed to install and never got it done, so I decided to install myself. Should have eaten the cost and bought the one from the club store, but hindsight is 20/20.

There is no brand name, but when I did a reverse image search on the instructions it pulled up the universal kit from Rough Country. It doesn't have their branding, but is otherwise identical. Here's the problem. After running all the wires, drilling holes, etc., I got to the testing phase and only the rear signals flashed, front ones appeared dead. Thinking it was a wiring issue, I pulled the rear wires back out and connected them to the front signals. Both worked, establishing that the problem is not in the wiring to front signals. I next put the rear LEDs into the front signal wires, and they worked, but the front signals stopped working. It appears all the wires work, all the LEDS work, but only two will work at once. I also note that the two that work stay lit when no signal to flash is being sent, I expected them all to be off unless a turn or hazard signal to blink was being sent.

I've triple checked the wiring, I cannot find anything I did wrong, and the horn that is part of the kit works properly. I'm guessing something is wrong in the box that is the brains of the system, but before I scrap it and buy a new one I thought I'd see if anyone can help. It is solidly grounded.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: TxDoc
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
See if reversing the polarity to one set or the other will rectify it. Your system may have running and flashing lights. My Ryco kit has that and the difference between the running and flashing lights was so imperceptible that I added two more leds to the flash circuit

Bulldawg Bill

Bulldawg Bill

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2024
Wilder, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
See if reversing the polarity to one set or the other will rectify it. Your system may have running and flashing lights. My Ryco kit has that and the difference between the running and flashing lights was so imperceptible that I added two more leds to the flash circuit
Thanks, I'll give it a try after work.

Bulldawg Bill

Bulldawg Bill

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2024
Wilder, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They are only 2 wire, and definitely not flashing, when I disconnect the other pair it's obvious when they are flashing.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Some of the electronic flasher relays are polarity sensitive. Yours may be burnt.

Reactions: StewB
Bulldawg Bill

Bulldawg Bill

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2024
Wilder, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, the plot thickens. Reversing the polarity did not work, but in the midst of doing it I noticed something else - it will flash one front and one rear one, so ANY combination of two will flash, but add a third and/or fourth and none of them work. I threw a volt meter on it and it appears it's only sending 6 to 9 volts out, perhaps not enough to run it? The connections in are solid, and there is plenty of juice to run the horn (I replaced the cheap one that came with it with an air horn, works like a charm). So, guessing the electronic box is fried, unless someone else has any idea why the voltages would be low and/or how to increase them?