ACfixer

ACfixer

Global Warming Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I figured out a way I can get to work legally with my 1000-5 - But firearms are a no-go inside the gates so I need to lock my sidearm up in my vehicle. Any suggestions on locking my Glock 19 out of sight?

Reactions: TxDoc
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A small handgun safe is the best I can think of. I'm sure there'd be a way to securely mount it, but I'm not sure how hidden out of sight it would be unless you cut it in under the driver's seat.

Reactions: ACfixer
ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A small handgun safe is the best I can think of. I'm sure there'd be a way to securely mount it, but I'm not sure how hidden out of sight it would be unless you cut it in under the driver's seat.

I was thinking that, a $20 locking cable box... I have one of those lying around I'm sure. I guess I could open it up and screw it to the floor but the problem is I don't think that safe will allow me to put it in holstered. I don't really want to be jacking around with an un-holstered live weapon. I generally just remove the whole rig and put it in my console in my truck since the truck locks up.

I'd be parking it right by the entrance and it's got plenty of eyeballs around there so it doesn't need to be super secure really, even a lock on the glovebox would probably be ok.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I figured out a way I can get to work legally with my 1000-5 - But firearms are a no-go inside the gates so I need to lock my sidearm up in my vehicle. Any suggestions on locking my Glock 19 out of sight?
I'm not sure of the best box but I would want to put it somewhere hidden. What about under the seat. The make storage box you can buy to go under the seat. You could get that, then a small gunsafe box and you could even cable it as suggested above. Good luck, sounds cool to be able to drive it to work. I do something part-time work and drive mine once in a while.

Reactions: Farmer and ACfixer
ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not sure of the best box but I would want to put it somewhere hidden. What about under the seat. The make storage box you can buy to go under the seat. You could get that, then a small gunsafe box and you could even cable it as suggested above. Good luck, sounds cool to be able to drive it to work. I do something part-time work and drive mine once in a while.

I think that is going to be the answer. I need to do that mod anyway...

Reactions: Farmer
ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Okay guys I found a locking box on Amazon that I think will hold my pistol IN the holster which is what I prefer by far. I am thinking I can find a place under the seat to cable it to, or just screw it down in there maybe. It doesn't need to be pry bar secure as the M/C parking area is right under some office windows and a security cam. I'm not sure it this will be compatible with that common under seat mod for this rig, I'll have to dig a little deeper to see if that's the case.

The lock box will be here Tuesday, I'll post pics of the mod for anyone else looking for a handgun storage solution.

ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got this one from Amazon for about $25. Holds a G19 sized pistol AND holster perfectly. I'll post pics after I get it situated under the seat.

Reactions: Bighat and Farmer
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Under the seat doesn't sound all that convenient to get to, that is unless it's attached to the underside of the seat. Also, I'd for sure consider putting in a vehicle alarm system. You could use switches on the doors so that if door is opened, without turning off the alarm with a key fob remote, the alarm sounds. Could be local, notify you, or both.

Besides the door switches, that are pretty much bullet proof and would almost never false alarm, some units also have a motion sensor. This is okay so long as it's not set too sensitive that wind etc. sets if off.

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since it opens like a clamshell, could you mount it to the front base of the bench seat? Right behind the legs of the center passenger, hinge down. There’s steel behind the plastic you could secure to.
It wouldn’t be out of sight, but it would be more handy than under the seat. And you could cover it with a tarp, drop cloth, or other detritus you might carry in the cab.
And keep your Rottweiler on the front seat.

ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's only for the purpose of being able to lock it away while at work guys, convenience not really an issue but you bring up some interesting points and I'll look at other mounting options. I was just going to find a place to secure that cable under the seat somewhere or screw it down in there. The parking area is very well lit and in plain view of the offices, most any other places I would go I am carrying the pistol.

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would mount it as much out of sight as you can and personally I wouldn't even consider it without a locking cab. Most places even if you have it locked properly according to the legal definition you could still be held liable if someone gets it.

ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fortunately the sheriff of Sullivan County believes in locking up the bad guys not the good guys. Like I said, it's going to be beneath security cameras in a security patrol parking lot right in front of an office building. Tennessee state law puts me well within my legal rights to do exactly what I'm doing. :cool:

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fortunately the sheriff of Sullivan County believes in locking up the bad guys not the good guys. Like I said, it's going to be beneath security cameras in a security patrol parking lot right in front of an office building. Tennessee state law puts me well within my legal rights to do exactly what I'm doing. :cool:

That is actually the case in most states, I'd think. In a former, pre-retirement life, I was an Oakland CA cop and then founded an alarm company. I don't know it all but do know some. If the gun is legally possessed and locked up, and a bad guy breaks in and steals it to use in some nefarious manner, the owner isn't going to be held liable.

Reactions: Farmer and ACfixer
ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is actually the case in most states, I'd think. In a former, pre-retirement life, I was an Oakland CA cop and then founded an alarm company. I don't know it all but do know some. If the gun is legally possessed and locked up, and a bad guy breaks in and steals it to use in some nefarious manner, the owner isn't going to be held liable.

Glad you made it out, Oakland... jeeeze. What is the plane, Maule? Hard to get a take from the Avatar pic. C-180?

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Do you have a roof? If so, could you mount it up there and conceal the box somehow? Maybe like in a stereo console or something?

Reactions: GovtMule

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!