MKULTRA

Account Closed
Account Self Deleted
Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2019
IA
Ownership

1. 700-2
I thought i would share this In case anybody is curious about a purchasing & installing a cab heater system...

So after a couple of years of debating about installing a heater (& pricing about every kind out there) in my 2014 700, i decided on the UPI “Inferno” heater system. I purchased it through SideXSideStuff.com located in Missouri for $400.01. Free shipping & only took a coupla days to get, but i am also located in Iowa. You can also buy direct from the manufacturer at universalpartsinc.com. However they charge $450. They are located in Humboldt Iowa.

I would have liked to go with the OE Honda system, but just couldn’t see spending that much.

I did exchange several emails with the manufacturers salesman about this kit concerning heat output, & plumbing. This kit comes with 5/8” heater hose & “T”s, & is meant to tie into the radiator hoses. I did tell the salesman that Honda no longer plumbs this way & have switched to coming off the oil coler, etc. He said if i wanted to do the same with their kit that woul be fine also. He didn’t say why they don’t do it like Honda.

I did plumb Hondas way as it provides faster, better, more consistent heat, & i liked the idea of extra cooling for the engine oil.

I did use 3/4” heater hose since the block & oil cooler nipples are that size. The only problem is that the heater core nipples are 5/8”, but the larger hoses will hose clamp down.

The install went pretty smooth. It took about 6 hours, but I tend to be a little picky.

The only negatives i had was :

1- The instructions call for using a 2 1/2” hole saw for the 4 vents, but the ones that came with the kit required 2 5/8”. And YES i drilled first, then discovered this, but i I was able to enlargen the holes using a carbide burr, so it wasn’t a huge deal. A file would work too, the burrs are just faster. 2 vents go where the big safety decal is on the dash & the other 2 go under the dash.

2- There is part of a dash bracket behind where the drivers side dash vent goes. The instructions say the vent will fit with the bracket there, but it will not. I knew this going in as this is talked about in the online reviews. After looking at this for a while & making sure the part of this bracket could be cut out without weaking anything, i used a sawzall through the vent hole & grinder under the dash to remove it. It is tight under there & getting the angle grinder with a cutoff wheel in was tricky, but possible. Just be carefull not to burn or melt anything. With the part of the bracket gone the vent & hose fits just fine.

The kit calls for electrical supply right off the battery, but i just came from the accessory fuse. I may change this in the future. I did install a Honda volt guage to monitor the elect system since it is common for me to run the heater, winch & lights at the same time. This heater doesn’t seem to draw much, which i was glad to see.

For now i zip tied a piece of window screen over the fan housing opening in hopes of keeping out debris. I will probably re-do this.

Overall the kit in my opinion is extremely well made, especially the core & motor assembly. The unit is heavy & the core is encase in a stout metal box. I did seal the core box around the seams with silicone, just to keep a little hot air from escaping. The provided 2 speed selector switch is lit & heavy duty. The vents are plastic but are pretty thick & sturdy & the vent hose is very flexible & is thicker than i would have expected.

The kit has been in operation for about a month now & I am surprised with the amount of heat this provides. It has no problem keeping the windows from fogging up & de-iced as well. The floor vents do keep my feet very warm also. It gets warm enough inside that i usually switch back & fourth between hi & low fan speeds. I can push snow, etc with no gloves or stocking hat on & wear my normal non-insulated work boots. It’s not as hot as a car or truck, but darn close.

That being said, my machine does have the full hard Honda cab system, but i think it would do well in a machine with canvas doors too. I have also sealed the cab up using black foam pieces, & black spray foam which i trimmed after curing. Doing this even made the cab less noisy.

My only concern is if the motor ever quits & if a replacement is available. But i’m sure the manufacturer has motors only available. Just might take some more emailing.

For anybody agonizing over buying a heater kit like i was, i would have to highly recommend the UPI “Inferno” kit. Don’t get me wrong, $400 is a lot of money, but I do think this kit is worth it & am glad i went ahead with this project.

Thanks for readin...

8EF5EFFE 3E96 4803 A0D6 23F5655A2538 F4DCA876 DE71 4D77 9FA3 6949134E0CC4 DF229FAB 95B0 4F7F 8A89 19CA89798316

Tim-1000 XT-R

Tim-1000 XT-R

Nov 2, 2018
Oakdale, MN
Thank you for the review. I'm thinking about doing the same setup.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Yup heaters are great in the cold weather. I have one from honda installed on my 700 it's nice to go out to plow and not have to be dressed in 5 layers of clothes just to stay warm.

M

MNice

Oct 4, 2018
mn
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have been thinking about a heater, but after this winter, I'm glad I didn't buy one. I have a 700-4 with a hard top and soft doors & rear panel. I live in MN and was out for about 3 hours plowing & ice fishing in below 0 weather and was just fine, a little cool, but I was expecting that when below zero. I have no problem with fogging due to the massive air infiltration, in fact, as leaky as the cab is, I don't think a heater would work very well anyways.

Reactions: Stoney
T

The Welder

Nov 22, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hello. I just ordered the Inferno heater for our 2019 700-4 Deluxe. It’s cold in northern Alberta. Plowing/Hunting and general riding sucks in extreme cold. Hopefully the install goes well. I had a line on a Maradyne Santa Fe heater that would have mounted between the two front passengers. But on second thought, I ordered the Inferno. Yes it’s more money but it looks “factory” and our gun dogs or any passenger won’t end up stepping on it. Or even spill something on it. I figured do it once and do it right. We have a soft cab but hard top with a window between the cabs. I’ll have to fill the gaps around the soft doors.

Reactions: Buggyman

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!