Turns out the SuperATV winch plate doesn't fit all winches..

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So, tonight i went to mount my winch for the second time in 2 weeks. 1ST time, SuperATV sent me two left side brackets instead of one each. It happens...and today i got the other one and spent a bit of time trying to put it on...

AND GUESS WHAT? My Champion 4500#'s forward mounting base sits over the edge of where the lower brace bolts come through, so it looks like i am going to have to maybe grind the corners off to make it fit, and drill 2 holes in the Champion fair-lead bracket, since neither of the SATV brackets fit. I love taking new parts and making them look butch...

The Champion is the same winch sold by a dozen names, so you better be sure that yousr fits before you buy the SATV mount.

The irony is that i have a new -in-the-box KFI that i decided to sell because i liked the way the SATV mount mounted better.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
Re: Turns out the SuperATV winch plate doesn't fit all winch

that sucks i figured they would make good products

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com

I dont understand what you talking about really...

The winch you have has a different bolt pattern then our winch plate?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

SuperATV said:
I dont understand what you talking about really...

The winch you have has a different bolt pattern then our winch plate?
No, my winch uses the smaller pattern of the 2, which puts the base of the winch so close to the bolts for the brace from the diff that there is no way to install the winch without grinding out pockets in the base of the winch housing to clear the heads of the bolts.

I dont see how any winch using the smaller pattern could be mounted without doing this.

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013

Does that winch mount the winch upside down like the kfi. Not that it matters but just wondering. I was very happy with the way the kfi mount was just thought it was odd it mounted upside down.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

wyo700 said:
Does that winch mount the winch upside down like the kfi. Not that it matters but just wondering. I was very happy with the way the kfi mount was just thought it was odd it mounted upside down.
NO. Right side up.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

Well...just got through with my 4th attempt at mounting my winch with this mount.

I drilled the holes in the Champion base plate as i discussed before, only to find that the cable exits too low and would always rub the front bumper...

So then i drilled holes in the taller SATV fairlead mount to match my roller FL ( the shorter one would be too short as well ), and then realized that the cable would be forced to go up and over the bottom roller on the FL at all times, and there would always be pressure forcing it down anytime there was a pull. I thought about reversing the cable on the spool to pull from the top, but realized that the cable would then rub the upper brace on the winch.

At this point i resolved to just let the cable go up and over the FL from the bottom, but as soon as i investigated this, i realized that i would have to cut the SATV fair-lead bracket out on the bottom to keep the cable from rubbing there....further weakening the bracket, while having down-force on it at all times...

And so forth and so on...until i just pulled it all back off and said to hell with it.

I bought the SATV mount because i had concerns that the KFI mount i had never even taken out of the wrapper would not have enough support from the bumper welds to hold up under mega loads. It appears that to make the SATV mount work, i will have to grind, cut, and drill so much that any gains would be negated.

At this time i am pretty much resolved to using the KFI, which looks as though it will take all of 15 minutes to mount. I just wish i hadn't ground on the base of my new winch in an attempt to it fit. If you order it, you better make sure somebody has used the combo before.

[

C

chuck

Dec 14, 2013

I have the SATV mount with superwinch terra 45 winch. Not mounted yet, ... Hopefully it mounts ok. Not sure if I can check before I install, the pioneer isn't nearby.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

If its one of the "wide spool" types it will probably be fine. Also, check that the taller fair lead bracket from SATV approx matches the center height of your drum. If you need the shorter one, you may have bumper interference. Mock ft the whole thing first, including the bumper.

C

chuck

Dec 14, 2013

Did a quick fit check. It seems my terra will mount fine. i did notice though if I use the fairlead mount plate that came with the winch, the cable will exit low near the mounting plate (as it should). From looking at the pictures the cable might interfere with the front bumper as you indicated. I may have to mount the fairlead up higher, which would probably be ok.

advertisement
C

chuck

Dec 14, 2013

Just thinking, maybe I can mount the fairlead on the bumper to avoid interference?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!