P500 Twitchy on pavement

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Sorry if this is a stupid question; I haven't near the SxS experience of most of you. Why is no one suggesting reinstalling the sway bar that was removed? After all, isn't its purpose to counter the problem of side-to-side rocking?

Again, sorry if the answer is obvious to all but me. I'll just return to the children's table. :)
That's a good question to ask! I've had a similar experience as JSPEED when my tire pressures were low, with and without the sway bar, so I don't think that is the problem. If he found it leaning too much on turns, at speed, then the sway bar might be the culprit. Just my thoughts...

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
Sorry if this is a stupid question; I haven't near the SxS experience of most of you. Why is no one suggesting reinstalling the sway bar that was removed? After all, isn't its purpose to counter the problem of side-to-side rocking?

Again, sorry if the answer is obvious to all but me. I'll just return to the children's table. :)

Is your knees hitting your chin yet at the kindergarten table? :D

On the 500 most of us remove the sway bar to allow the most travel in the suspension. The ride is certainly improved for the trade-off of stability!

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500

I was thinking the same thing but I agree with all the other comments about adding some air pressure. I still have my sway bar hooked up as I drive a lot on hard roads. I have fake big horns (bias ply) and I run at 8psi. Even with the sway bar connected it will wiggle every now and then especially in a curve.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not but adding a little toe in will make it more stable. If it’s toe out it would make the steering a little more sensitive and with a short wheel base and narrow width that may be felt as twitches. Does anyone know what the toe should be?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
4lbs all way around
What kind of tires?? I recently rode with a guy the day he brought his P1000-5 LE home. He ordered it with s 3” lift and some BA tires (I forget what they are) and after an hour ride, he was ready to take it back, very pissed off. He traded in a RZR on it. He said the ride sucked. We checked his air pressure, he had 15lbs all the way around and the tires said 6 PSI max!! The side wall on his tires is so stout, they stand up empty. With 4 PSI he’s now happy and not threatening to return it anymore.

Reactions: Mudwing
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
On the 500 most of us remove the sway bar to allow the most travel in the suspension. The ride is certainly improved for the trade-off of stability!
Agreed.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I'm running 8-9 psi on my 26" Roctanes on the original rims. It runs great on pavement. Most of my riding is on gravel and we squeeze between alot of trees on the tighter trails. I can't imagine going 4 psi even on my quad. As soon as I had the Roctanes, all that wallow on cornering disappeared.
My $0.02

Al

advertisement
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Low air usually feels like your riding a big girl on waves, twitchy is usually alignment, mostly toe. Get the alignment correct while running higher pressures (depending on tire and weight 14 psi +) and then lower psi to suit comfort, responsiveness in steering higher speed and tire bulge when flexed.

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
I’m running 27x9-14 Terrabites and they have a oval to them. The tread isn’t flat and I’m thinking that maybe that’s part of my issue as well as low pesssure! Getting a air pump today and trying them to see the difference

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Does anyone notice their P5 being twitchy if driving on pavement? Sway bar is off and I get a lot of twitchy side to side rocking when driving. Sway bar is removed. 1.5" spacers on rear only. using 12" aftermarket 5+2 rims with low air pressure. I'm thinking that this maybe the reason as my old 14" rims on the old P5 didn't do this hardly at all. I wonder if its in the rim size, air pressure or something else? I wonder if front 1" spacers would help?? thoughts???
My question is...what is this "pavement" you speak of?

Reactions: Mudwing
WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

My check koozie light, keeps coming on
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What kind of tires?? I recently rode with a guy the day he brought his P1000-5 LE home. He ordered it with s 3” lift and some BA tires (I forget what they are) and after an hour ride, he was ready to take it back, very pissed off. He traded in a RZR on it. He said the ride sucked. We checked his air pressure, he had 15lbs all the way around and the tires said 6 PSI max!! The side wall on his tires is so stout, they stand up empty. With 4 PSI he’s now happy and not threatening to return it anymore.
He had 20+ in one of them. Lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I’m running 27x9-14 Terrabites and they have a oval to them. The tread isn’t flat and I’m thinking that maybe that’s part of my issue as well as low pesssure! Getting a air pump today and trying them to see the difference
Evo’s Have an oval profile as well. I had a 52 Willy’s M-38 Jeep with military NDT (non directional tread) tires and unless fully inflated it was squirrely as all get out on pavement, which is why I ran my Evo’s at 14psi on the bridge crossing to ride the center rib per say.
If I’m only going a short distance on pavement and mostly off road I put up with the twitchy steering, however I also carry a portable pump to adjust pressure if needed. Always a trade off, on and off road.
I do think the EPS helps on pavement, still twitchy but somewhat more behaved.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I bought a new gauge today to replace my very old one. It reads abou one PSI higher, so I may be running up to 7 psi, but usually stay around 5.5 -6

tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Reactions: DG Rider
R

RickM

Jan 19, 2017
Moved from Chelsea, AL, to Bigfork, MT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alignment?
I agree that its the alignment. I had the same issue when mine was new. In a curve it would lean inward and then violently go outward. Scared my wife. I thought that is just the way they handled until one of my front tires was nearly worn out at 200 miles. I carried it to a local alignment shop and had it checked. Toe-in on one side was out by 1 inch and the other side was out by 2 inches. Handles great now. My dealer says this is not covered by warranty. I could see this causing an accident and a potential law suit. Can’t believe Honda ships them that way.

Reactions: Gassygordo
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!