P1000 Under Roof Storage?

Bigred48

Bigred48

Jun 2, 2018
Peoria Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone come up with any under the roof storage ideas for P1000-5? Im thinking of making something above bed area to store lightweight items. 6-10" storage area.

Reactions: VaHillbilly
J

JTW

Has anyone come up with any under the roof storage ideas for P1000-5? Im thinking of making something above bed area to store lightweight items. 6-10" storage area.
So, I keep my alien shade on and just stuff stuff under it. I figure it doesn’t weigh anything and if I do want to lose the roof on a ride. I already have the alien shade installed.

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, I keep my alien shade on and just stuff stuff under it. I figure it doesn’t weigh anything and if I do want to lose the roof on a ride. I already have the alien shade installed.
Does the alien shade have cut outs around stock roof clamps? If so that’s a great idea and I will be looking into it.

Bigred48

Bigred48

Jun 2, 2018
Peoria Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a great idea! I'll definitely check into that . I was also thinking of mounting a lightweight cargo rack with the quick connects that honda uses on the roll bar.

Reactions: VaHillbilly and JTW
Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I ended up leaving the c brace on the roof and just took the clamps off the middle ones. I honestly feel that it could be trailered like that with no problems as the roof still felt tight. But since I was trailering to the Coalmont ride, I ran a ratchet strap thru the c braces and strapped it down to be safe. I’ve already taken the ratchet strap off and probably won’t use it going to an in state ride. Oh, I also put some pipe tube foam around the c brace to keep it from cutting into the shade, just in case.

J

JTW

I ended up leaving the c brace on the roof and just took the clamps off the middle ones. I honestly feel that it could be trailered like that with no problems as the roof still felt tight. But since I was trailering to the Coalmont ride, I ran a ratchet strap thru the c braces and strapped it down to be safe. I’ve already taken the ratchet strap off and probably won’t use it going to an in state ride. Oh, I also put some pipe tube foam around the c brace to keep it from cutting into the shade, just in case.
I’ve always heard your roof was loose!

hardlyworkin

hardlyworkin

Aug 5, 2016
Beckley, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No.. I just used an electric hot knife and cut my holes... but I don’t think that’s completely needed if you cut a clean round hole. However, the hot knife makes it a lot easier.
How long ago did you cut the holes in your sunshade? Do the holes show any signs of expanding or causing any problems?
I have been thinking about doing this but haven't yet because I didn't know if it would mess it up.

VaHillbilly

VaHillbilly

NTC immigrant gardner
Supporting Member
Nov 16, 2018
Sw VA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great idea running two roofs! I only have the alien sunshade for now, been thinking about a hard roof. Is Honda brand the best route? Does it hold in alot more heat than just a sunshade?

Bigred48

Bigred48

Jun 2, 2018
Peoria Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great idea running two roofs! I only have the alien sunshade for now, been thinking about a hard roof. Is Honda brand the best route? Does it hold in alot more heat than just a sunshade?
I like the Honda top but the only thing i dont like is you gain around 3" so difficult to get into Toy hauler! If i would do it again id go with the aluminum flat top. Just an idea to research. I dont get heat trapped in too bad.

Reactions: VaHillbilly and JTW
J

JTW

I like the Honda top but the only thing i dont like is you gain around 3" so difficult to get into Toy hauler! If i would do it again id go with the aluminum flat top. Just an idea to research. I dont get heat trapped in too bad.
I wouldn’t do aluminum.. maybe uhmw or something like that.

J

JTW

Honestly.. I never use the alien. I prefer the hard roof.

VaHillbilly

VaHillbilly

NTC immigrant gardner
Supporting Member
Nov 16, 2018
Sw VA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds good. I dont have a toy hauler just a open car trailer, looking at an enclosed trailer that can haul 2 sxs maybe next year, working on some to pull it this year. I'm more of a motel person than a camper. I know that's a minority on here but ican stay in alot of motels for the $$ of a camper. Thinking about a 24' enclosed trailer so I have room inside with 2 machines, or an old car

VaHillbilly

VaHillbilly

NTC immigrant gardner
Supporting Member
Nov 16, 2018
Sw VA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly.. I never use the alien. I prefer the hard roof.
I think I would like a hard roof once I get it! More storage and waterproof!
I misunderstood then I thought u ran the sunshade under the hard roof .

Reactions: JTW
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One of the issues with storing stuff up at roof level is any additional weight up that high will affect you on leans but it all depends on how you ride

G

graybear

Nov 20, 2013
East Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use my original Honda storage bag from my 700. For around $60 it offers a lot of storage in 6 or 7 divided pockets. It attaches to the upper rear cross bar.

Reactions: Bigred48
Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
One of the issues with storing stuff up at roof level is any additional weight up that high will affect you on leans but it all depends on how you ride
x2 on this... on the Mill Creek ride, I could tell there was a fresh 50+ lbs up at the roof from the steel tubes and bars I used to mount the amp and sub. Before the Coalmont ride, I changed everything to aluminum and it shaved off over 40 lbs... felt like the stuff wasn’t up there.

H

hibbert

Nov 9, 2020
CR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do.. I just prefer the hard roof. I’ve ran the alien around the house here but not solely on a ride.

Do you have any photos of the alien shade installed with hard roof please?

I am thinking it would be a great place to store some lightweight fold up chairs/table.

I was thinking about Heavy Duty Custom Tarps or a cargo net up there or something

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!